Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Memorycards reliability

I have now used two diffrent manufacturer cards Transcend and Kingston SDHC cards. Size is both 8Gb. Usually as a new cards takes about 330 pictures in DNG format, pictures size is then little over 23Mb. Problem is that both cards are now somehow failed and Transcend eq. stops after 200 pictures...
Are todays cards disposable? Both has been format in a camera before the first use. What cards you would recommended in 8Gb size? Camera is K20D...

06-10-2008, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

How old they are? Flash cards do have a lifespan of like 100K read/write cycles. Doubt you could actually reach it before card's capacity no longer suffice your needs. Though I have seen cards going simply bad. But two?

The only problem I had was that the case of my 1GB A-Data card just fell apart. First the lock button went missing then the whole case just split open. I still have the card's insides. Anybody knows a good hack on how could I use it?
06-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

format on the computer correctly, and then reformat in your camera. should increase storage compatibility
06-10-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've had some no-name 64MB SD card go bad, but I bought that one in 2003!
Another one was a Fujifilm 128 MB MMC card.

So far, my 1GB, 2GB and 8GB cards have been holding out very well.

06-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by myllis Quote
I have now used two diffrent manufacturer cards Transcend and Kingston SDHC cards. Size is both 8Gb. Usually as a new cards takes about 330 pictures in DNG format, pictures size is then little over 23Mb. Problem is that both cards are now somehow failed and Transcend eq. stops after 200 pictures...
Are todays cards disposable? Both has been format in a camera before the first use. What cards you would recommended in 8Gb size? Camera is K20D...
Both of those makes are pretty good names. Im also pretty sure they both have lifetime warranties. Reformat as suggested, and then call them if it doesnt work. I'm sure you'll have a new card in no time.
06-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #6

I have always used sandisk cards (slow blue ones, Ultra II's and now Extreme III's).. I have never had any issues with any of them. I have heard of people getting scammed by the knock-offs that are not original, but if you buy from a reputable retailer you won't have any issue.
06-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Truax_photo Quote
I have always used sandisk cards (slow blue ones, Ultra II's and now Extreme III's).. I have never had any issues with any of them. I have heard of people getting scammed by the knock-offs that are not original, but if you buy from a reputable retailer you won't have any issue.

Both cards has been bought through official dealers, so no problem. I call them today and both will change the card for the new one. That formatting helps Transcend but not Kingston. Anyway thanks for help!