Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2015, 04:53 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Medium Format Bag

Hello All,

I've recently started branching out into medium format photography and have got myself a Bronica GS-1 (no messing around, I got a 120 camera which would give me as big a negative as possible). My issue now is that I need to get a bag to carry it around in. Being an entirely digital/35mm guy up until now I'm rather clueless as to what would work; does anybody have any recommendations for a bag (not too expensive) that can store a Bronnie plus one or two lenses? failing that any companies who I can look at who might make one?

So far I've only got the kit 100mm lens, but I'd like to add a wide-angle at some point. Shoulder bags are best for me, but I'm willing to consider other things as well.

Thanks, Unsane

P.S. I've had a browse through the Lowe-Pro site as they're the guys who I use for all my 35mm bags, but I couldn't seem to find anything that would take medium format camera.
P.P.S. Apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I thought I'd stick it in here as there's most likely to be 120 shooters hanging around here.

06-12-2015, 05:49 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To keep in Pentax theme, I've run into exactly the same problem after acquiring Pentax 67. Needing space for the body, 1 lens and Pentax V spotmeter.
06-12-2015, 06:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This'll do it! http://www.amazon.com/Black-Jumbo-Load-Canvas-Duffle/dp/B002TO5AMS
(and also your lighting gear, and maybe your subject, too, if you're not shooting landscapes)

Joking aside, a little googling brought me to this:
Tilopa BC - Product + Large Pro ICU - ICU - Product

One of the sources:
The GetDPI Photography Forums - View Single Post - Best camera bag for medim format cameras

With the photo showing the bag packed from that link attached, in case you don't want to click
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III  Photo 
06-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #4
Forum Member

Go with a back pack style bag. I've got a Bronica SQ-Ai, with prism finder, a 40mm, a 50mm, an 80mm and the 150. By the time you add an extra film back, and a light meter you have a lot of weight, and need a lot of room. Don't skimp, and make sure that it's a proper back pack that carries cameras, as opposed to a camera bag with a couple of shoulder straps - yes, there is a difference.

06-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been thinking about getting a backpack for a while, the only thing that put me off was price. I'll definitely look into it though. I've gone with Lowe-Pro up until now (with the exception of one Tamrac bag that I didn't get on with) are there backpacks any good?

ppohja: How's the 67 to use?
I was looking into getting one when I bought the Bronnie, but over here they're about the same price as the GS-1, just minus the lens.
06-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The SpaceWagon is a civilized way to cart the old geezer cameras,
all racked out and ready to grab.
It has been to the Henry Ford Motor Muster quite a few times and still goes even though the kids have grown out of it

In it is a 1956 4x5 Speed with 6x9 back and a Takumar 6x7 55mm wide angle,
A 1953 2x3 Century with an RH10 back and its Kalart rangefinder set for the 103mm Gaftar, the 1978? Pentax MX with the -M 1:2.8 40~80mm zoom.
And a 1963 Honeywell Pentax 3/21 meter.

Oh, and some lunch in the back because the restaurants get overloaded even though the Village doesn't seem crowded.

If walking around with just one MF camera I use that old gray video camera bag.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
06-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian

it depends also on your budget. But F-stop gear has good backpacks that will hold a good sized MF gear. But also Clik Elite has some good Backpacks that will hold good sized MF kits

Pro Elite | Backpacks | Clik Elite
Volt | | Clik Elite
Contrejour 40 | Backpacks | Clik Elite

06-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #8

Hey guys, all wrong!

Both OP and me wanted to just to get the camera and the lens on the go - not the whole cabinet!

So far I've been using something from Navyboot.. maybe its closes contemporary relative would be the Navyboot Reporter bag. Don't like messengers because they're too big. I can fit the camera+lens on the bag and place the light meter on beside the lens. Width and height on this one are OK, but the problem is that this bag is too thin - can't fit the wallet/phone/keys in the bag, as the camera stretches the bag up to its limits.

@Unsane:
They said that the Pentax 67 is like an oversized spotmatic, and I want to believe. So far I've run through maybe 4 rolls of film and have digitised just one at a friend's place - so can't really say about if it really works for me. I don't have a medium format scanner, which will be a problem in the longer run.

