Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first monopod

I'm a heavy tripod user being that I have a hard time hand holding anything anymore due to having RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis). And most of the lenses I use are heavy being the DA* flavors.

This spring I have finally been able to get back to taking a daily walk the woods around my property but always need a walking stick to help. I also bring along my camera hung from a shoulder strap. I came across a good old monopod that doubles as a walking stick of sorts that I am very happy with.

I am set up with Arca-Swiss mounts on my camera and long lenses (usually have the DA* 60-250 on my walks). What I want to do is attach an Arca-Swiss clamp to the monopod so I can quickly attach my camera - I just don't really see a need for a ball head on a monopod.

So my question at last - is there anything wrong with getting a cheap Arca-Swiss clamp and just screw it on to the monopod?

Andoer Screw Knob Quick Release Clamp Compatible with Arca Swiss for QR Plat AF | eBay

I would normally just get a Hejnar Photo clamp but just don't have the $50 for it right now.....

06-17-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The primary advantage to using a ball head is when you want to take a picture in portrait orientation (for lenses that don't have collars).

Tim
06-17-2015, 08:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like the one i bought with the brand MENGS on it i have two of them and I'm happy with them. the one you have linked seems to be exactly the same!
http://www.amazon.de/MENGS%C2%AE-DC-38Q-Kameraschraube-Bandschnallen-Alumini...ds=MENGS%C2%AE
06-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Look at the Manfrotto 'joystick' style heads. They work well with monopods.

06-17-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
I use something like this...

Amazon.com : V-Yoke Attachment with Camera thread for Monopod shooting stick : Gun Monopods Bipods And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

... to convert my mono-pod into a versatile walking/shooting stick for use with my K-3/DA*300/4 field kit. Works great for AF lenses !

Cheers... M
Now that looks like just the ticket! I don't need a positive connection when using the monopod just a temporary support. And I have been known to have my .22 rifle with me on my walks.........

Thanks!
06-17-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I use something like this...
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
And I have been known to have my .22 rifle with me on my walks.........
I don't get it - isn't that tool specifically for rifles? How can that help with a camera? Do you just rest it on there? Pentax lenses are quite compact, and most of them turn the focus ring during AF, so I don't see that as a good option.

I am interested because I have a monopod, but I just screw the camera directly to it. The main problem with that, as I have found, is tilting or rotating the camera into portrait orientation.
06-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My solution is a tilt head (Manfrotto 234) on the monopod and a cheap ebay clamp bolted to the tilt head.
The tilt head is the screw type not the RC version.
Since I use this setup with telephotos that have rotating collars I am covered for portrait.
This works for me as I carry the lens+camera by the collapsed pod, but for someone that needs the monopod as a walking stick it may not be the best solution.

06-17-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO the Manfrotto tilt head with QR is the only way to go.

Chris

06-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
My solution is a tilt head (Manfrotto 234) on the monopod and a cheap ebay clamp bolted to the tilt head.
Thanks for the suggesting and pics Larry!

I know I am new to using a monopod but I just don't see the need for a tilting head when you can just tilt the monopod - I'm sure I am missing something in the concept since I've never used one.

Also trying to keep the monopod as light and simple as possible being it's primary use is a walking stick.
06-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I know I am new to using a monopod but I just don't see the need for a tilting head when you can just tilt the monopod - I'm sure I am missing something in the concept since I've never used one.
If you tilt it too far it becomes unwieldy with a long/heavy lens on but I manage with a Sigma 150 500 without any problems.
06-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I don't get it - isn't that tool specifically for rifles? How can that help with a camera? Do you just rest it on there? Pentax lenses are quite compact, and most of them turn the focus ring during AF, so I don't see that as a good option.
I just double checked the 2 lenses I would be using with the monopod - DA* 60-250 and DA*300 - neither focus ring moves when the AF is working.

For me just resting the camera (actually the lens) in the "V" of that rifle support makes perfect sense to grab that quick shot while walking. It would go from walking stick to camera/lens support without any additional action or connection required.
06-18-2015, 05:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bingo ! You get the idea...

I like to travel light and all I need is something to steady the shot. The shooting "Y" offers great flexibility and does that job. Initially, I went with the attached monopod head and found it to be too heavy and my kit too clunky. So after my first outing, I dumped it in favor of a "Bog-Pod" similar to this...

Amazon.com : Bob Gear BOG-POD Monopod : Gun Monopods Bipods And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

BTW: It's designed to be used by not only riflemyn, but by still/video photographers, too.

As I said, works great for me (you, too... perhaps)

Cheers... M
I like that one. If I hadn't already bought the Bogen I probably would have just bought that Bog-Pod. But for now I am going to try the fitting we talked about above and see how it goes.

Thanks again!
06-18-2015, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for the suggesting and pics Larry!

Also trying to keep the monopod as light and simple as possible being it's primary use is a walking stick.
With the V rest you have decide to go with you should be fine.

But the reason I use a tilt head is that a lot of my targets are up in the trees.
Without a tilt head I would have to hand hold the setup with a huge stick coming off the bottom of the lens.
Or waste time unscrewing the monopod off the lens.
The tilt allows me to shoot at any angle and still have the stick pointing straight down on the ground to support the gear.
06-18-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With the V rest you have decide to go with you should be fine.

But the reason I use a tilt head is that a lot of my targets are up in the trees.
Without a tilt head I would have to hand hold the setup with a huge stick coming off the bottom of the lens.
Or waste time unscrewing the monopod off the lens.
The tilt allows me to shoot at any angle and still have the stick pointing straight down on the ground to support the gear.
OK - I see your point - thanks for explaining that to me.

If I am doing any serious shooting I am on my tripod with my butt in a chair - can't stand for more than a minute or two. If I do get a chance to grab a shot on my short walk I just want something quick and easy. When I am the woods here most of what I would be shooting would be close to a straight shot anyway - if any birds are higher up in the canopy I'll never see them anyway.

I'm learning a lot here - thanks all for your input!
06-18-2015, 02:37 PM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My solution is a tilt head (Manfrotto 234) on the monopod
+1, you beat me to it.