Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tripod adapter

I must be the only person that doesn't like the quick release setups on tripods. My dads old vivitar had a captive screw on the head that you just spun in the hole. Not too hard! I just don't llike the extra stuff on the bottom of my camera or camcorder that keep it from sitting flat.

My question is - does anyone know of an adapter to turn a quick release plate to a standard captive screw so I dont have to use the plate?

06-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If I'm reading you correctly, you're wanting to know if there are any tripod heads that don't have quick release? I'm assuming that you still want something like a ball head, but without the QR plate. If that's the case, then you can definitely get a ball head without a QR plate. How about this?
486 Bogen - Manfrotto Compact Ball Head - Supports 13.2 lbs
I've got this one with the QR plate and it's quite sturdy.
If you're interested in a pan/tilt head, they're harder to find without the QR plates, but here's an example of one:
PH250 Velbon PH-250 Magnesium 3-Way Pan / Tilt Head with Level, Supports 11 lbs.

HTH,
Heather
06-09-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, heres the scoop - I am not looking to invest much, as I would probably sink more into a better tripod eventually. I just have a basic $50 camera store special. It came with the standard dovetail qr plate. I just don't like using the qr plate, as I first have to mount the plate to the camera (one of 3) or my recorder, then mount that to the tripod. Also, when changing back I have to undo this. If I want to swap from camera to camcorder, undo all the stuff and redo it all. I would get extra plates, however I just don't like to have the plate mounted on the camera all the time. Makes it wobble too much. I would rather just screw it on! I just wondered if anyone made a replacement qr plate or an adapter that screwed on the standard post and would provide the old school captive thumbscrew attachment. I'd ask at my camera store, but they can't get past that I have a Pentax rather than a Canon and look at me strange. Not too strong in camera stores around me. Just one national chain - one guess who.
06-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

can you remove the panhead assembly from the shoulders of the tripod? if you can do that, there is where you will mount your new ballhead

06-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sabarrett Quote
Well, heres the scoop - I am not looking to invest much, as I would probably sink more into a better tripod eventually. I just have a basic $50 camera store special. It came with the standard dovetail qr plate.
Is the current head removable and does the tripod column have the standard 3/8 mounting screw? If so, you might look for a Slik Master Classic or Slik SBH-XXX head. The MC heads show up on ebay fairly regularly.

Jeff
06-10-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

It is possible to buy 3/8" to 1/4" adaptor and do away with the ball head as well and just screw the camera straight on the "shoulders" of the tripod. Bit tricky to do portraits but you can possibly use the tripod legs to move the camera off the horizontal x and z planes.
06-10-2008, 06:09 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
with the exception of the "extra bit" that gets screwed onto the bottom of the camera, I don't see a real issue with quick release if it is done correctly. they are good, and hold the camera firmly.

I have 2 monfretto ball heads (type 468) and 4 adaptor plates. (each head came with 2)

Multiple adaptors would be more sensible than the frustration of using a tripod without a head.

If you really want to use the tripod screw only, you can get many different heads that don't have quick release. Most are made to use either 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch post screws, and come with a 3/8 to 1/4 adaptor as well.

06-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really Right Stuff in California makes very high quality quick release plates that also incorporate standard threads so you can thread into the plate or use it in Arca Swiss style dovetail brackets.

Based on your description, the RRS plates are pretty spendy, but once you try one of their L bracket plates (for vertical and horizontal shooting without changing the framing or adjusting the tripod) you could get hooked.

Most of us quick changers buy a plate for each camera body and each tripod collar equipped lens. The cost of a couple more plates for your existing system would solve your problem--except you'd still have a plate under each camera, which you say you dislike...

Curious...when you say you don't like the plates because your cameras don't sit flat with a plate, I'm guessing you mean your cameras don't sit flat when you sit your camera on the kitchen table? My somewhat snide (sorry) comment would be to prioritize. What's more important, how the camera and plate works in the field on your tripod or how it works sitting on your coffee table? Everybody's working style differs so maybe I'm missing something here?

Last edited by Ron Boggs; 06-10-2008 at 07:02 AM. Reason: one more comment
06-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I understand what you are talking about regarding your camera not sitting flat. I solved that problem. Since the front of the lens is flat, I simply stand my camera up on the flat end of the lens. No, no, j/k!!

I have the quick release plate on the bottom, and I guess I have just gotten used to it being there, so it doesn't bother me.
06-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The Bogen plates didn't impress me one bit. Completely wobbly, completely overpriced.

Luckily, I got to play with one of these yesterday, and it's "the one" after searching for a long time. The Tracker 1 is also available if you're shorter than I (no offense intended, I'm 6'3" and I only need to extend the center column by like 2").

Look closely at the larger picture. See the little screw head on the "back" of the QR area? That squeezes the plate down and holds it down. There is a little trigger on the right side, easily accessible while grasping the camera with the left hand. The plate actually slides out to the right, so it sits in a groove instead of just floating like the Bogen.

Just my findings Oh, and the movements are very very smooth...