Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Rechargeable Batteries - Any Recommendations on a Charger?

Over time, I seem to have mixed up my newer and older rechargeable batteries. Some are at least a year older than the newer ones and I'm sure they don't hold the same charge. I was looking into getting a more advanced rechargeable battery charger than the standard eneloop chargers that came with the batteries, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I guess my main requirement on the new charger would be getting something that can test, and let me know about, the remaining capacity on the batteries so that I can group up like-capacity batteries.

These La Crosse chargers look pretty good, but they only charge four batteries at a time. I know there are some chargers that can charge more batteries at once, but I don't know if they can do what I need. Thanks!

06-21-2015, 09:34 PM   #2

One of the best if not the best -
MH-C9000 - Maha Energy

You can often restore cells back to a useable condition that will no longer hold a charge from "dumb" chargers.

They have an 8 cell smart chargers:
http://www.mahaenergy.com/8-cell-chargers/

Last edited by Not a Number; 06-21-2015 at 09:43 PM.
06-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #3

Yeah. The Maha Wizard (MH-C9000) is one of the best out there. It gives you information on the amount of charge so you can better match sets. It also has a discharge mode that measures their charged capacity. To "restore" cells, you can program in a series of charge/discharge cycles to try to regain capacity.

The other Maha chargers use a similar charging system but don't have the readouts or automation, so they aren't really designed for managing a battery collection.

Off topic, one of the things I like best about Pentax is their support of AA batteries in (many of) their bodies. I HATE getting a new device and then finding out that I have to make room for yet another dedicated charger. And Li-ion batteries (at least most common chemistries) don't last NEARLY as many cycles.
06-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've only used the MH-C9000 already mentioned, it's pretty great for both testing and refreshing older batteries. Reviews:

Powerex MAHA MH-C9000 Charger reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

06-25-2015, 05:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 for the Maha C9000 charger. I also have one. Make sure you discharge the battery at 0.2 x C where C = battery capacity before charging them at 0.5 x C. My Eneloop black is 2450mAH so I first discharge at 500mAH and then charge at 1300mAH. Something I learn from UnknownVT in this forum. STF and u will find some helpful info from him.