Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2015, 06:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paddleboarding with Pentax

Curious if anyone has gone SUPing with their Pentax DSLR?

I'm thinking about heading out this weekend with my K-30 and 18-135mm WR to test it out.
I'd be paddling tidal bays and canals; K-30 and 18-135 are indeed WR, however I doubt they like salt water...

Obviously, the first answer to this question is how experienced are you on the SUP without any gear?
I wouldn't suggest heading out on your first paddle with hundreds of $ worth of Pentax equipment, WR or not.

But aside from that. I imagine once you're comfortable controlling the board and confident in your balance, taking out a 10lb dumbell would help simulate lugging the gear around. Pretend there are photo opportunities and pick up the dumbell, aim it into the sky as if following a BIF. I'll probably look really goofy swinging around a 10lb weight into the sky as if I'm summoning the bird gods or something...
But people do Yoga on these things so maybe I'll fit right in lol.

My big thing is accessibility to great shooting locations.
If I had access to the open water, I can't imagine what kind of shots I could get!

My second option would be to invest in some sort of water-proof compartment I could strap to my board. This way I don't need to worry about gear getting wet (bigma), and I can paddle to where I need to go and setup and shoot. But I wouldn't have the quick access to a shot mid paddle...

Has anyone has experience with this?
I figure someone has to have taken their gear out in a Kayak. Can't be much different.
I mainly worry about the salt water being an issue if an accident were to occur.

Cheers everyone!

06-05-2015, 07:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This sounds very interesting. I would love to see the images you get from this if you do it!
06-05-2015, 07:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Salt water destroys gear

I do a lot of photography via and from kayaks, see here: www.kayakfari.com.
SUP boards are a little different in that you don't have any storage compartments or any shielding from salt water.
If you have a waterproof cam, use it for most of your shots. If you want telephoto reach, you should consider some quality dry bags so you can keep your keep your gear dry.
I would actually double bag the most expensive stuff. Everything on top of that board will get wet and soaked!
You might also try attaching cam to your chest, so it's up high, but you need to be sure of your board's stability.
Another way to go is with a "plus size" sit on top kayak like "Rosie" pictured below (Whole lotta Rosie!)

https://kayakfari.wordpress.com/2015/06/01/shes-a-whole-lotta-kayak-a-tribut...aks-out-there/

Stay dry!
06-05-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
I do a lot of photography via and from kayaks, see here: www.kayakfari.com.
SUP boards are a little different in that you don't have any storage compartments or any shielding from salt water.
If you have a waterproof cam, use it for most of your shots. If you want telephoto reach, you should consider some quality dry bags so you can keep your keep your gear dry.
I would actually double bag the most expensive stuff. Everything on top of that board will get wet and soaked!
You might also try attaching cam to your chest, so it's up high, but you need to be sure of your board's stability.
Another way to go is with a "plus size" sit on top kayak like "Rosie" pictured below (Whole lotta Rosie!)

https://kayakfari.wordpress.com/2015/06/01/shes-a-whole-lotta-kayak-a-tribut...aks-out-there/

Stay dry!
Very nice!
I actually thought about double dry bagging the Bigma and only setting it up once I'm on dry land.
So dry bag in a 15L, then flip upside-down into a 20L bag. It seems excessive, but no one wants $1500 lenses ruined by salt water!!

I'll have the gopro fixed to the paddle, but for those telephoto shots I need the Pentax setup.

Anyways, I've got some planning to do. And purchases to make it seems...

06-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i whitewater kayak as well as occasional flatwater...i had previously used a dry bag but never felt comfortable with the lack of padding...a friend had one if these and i have recently purchased it as well as the padded liner and think it's amazing...you can clip it on your boat with a carabiner and have no worries about it getting banged up or wet...they have different sizes and will have one that fits the bigma and camera...i don't think you can expect to be able to access something quickly in a dry bag or this bag but you can get into places that you normally wouldn't and then you can get yourself stabilized and ready for any action

WATERSHED Chattooga Duffel Bag (Orange) WS-FGW-CHAT-ORG B&H
06-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

This sounds like a job for the Q. It doesn't weigh much so it won't throw your balance off, and if you throw the adapter on, your 18-135 becomes something like a 100-750 or 85-650 equivalent (depending on which Q model you use), or you could use a cheaper manual zoom or normal prime lens for telephoto. Or you could get the tiny but potent Q 06 lens, which is about 70-200/80-250 equivalent and will autofocus. (Might need a screen loupe though since its not the best screen in bright light. )

That way, if you do drop it, you're only out maybe $100 for a used Q body (and however much a 06 lens goes for if you're using that). If you can recover it, since an adapted lens wouldn't be using any electronics, it probably won't have damage from that if you clean and dry it out correctly.

