Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
FA31 cheap filters for lens hood and how to remove glass

Hi

I've just ordered the FA31 and read a lot about the lens hood issues, and have decided that the cheap, glass-less, stacked filters option seems to be the best for me. So now I'm wondering where is the best place to get said cheap filters and how to remove the glass from them? (I'm in Melbourne, Australia so shipping from overseas is probably not an option)

Also, if I use an ND filter on it, it would be best to put it directly on the lens before putting the stacked filter hood on?

David

05-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This thing is really the best option:
http://www.amazon.com/%C3%9855-8mm-%C3%9858mm-DMC-FZ18-DMC-FZ28-DMC-FZ35-Con...rds=janco+58mm

There's this one from China:
Metal 58mm Standard Lens Hood with Screw Mount for Canon Nikon Pentax Lens | eBay

Sure looks like the same thing, since you have to remove the inner portion of the Janco one to make it work.
05-20-2015, 06:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
This thing is really the best option:
Amazon.com : Janco 58mm lens adapter 55.8mm-58mm for LUMIX DMC-FZ18, DMC-FZ28, DMC-FZ35 and DMC-FZ38 to accept 58MM Filter or Lens Converters : Camera Lens Adapters : Electronics

There's this one from China:
Metal 58mm Standard Lens Hood with Screw Mount for Canon Nikon Pentax Lens | eBay

Sure looks like the same thing, since you have to remove the inner portion of the Janco one to make it work.
Thanks, do you know how it works with an ND filter (for example) and also lens cap? The ebay option would be better for shipping costs.
David

Last edited by dtra; 05-20-2015 at 06:36 PM.
05-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The cap doesn't fit over it too well. It does fit and stays but it's not as stable. I'd recommend a pinch cap anyway, since the fancy metal cap can scrape up the sides when you take it on and off, felt be damned. (There was a unit someone on the forum was selling here that displayed this issue.)

Filters just go underneath it. Screw the filter onto the lens, then screw the hood on. It's better that way. The exterior of the Janco one does have 58mm filter threads, but it's not recommended to attach the filter to the outside of the hood. It negates the purpose of the hood, since stray light can just enter the filter. Plus, you introduce a good chance for internal reflections.

05-20-2015, 08:52 PM   #5

Original Poster
Cool, thanks, now to find a lens cap for it then
06-08-2015, 03:44 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dtra Quote
Cool, thanks, now to find a lens cap for it then
hmm, turns out that the chinese hood didn't fit between the built-in lens hood, do you know what size lens cap goes on the janco hood? Is it just a standard 58mm pinch cap?

Last edited by dtra; 06-08-2015 at 05:27 PM.
06-09-2015, 06:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks, I might give that a try if this other hood doesn't do the job.

06-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dtra Quote
hmm, turns out that the chinese hood didn't fit between the built-in lens hood, do you know what size lens cap goes on the janco hood? Is it just a standard 58mm pinch cap?
Yes. Standard 58mm cap.