Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rick Quote
Hey, thanks Brendan... not sure why I didn't go looking for what Slik had these days right off the bat, seeing as I've been so pleased with my current one. There's several there that look like they might fit the bill.

One thing I am curious about is how easy you find that miniscule ball head is to use? I see that the Sprint Pro 3-Way is a little under 2.5 lbs, about the same other specs, but seems to have some lever controls for controlling the head. I don't think the ball head I'm seeing on the Pro would be much of an issue when composing a photo, but I'm not so sure how suitable they'd be for hours on your belly behind a spotting scope, combing over a mountain.

These do look like a bit of an improvement over the Manfrotto for my purposes. And it looks like there's some other candidates in the queue as well.

Thanks again!
well its a great tripod and has adjustable angled legs, the head is fine for the photo-taker but dont leave the camera on it and kike with it like that.
I ahve added a bogen QR adapter to it on occasion and that works great 323 Bogen - Manfrotto RC2 Compact Rapid Connect Adapter w/3157N Plate (#3299)
I am not sure about the 3-way head, the ball head is fine for the short amount of time your often using it. You can replace it with any head that fits on a 1/4-s0 thread, but remember the heavyer the head, the less the camera can weigh.
For using w/ a spotting scope you do want a pan-tilt head at least a ball head is not best for scanning with IMO.

I have had to get it fixed once after I fell with it and bent up a leg section, other than that its served me well, just keep it in the car often for that quick photo opp that I need a tripod for.
I too looked all around and wanted something to compare with my old manfroto 3221 full-size tripod, this was the closest and best priced.
Since than I like one of the small Gitzo CF models but its really small (like 3.5ft tall max) and is like $200

06-11-2008, 12:34 PM   #17

I have use RRS and BH-40 and it's excellent. For higher look Berlebach tripods. I have used my own Berlebach since 1994.....
06-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #18

Original Poster
Stuff like you mention is not an issue to me - tripods are generally found stuffed somewhere in my pack or amongst the other hardware, while my camera generally rides in a case on my webbing somewhere within quick reach. So quick release fittings and similar stuff are just more weight that I don't want.

You are right that for spotting scope use a three way mechanism is about the only way to fly - anything else will drive you nuts after about the first hour or so. That Slik Pro 3-Way is one of the top contenders right now.
06-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #19
Not Registered

If money is not a problem the lighter ball head for (relatively) heavy equipment is the Markins Q3. I have the Markins M-10 and I cant describe how much I like it.

06-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I also recently read this thread :

Re: Need a Little Tripod...: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
06-11-2008, 06:47 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you also need to consider the back pack for the tripod.

Most packs have tripod straps on the front. this puts the weight a long way off the body.

Look for one that takes the tripod through the center, flush wity your back, or on the side
06-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
you also need to consider the back pack for the tripod.

Most packs have tripod straps on the front. this puts the weight a long way off the body.

Look for one that takes the tripod through the center, flush wity your back, or on the side
I expect that's pretty good advice for camera specific packs. When you're backpacking or something similar, however, you fit the tripod to whatever pack you've chosen to use, not the backpack to the tripod. If you think photographers are fussy over camera bags, you haven't seen a serious back country type trying to pick out a pack to suit their style and needs.

I have an old internal frame custom backpack that I had made by Schonhofen in the early 70's. There are lighter and more waterproof backpacks out there now, but after laying it out to my specs, having it fitted to my body, customized here and there with pockets, dividers, etc put exactly where I wanted them... I've never had anything remotely as good. It's about worn out now and I would love to be able to get the same thing with the new modern fabrics and waterproof zippers.

My Slik usually rides vertically on one side of the other of my internal frame pack. I imagine its replacement will do the same. When I'm humping gear on the external frame, it gets secured under the bottom platform. And when I'm humping the survey tripods, it goes in their bag with them - lots of leftover room. Some of my buddies put their tripods in with their sleeping bag, but then you have to deal with the tripod every night and when you want to use it you have to unpack your sleeping bag.

I have seen some trekking/avalanche poles that kind of, sorta, convert into a camera support of sorts. I've always thought that the only person that would be happy with those setups would be somebody that was happy with a monopod, because they really aren't any better.

06-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I know, but not by much for me. I don't have a grip. Using the weights Pentax provides, the K10d with 55-300 attached would weigh in at 40 oz - 2.5 lbs.

My guess is the tripod could deal with the extra .3 lbs, especially when I suspect the engineers would build in a tiny bit of a fudge factor.
It is not only the bare weight, that is important. If you use the lens anywhere near the 300 mm end, you have to consider an increase in torque and also in vibration sensibility. So, the question ist not, wheter a tripod is "just" overloaded, but how much extra stability it can offer.

Ben
06-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have searched for an adequte backpacking tripod myself. Requiremenets from my side are: holding a K10/K20+grip+70-200/2.8 or even a 300 mm lens or a 4x5 field camera with a lens of up to 250 mm.

