Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2015, 12:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
AF360FGZ II Flash batteries mAh value, weather sealing and use with K3

I am about to get the Pentax flash AF360FGZ II, checked the manual and some reviews about, but I am still not very clear about 3 aspects:
1. I didn't got the printed manual but from the online one - link bellow, there is a reference for the recharge time and number of flashes depending on the kind of the batteries used.
For Ni-MH 2500mAh recharge time is 1.5s and 300 flashes. Does the mAh value really matter, can be used lower or higher then the one mentioned in the manual?

2. The weather sealing, how good it is, as in the manual is still stated:
- Avoid leaving the flash unit for extended period in places where the humidity and temperature are very high such as in a car.
-The flash unit is designed to be water-proof and dust-proof. However, do not use the flash unit where it may be directly exposed to rain, water, etc.
I am not that kind of guy who like to push the gear limits, but still, as I am planning to travel to Hong Kong and at this time the weather is very mixed rain and sun, should I start to worry of every rain drop on my flash?
I must say, I am very happy with the weather sealing of the K3 and the lenses 18-135WR, used in pouring rain almost all day without any issues.

3. The online manual made no references on K3 camera, perhaps is an older online version, but just to make sure, does all the flash functions works with K3?
http://www.ricoh-imaging.eu/media/231d4bc28cff152435590cd76a3f1fae/AF540FGZ_..._II-OPM-EN.pdf

05-24-2015, 05:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cake Quote
I am about to get the Pentax flash AF360FGZ II, checked the manual and some reviews about, but I am still not very clear about 3 aspects:
1. I didn't got the printed manual but from the online one - link bellow, there is a reference for the recharge time and number of flashes depending on the kind of the batteries used.
For Ni-MH 2500mAh recharge time is 1.5s and 300 flashes. Does the mAh value really matter, can be used lower or higher then the one mentioned in the manual?
You can use lower but you won't get as many shots out of them. Amp-time is a measure of energy, so the higher the number, the more energy the battery can provide--tells you how long they last. You won't find anything higher than 2500; they're just not made, at least not as AA batteries.

QuoteQuote:
The online manual made no references on K3 camera, perhaps is an older online version, but just to make sure, does all the flash functions works with K3?
http://www.ricoh-imaging.eu/media/231d4bc28cff152435590cd76a3f1fae/AF540FGZ_..._II-OPM-EN.pdf
It would be pretty unspeakable for it to do everything with the K-5IIs and not do it all with the current flagship model.
05-24-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see, thank you, how about the weather sealing, still can take some shots in a rainy day, or better to avoid that all together. I don't have any experience for use of flash in such conditions and is my first flash of this kind.
05-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't venture out into the rain. My lenses aren't sealed, since I shoot all FA and Sigma lenses. Can't help you much about the weather sealing!

05-24-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been under a 100 foot waterfall with my K10D and DA* 16-50 with no problems before, during or after. If Ricoh says their Pentax flash is Weather Resistant, (WR is not water resistant, it's weather resistant) it is weather resistant. The hot humid car warning is for real. Cars are notoriously not beneficial to electronic gadgetry. Some of us use coolers to prevent overheating in desert conditions.
05-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have been under a 100 foot waterfall with my K10D and DA* 16-50 with no problems before, during or after. If Ricoh says their Pentax flash is Weather Resistant, (WR is not water resistant, it's weather resistant) it is weather resistant. The hot humid car warning is for real. Cars are notoriously not beneficial to electronic gadgetry. Some of us use coolers to prevent overheating in desert conditions.
I have a good experience with my 18-135WR lenses and by that I mean, carrying and taking shots all day long in snowy and rainy days without any issues, so to me WR means quite a lot when is about lenses, it seems thought that for the flash I have to be more cautious when is about using it in the same conditions. The WR for lenses not the same as WR for the flash I see.
05-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect that there is a need for a good seal around the hot shoe, although the trigger voltage is low enough not to do you any harm, or harm the flash and/or camera. The high voltage is inside the case, and should be relatively safe.