Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anti-Moire lens filter

I use a K-5iis, and although I don't usually shoot anything that might cause a problem, will this Anti-Moire and anti-aliasing filters for digital cameras help if I decide to do some event that might have a higher risk of producing moire in images? Have any of you used filters like these, and is it worth a look?

06-10-2015, 07:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not just enable the AA filter in your K-5 IIS?
06-10-2015, 07:40 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Why not just enable the AA filter in your K-5 IIS?
Because there isn't one The AA filter simulation feature was introduced with the K-3.
06-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Daertu Quote
Because there isn't one The AA filter simulation feature was introduced with the K-3.
Oops. Bummer.

06-10-2015, 08:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Lightroom has moire reduction in the adjustment brush. I used it once whith my K-30 and it worked very well. I wouldn't attach any filter for this because it degradates the whole image. (And reduces the incoming light...)
06-10-2015, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

If you use the 18-50 kit lens, you don't need an anti-moire filter, this lens already has a built in anti-moire filter :-)
Or you can close the aperture to f16 or f22, there will not be any moire.
06-10-2015, 08:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
If you use the 18-50 kit lens, you don't need an anti-moire filter, this lens already has a built in anti-moire filter :-)
Or you can close the aperture to f16 or f22, there will not be any moire.
I actually need something for all my 49mm primes, DA 40 DA 70, M50/1.4+1.7 etc

06-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
Lightroom has moire reduction in the adjustment brush. I used it once whith my K-30 and it worked very well. I wouldn't attach any filter for this because it degradates the whole image. (And reduces the incoming light...)
Sorry, I don't do enough OOC editing to warrant the expense of buying Lightroom. I'm talking of this light weight carry around filter, for the odd use now and then, the little bit of degrading of the images by the filter in such circumstances should not be that much, taking into account the brilliant pics the K-5iis AA-less sensor produces...
06-10-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have never find a need to worry about moire at all. I have both k-5Iis and k-3 (I never turn on AA filter at all). The odd times (may be a few pictures) I need to de-moire, it can be handled in post processing; I need that anyway since I shoot only RAW.
06-10-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A sh***y no-brand UV filter will do almost the same thing for 1/10th the bucks... :-P
06-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
For me, it has generally not done anything at all. I got it to remove moire once, but that moire was mild. If it's intense, it doesn't even scratch it.
06-11-2015, 05:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
A sh***y no-brand UV filter will do almost the same thing for 1/10th the bucks... :-P
Can you guarantee that?
06-11-2015, 06:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Can you guarantee that?

Of course not, it depends on the shittyness grade of the filter... :-D

Tongue-in-cheek-ness aside, what you need is to degrade the optical quality of the camera-lens system just enough in order to avoid false resolution phenomena.
I've never tried an UV myself because I correct it in post (K-01 actually has an AA/OLPF, albeit a light one), however the UV filter is "beneficial" with purple fringing.
I'm using inverted commas because the "benefit" is an overall reduction of IQ, and I bet the expensive filter you linked entails some sort of trade-off of the same kind as well.

I believe software reduction is the way to go here, as others have said, maybe you can look for some free options (can't do that myself right now, maybe tomorrow).
As a second-best, there's the artificial reduction in resolving power, be it shooting wide open (softness), stopped down (diffraction), or using a filter which degrades IQ one way or another.
Sometimes you do the first two for artistic purposes (DoF, shallow or deep, for instance), the third is a special case...
06-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Of course not, it depends on the shittyness grade of the filter... :-D

Tongue-in-cheek-ness aside, what you need is to degrade the optical quality of the camera-lens system just enough in order to avoid false resolution phenomena.
I've never tried an UV myself because I correct it in post (K-01 actually has an AA/OLPF, albeit a light one), however the UV filter is "beneficial" with purple fringing.
I'm using inverted commas because the "benefit" is an overall reduction of IQ, and I bet the expensive filter you linked entails some sort of trade-off of the same kind as well.

I believe software reduction is the way to go here, as others have said, maybe you can look for some free options (can't do that myself right now, maybe tomorrow).
As a second-best, there's the artificial reduction in resolving power, be it shooting wide open (softness), stopped down (diffraction), or using a filter which degrades IQ one way or another.
Sometimes you do the first two for artistic purposes (DoF, shallow or deep, for instance), the third is a special case...
I've got a few UV filters that I haven't been using for a long time, might try them and do a few tests....