I'm trying to decide if I want to risk taking my K5 on a canoe trip. I can see why (besides image quality) normhead is such a fan of the 18-135. Don't want to change lenses when they might be wet; the 16-50 isn't long enough, and the 50-135 isn't wide enough. I'll probably take the Q the first time and if it goes well, bring the K5 the next.
06-05-2015, 08:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Could always just get the Nikon AW-1.....

*hides from onslaught of rotten fruit*

06-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Could always just get the Nikon AW-1.....

*hides from onslaught of rotten fruit*
I missed that one. Probably actually worth getting if you dive/snorkel much. I use my GoPro for underwater stuff (mostly with a chest strap mount, which leaves tan lines that my wife finds hilarious). Only 2 underwater safe lenses, but the other ones still work when you're dry, and much like the Q you can adapt most anything to it.

Too bad Pentax doesn't have a waterproof Q model.
06-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've done some but on calm mountain lakes. I've also gotten a little salt water on my K-3 & DA* 16-50 and it seemed to be ok. Just don't fall in!
06-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I cannot keep standing on a paddleboard (balance sux...), but I have taken my K-30/18-135 out a bunch of times in my sit-on-top kayak here in Puget Sound. My method is to secure the camera in a 10L drybag when not in use. Yes, I do have to be careful about moving it around due to lack of padding, but you could always put something in there yourself for cushioning it. Never had any problems with the occasional saltwater splash, just wipe 'em off. If I'm just after snapshots I take along my WG-10 instead, or my little Oly XZ-1 that fits into a small pouch I can wear around my neck. Not the same IQ of course, but much more convenient when I am just out for a paddle... If I am out after mainly pics, I'd tend to be in sheltered environments where I can be careful, and get things like the eagle below.

Jim

Bald eagle from kayak, K-30/18-135WR
06-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Very nice!
I actually thought about double dry bagging the Bigma and only setting it up once I'm on dry land.
So dry bag in a 15L, then flip upside-down into a 20L bag. It seems excessive, but no one wants $1500 lenses ruined by salt water!!

I'll have the gopro fixed to the paddle, but for those telephoto shots I need the Pentax setup.

Anyways, I've got some planning to do. And purchases to make it seems...

You can bring anything to remote locations if you have a place to stow it, that's the other main reason to go with a sea kayak - it has dry storage hatches front & rear (but you still put everything in dry bags!). The real main reason for a sea kayak is so you can go the distance (miles and miles), whereas SUP boards generally aren't as well suited for this.
As far as padding inside the dry bags, the solution is as simple as your photo bag or backpack. You just stuff the whole thing inside the dry bag. I like the Sea to Summit Big River (heavier duty) in 20L size for a single DSLR with lens or a 65L size for the entire backpack! I only double bag if it's gonna actually get exposed to water.
06-05-2015, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digital029art Quote
You can bring anything to remote locations if you have a place to stow it, that's the other main reason to go with a sea kayak - it has dry storage hatches front & rear (but you still put everything in dry bags!). The real main reason for a sea kayak is so you can go the distance (miles and miles), whereas SUP boards generally aren't as well suited for this.
As far as padding inside the dry bags, the solution is as simple as your photo bag or backpack. You just stuff the whole thing inside the dry bag. I like the Sea to Summit Big River (heavier duty) in 20L size for a single DSLR with lens or a 65L size for the entire backpack! I only double bag if it's gonna actually get exposed to water.
Yeah I know a kayak is preferred, but I just bought a Red Paddle Co inflatable SUP for my fiancee and tend to take it out a good bit.
It allows me to reach some spots that are literally inaccessible without a kayak or SUP.
We also live in a tiny littler apartment so kayak is a nogo for right now. Perhaps when we upgrade our living situation I will look into buying one.

I think I will try the large dry bag approach for now, seen some really nice ones for fairly low prices.
This way I can pack up all my gear wrapped in a towel and paddle out through to some of these pop-up islands.
06-05-2015, 01:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You need a dinghy for your SUP so your gear has something to ride in.
06-05-2015, 01:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I need to travel light and have another pack I'm bringing or limited room (whitewater kayaking, backpacking, or backcountry skiing, for example) I put some of the padded dividers from a camera bag in a small dry bag and keep the gear in that.
When I SUP'd with my camera I just wore it on my Black Rapid strap but like I said it was calm. I also have good balance so I was pretty confident I wouldn't fall in.
06-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm sure it doesn't end well for cameras.