Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-16-2015, 10:05 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
First one I found was this. Does anyone have any experience with this seller, good or bad?
Ok, I finally have an answer for you. I ordered it and payed through paypal on E-bay. Payed 22.99 for it (I payed 2 $ extra for safer shipping, my choice). Arrived after 17 days to the postal office in my city. What I can tell is that it fits my K-5 and I din't have to remove the existing copper shim, just took the old one out and replaced it with this according to the online instructions. I made sure to use my sensor cleaning kit's air pump to clean both the K-5 internally and the new focusing screen before insertion. The focusing screen is 98% clean, certainly cleaner then my old one. Its also not darker then the original screen...which imo is odd, but a huge plus as it makes focusing in low light very easy. I was expecting it to be darker tbh...odd that its not. When looking through the viewfinder it looks just like in the pictures on E-bay. I found it to be very useful and it doesn't seem to mess with metering at all, I can focus very accurately with it. All in all I love this little Chinese screen and now that its inserted I don't think I'll remove it.

Oddly I found that if a quick shift lens is slightly off focus I notice it now :/ and can manually august focus to be tack sharp. This works really well if one is used to auto focusing with the AF button on the camera's back instead of the shutter release half press. There is something wrong with one of my kit lenses...it doesn't focus right and this forum has a cussing filter it seems XD

The kit looks like this:

Last edited by Domokos_A; 07-16-2015 at 10:26 AM.
07-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice. When I did my K10 it was pretty easy and required no adjustment either.
07-16-2015, 02:30 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Excellent. I am most grateful. Thank you.
07-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #19
Veteran Member

The only ones that will be darker are the nice matte screens intended for fast lenses. I'd expect that one won't show any difference in DOF preview between f/1.2(1.4/1.8/2.0) and f/2.8.
That or you're using it with a fast enough lens that it's not darker.

Manually focusing with a f/8 minimum lens is a noticeable difference between my body with the stock screen and the focusingscreen.com one.

07-21-2015, 04:03 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
The only ones that will be darker are the nice matte screens intended for fast lenses. I'd expect that one won't show any difference in DOF preview between f/1.2(1.4/1.8/2.0) and f/2.8.
That or you're using it with a fast enough lens that it's not darker.

Manually focusing with a f/8 minimum lens is a noticeable difference between my body with the stock screen and the focusingscreen.com one.
Focusingscreen.com screens are rather expensive and then there is the transport cost plus import taxes again. I can at least focus with the 45 degrees tilt split screen I bought. Should be fine, all my lenses are rather fast from 1.4 to 2.8 max minus the M 100 mm F4 macro I use with extension tubes (now that is kinda dark). At the very least I'm no longer stumbling blind when I have to quickly focus.

I use the kit DA 18-55 WR and the 55-300 DA lenses only with the K10D for walk around training & fun.

Mental mote: clean the K10D.

plus I'm kinda reluctant to acquire more crop lenses then those 2 because the full frame is coming (HOPEFULLY) and I'd like to keep my gear top quality only & full frame compatible. Tho that DA 35 mm limited macro sure looks nice :/ for general shooting... and all those limiteds which have been put onto the market recently.

I swear everyone is selling their crop pentax gear lately, tho I haven't seen any good FA or F or K , M or A lenses.

Last edited by Domokos_A; 07-21-2015 at 04:45 AM.
08-07-2015, 11:29 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
First one I found was this. Does anyone have any experience with this seller, good or bad?
Bought one for my K-3. Works really well. AF, viewfinder, live view and resulted image have same opinnion of right focusing distance. At least on 18-135 kit lens. Screen is darker than original but I like it. Changing was easy. *SPROING* with plastic cake tester to release screen frame, take the plastic holder 1), change screen and push the frame back with the holder.

Only thing I hate is sloppy quality. Circle around micro prism has way too many corners to be circle and there is always one of three splits as black. For reference I can black out one of two splits from ME if I really try.

And the metal tweezers(or whatever) are totally useless. Maybe those are good for inflicting pain to oneself. Tips have about 3mm misalignment

1) I'm not good with English tool names, but I know it isn't hammer, so I call those focus screen holding tool holder. Seen on the cloth in some posts back.