Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been considering my options as well. I looked at those hard case custom foam options, but the price was painful. Then I thought reliable dry bag and soft towel would do the same thing. I just need a method of securing it to whatever canoe, kayak, paddleboat that I'm in so if I do tip, it won't be a sinker.

I'm looking forward to loon shooting!

06-05-2015, 10:25 PM   #17

For kayaking I use an Overboard SLR holster style dry bag. It's a roll down top load style bag that includes an adjustable shoulder strap. I added an old narrow nylon camera strap with spring loaded D-rings to use as a quick tether to the rigging on the kayak. It's not a perfect solution, but does work pretty well. I keep the bag closed for initial launch and docking. Open it when I anticipate that I'd like to take pictures for a while. Like others have already stated, I like to improvise some padding sometime for the dry bag.

I entertained the idea of a Pelican like case for quicker access and equipment padding, but didn't find a foot print that worked with the cockpit of a sit-in kayak.

I also use the DA 18-135mm as my kayaking lens and find it a decent all-rounder. I'd love to have a WR wild life lens, but that will have to wait for a couple more years.

When I have the camera out for shooting I just throw the K-5 strap over my neck or let the camera rest on my lap. I just try to keep the front lens element clean and don't worry too much about a little splashing onto the other surfaces. I'm hadn't been too opposed to exposure to salt water spray either.

Naturally, there is always a risk of rolling and dunking the camera equipment sometime when it is out of the dry bag.

For paddle board purposes I might be a little more tempted to consider a shallow immersion bag style housing such as Dry Pak.

According to the manufacturer the Overboard SLR style bag top need to be rolled 4 times to ensure water tightness.
The 7 liter size bag accommodates a K-5 with the DA* 50-135mm lens, however with less than 4 rolls of the bag top if the Pentax lens shade is attached. Therefore, in a situation like that I would recommend to use a rubber collapsible lens shade instead.
Overboard also offer a 15 liter size SLR bag with backpack style straps for longer lenses.

Kids please don't do this at home - but I'll admit that for cleaning I gently rinse my K-5 and WR lens under tap water using light water flow and dish washing soap to clean the sunscreen prints off of the rear screen.
06-06-2015, 07:46 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought a Feel Free Lure 11.5 fishing kayak that you can stand on recently. I use it for fishing and and it's also a great photography platform. An SUP would work for photography too although it's not an option I went for. Just use care to protect the camera and invest in some dry bags. I have been shooting out of an Old Town sit in kayak for years.