Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2015, 02:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

looking for a hiking bag

I need some specific advice on a camera bag for day hikes for like 2-5hrs (when travelling to Australia..)

At this moment, i think i will take:
k20d, no grip.. + DA15
K3, no grip.. + fa31
DA70
and I think i will want my 55-300 with me as well. Though i could just take the smaller m135 + extender as well.

+ travel tripod (either a 15 or a 12 inch model folded)
+ some spare batteries... and place for some cookies & water.

I like to walk around with a shoulderbag for quick accessability, but for 2-4hrs...
All ideas are welcome!

06-25-2015, 02:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you ever thought about a photographer vest?
For small loads the weight is well distributed. Everything is easily accessible. Additionally, clothing does not count as a carry-on for airlines, even if it is stuffed with loads of camera gear.

Only downsides, most people tend to think they are dorky looking. No place to carrying a tripod... but I attach an old camera strap to the tripod and carry it over/across my shoulder.

Otherwise I like the Tenba Shootout Ultralight Backpack. Not really a fan of any over-the-shoulder bag. (They always destroy my neck).
It is likely a little large for what you're carrying but it is the best small-sized backpack bag I've used yet.
With both hip and chest straps, the weight is kept off my back/shoulders and I can have it fully loaded with extra body and four or five lenses and not be worn out after a full day (ten+ hours) of walking around.

Last edited by amoringello; 06-25-2015 at 03:05 AM.
06-25-2015, 02:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are looking for a good bakcpack to hike, you should look at the ranges of Clik Elite and F-stop gear. They both have so me of the best ones in buisness to carry camera gear etc for longer hikes. (naneu also has some good bags, but they are more for day+ hikes)
www.clikelite.com
www.fstopgear.com
www.naneubags.com
They are not the cheapest bags on sale, but they are very good.
The Venture35 from clik elite should fit all you are saying. Alterativly, the clike elite venture 30 combined with a chest carrier (this you can click on your backpack, so you alwasy will have one camera ready in front). Or othersie, the Escape from clik elite, not as much space for food et,. But plenty of space for food and drink for 2-5 hour hikes.
From f-stop look into the loka with a large ICU
And from Naneu the K4L should fit wath you want to take ( a plus is that the camera insert can also be worn as a waistpack)
06-25-2015, 03:06 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have a lowepro pro runner AW for hiking. Very comfortable, loads of room for different stuff has those external net/web pockets that a bottle fits in and you can mount a tripod on the back
use it with either a peak design or a sun sniper for quick access during the hike... or both having a "spare" lens in the peak...

Last edited by max_pyne; 06-25-2015 at 04:52 AM.
06-25-2015, 04:42 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

I have a lowepro photo sport 200 AW, which is great, it has side access with room for a body or two and a few lenses (quickdraw) as well as room for other hiking necessities. I occasionally find it to be a bit small, but that's mostly when i need to fit full avalanche- and glacier gear.
06-25-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

This question comes along very often. You'll get varied answers based on everyone's experience. I recommend you do a search, there's a trove of information available.

Happy shopping!
06-25-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had the same question last year before going to China and did quite a bit of research on smaller backpacks for a kit about the size you mention. There are a lot of good products out there. I went with the F-stop Kenti and am extremely pleased and impressed with the functionality and quality of their gear.

06-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #8

I researched this bag a lot before I got it. Have not gotten it out much yet so no personal in depth review from me. But I think it's worth looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D93QR9I/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1435246646&sr=8-...ieL
06-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
I have a lowepro photo sport 200 AW, which is great, it has side access with room for a body or two and a few lenses (quickdraw) as well as room for other hiking necessities. I occasionally find it to be a bit small, but that's mostly when i need to fit full avalanche- and glacier gear.
I love this bag. Super-lightweight, very comfortable when loaded, sits close to the back without feeling sweaty, and good compartments for camera gear and day hike essentials. It's my carry-on, too.
06-26-2015, 01:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Naneu K4L I havent used but I have had the K3L for many years - the L means a dedicated laptop sleeve - just in case you need to do some editing on the trail. Very comfortable and would fit what you have specified. Straps for tripod and robust hip strap to carry most of the weight.
06-26-2015, 02:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I love this bag. Super-lightweight, very comfortable when loaded, sits close to the back without feeling sweaty, and good compartments for camera gear and day hike essentials. It's my carry-on, too.
I find that the straps dig into my shoulders when I'm carrying a really heavy load, but that's probably because it's over capacity, full avalanche/glacier gear + skis as well as camera gear.
06-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok,
thanks for all the suggestions! i'll look them all up on the net tonight, watch some youtube stuff :-) and tomorrow i'll hit the store.
Try them myself. I know they have quite a few in storage, so guess these brands will all be available.
I'll let you know what i come up with..
thks again..
06-29-2015, 01:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've spent my money on a lowepro flipside sport 15L. Not the biggest, but it ticked all my boxes.
Most of the bags in store were Lowepro, so i couldn't find/test some of the options mentioned unfortunately & i don't have the time to wait much longer..
I liked the lowepro sport 200 as well, but decided i wanted more 'photo gear' place in the bag.

I also felt that the flipside 15L did rest against my hips. Some other ones (such as the flipside 20L) 'rested' against my back, which i can imagine to be annoying on a day walk..

thks again for all suggestions.. :-)