I had previously used some 35mm cameras (LX and MV), but their minuscule film size didn't excite. The shutter sound in the LX is metallic and nasty when compared to the 67.

So far I haven't bothered with tripods or such. Trying whether it can be used handheld - maybe I'll do a tripod vs. handheld test at some point, but so far it's been fully handheld.

Something from the first roll (t-max 400):

(see the full size at http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/pohjalai/belle-epoque-2004.jpg).

Last edited by ppohja; 06-12-2015 at 12:17 PM.
06-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
That's looking pretty nice; the detail is a little ridiculous on 120. The bag you posted looks interesting, but is a little outside of my price range (I spent all my spare cash on the Bronnie itself!) If anybody does have any more suggestions for something a little more portable that would be appreciated.
06-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #10

No, don't go for the navyboot - not suitable for these camera sizes. But I like the concept -- while the camera is middle sized, why should the bag be huge?
06-12-2015, 02:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsane Quote
I spent all my spare cash on the Bronnie itself!
I am presently restoring an RB67 ProS so I just read a little about your Bronica GS-1

Looks like the GS-1 is high class and was designed with low weight in mind, as it weighs 1850 gram with 100mm lens and back on.
The RB67 on the other hand (!) weighs 2650 gram with the 127mm and back on.

The prism for the RB weighs 900 gram, so i won't be carrying that around too often.
I have been collecting a kit of RB67 over past year, I have the 150, 90,& 50mm lenses, plus the body and accessories for a relatively small outlay.
All is in good condition except I am doing new bellows and seals before I use it.

The type of bag does not matter really, as long as you can leave the camera set up in the bag.
I took my 23 Graflex ( at 1700 gram, lighter than the above studio cameras) on overseas trip last year and trudged around city streets etc with it over a weekend. I just used a simple surplus military canvas backpack. Some of those fancy hi tech backpacks are too heavy in themselves.

Happy GS-1'ing
06-13-2015, 01:34 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I am presently restoring an RB67 ProS so I just read a little about your Bronica GS-1

Looks like the GS-1 is high class and was designed with low weight in mind, as it weighs 1850 gram with 100mm lens and back on.
The RB67 on the other hand (!) weighs 2650 gram with the 127mm and back on.

The prism for the RB weighs 900 gram, so i won't be carrying that around too often.
I have been collecting a kit of RB67 over past year, I have the 150, 90,& 50mm lenses, plus the body and accessories for a relatively small outlay.
All is in good condition except I am doing new bellows and seals before I use it.

The type of bag does not matter really, as long as you can leave the camera set up in the bag.
I took my 23 Graflex ( at 1700 gram, lighter than the above studio cameras) on overseas trip last year and trudged around city streets etc with it over a weekend. I just used a simple surplus military canvas backpack. Some of those fancy hi tech backpacks are too heavy in themselves.

Happy GS-1'ing
That's a good tip, thanks. There's a few army surplus round here where I could pick something up cheap, add a little padding and it would work out nice. The weight of the GS-1 is also it's biggest enemy in my opinion. As while it is nice and light, it feels a little 'cheap' compared to some of the heavier cameras I'm used to using. Doubtless I'll change my mind when I start actually dragging it around to do Landscape photography though!
06-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't know how much of a hurry you're in, but if you keep stalking Ebay, I think you'll be able to find a great medium format bag at a bargain price. All of the "big" stuff is going for very cheap these days....big bags, big tripods, etc... You've said you're a Lowe person. My main bag is a LowePro Magnum that was designed for medium format (although that's not how I use it.) I think I paid $27 and I was one of 2 or 3 bidders.
06-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

FWIW I have a big backpack bag that you're more than welcome to. I think it would be perfect for medium format. It's way too big for a K3 or anything of that type.
06-16-2015, 10:55 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The Domke F2 bag would be great. For myself I found a hardly used Lowe Pro bag at a thrift shop for 3 bucks for my Hasselblad.

The larger the bag you buy the more gear you will get and the heavier the bag becomes.😯