After a long search I bought the Velbon Sherpa Pro 540. It weights 1360 gramms. I added the most lightweight ballhead I could find, which has a carrying capacity en par with the Sherpa Pro, the Novoflex Ball 30 (255 gramms). So I have a tripod which weights in at around 1600 gramms and can carry the above mentioned kit easily. In fact I can use it with my 400/5.6 as well, if I don't fully extend the legs. Due to its 4-section construction, it is quite short, when collapsed and can easily be carries on a bag or backpack.

The Sherpa Pro is well built and I expect it to last. The Novoflex Ball 30 is very sturdy and easy to use, but (that's due to the weight compromise) doesn't offer any conveniences: no panorama movement, no tension adjustment.

Anyway, the Sherpa has been my regular companion on several travels now and proven, that it is up to the intended tasks.

Ben
06-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Gitzo CF Traveler is the one to go for ultimate portability, weight saving and strength. I find it interesting that many are prepared to spend so much on bodies and lenses but unwilling to invest in a dependable and proven tripod. My experience with Gitzo is it is demonstrably superior to all other brands.
06-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Gitzo CF Traveler is the one to go for ultimate portability, weight saving and strength.
Yes... if you'd rather spend that kind of money on a tripod that doesn't get used much rather than a new lens. My new Pentax 55-300 arrived just a few minutes ago, and it cost less than those tripods.

QuoteQuote:
I find it interesting that many are prepared to spend so much on bodies and lenses but unwilling to invest in a dependable and proven tripod.
Living in Singapore, how often have you experienced a horse rolling on your gear? How about packed in a rucksack with all sorts of hardware that then hits the ground at 24 ft/sec?

I do have a nice, super stable, somewhat expensive tripod that doesn't go in the field with me. But I'm not going to subject a $600 dollar piece of kit to the kind of use ancillary stuff gets exposed to in my work and my travels. Particularly carbon fiber, which my experience from using in archery, ski poles, and flyrods shows to shatter rather quickly once it gets a nick in it. My old Slik looks like it was gnawed on by porcupines (actually, it was once) and is still going strong; the only thing wrong with it is it is just plain worn out. I don't believe for one minute a carbon fiber tripod would take that kind of abuse and still survive.
06-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #27
Inactive Account

the way the traveller folds up is neat

shame gitzo don't do a cheaper aluminium version.

I have a big gitzo I got very cheap as "ugly" grade from KEH. It is quite literally solid as a rock (but certainly not backpackable!).

Incidentally, my tripod is a bit stiff and seems like it needs some oiling. What do people use as lubricant-I was thinking about using WD40; is this a bad idea?

Sorry I can't help on the backpackable tripod answer though; I'd be interested to see what your solution is, although I think even a small tripod would be too much for me to take hiking; sometimes the SLR is even too much!

I managed to break the head on a slik though...
06-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxkat Quote
Incidentally, my tripod is a bit stiff and seems like it needs some oiling. What do people use as lubricant-I was thinking about using WD40; is this a bad idea?
To my mind, yes. WD40 is in large part kerosene, and I certainly wouldn't use it as a lubricant no matter what anyone else might say.

The first thing I would determine is whether it needs cleaning or oiling or both. If you think it needs cleaning, then I would first consider electrical parts cleaner. For the lubricant, I would use something called STOS, which is a kind of clear silicon synthetic grease for handguns - won't melt and run in the heat and won't dissolve or attack anything that I'm aware of. As you probably can't find that, I would try and find some similar light grease. And apply it sparingly, little pinhead size dabs using a toothpick; better too little than too much.

Of course, before doing any of the above, you might contact the manufacturer first and see what cleaners/lubricants they specify...
06-13-2008, 04:02 AM   #29
Veteran Member

How about packed in a rucksack with all sorts of hardware that then hits the ground at 24 ft/sec?
I'm enjoying this thread, as I'm looking for a sturdy tripod that will survive harsh conditions, being flogged through bush and subject to rather hot dirty conditions. I'm tending towards the diabolical Benbo Trekker Compact.

I'll draw the line at having a tripod survive hitting the ground at 7.3 m/s, here in Australia we have quaint habits of leaving aircraft AFTER they have landed, and thus we tend to buy slightly lighter tripods...
06-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm another Slik Sprint Pro user, and think it is a good portable pod. Of course there are limitations to such a light weight thing, one needs to take that into account.

The most annoying thing I find is the ball head - I'm not annoyed enough to get a new head, though that may eventually happen. Something a bit more sturdy and with a quick release. It is a pain to screw in a camera and then unscrew it... And the compromise in the design definitely favors weight savings over sturdiness and convenience. However, with moderately heavy and decently balanced equipment the pod is sufficient. (It works great with my TLRs for example)

For the heavy duty stuff I have a heavy duty SLIK. A lot less portable and cumbersome, but far more stable and with a better, quick release head.