Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 02:06 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interval shooting with battery grip.

Hi, can someone tell me if when interval shooting with a battery grip set to auto, will the camera in fact switch battery's without interrupting the interval shooting. This with a K-5 and original grip and battery's.

07-03-2015, 04:21 PM   #2

Original Poster
So i was wondering if it would be worth it to buy a battery grip for shooting time lapse. Will the grip allow the camera to switch battery's without shutting down the interval shooting? Thank you.......jtg
07-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Banned

Interesting question, curious to see the answer myself. I don't shoot intervals, so I can't help you, but I have tried to update my firmware with a battery in the body and one in the grip. I have my camera set to use the grip first and since that battery was less than fully charged, I could not update until I switched the camera to use the (full) body battery first, the auto setting failed as well. It doesn't really address your question, but may give you an idea of how the K3 "sees" it's power supply, The K5 is probably the same.

Perhaps a call / email to Pentax will be needed to get your answer.
07-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Interesting question, curious to see the answer myself. I don't shoot intervals, so I can't help you, but I have tried to update my firmware with a battery in the body and one in the grip. I have my camera set to use the grip first and since that battery was less than fully charged, I could not update until I switched the camera to use the (full) body battery first, the auto setting failed as well. It doesn't really address your question, but may give you an idea of how the K3 "sees" it's power supply, The K5 is probably the same.

Perhaps a call / email to Pentax will be needed to get your answer.
Thanks for your reply. Sounds like in your situation it may have been a good thing to switch and not risk a low battery during the update, that the camera would sense that is pretty impressive. With time lapse, sometimes shooting for many hours you might not notice when the battery goes dead so it would be great if the grip would switch automatically without interrupting the shooting. That may be too much to ask for. I am impressed with how many hundreds of pictures a fresh battery will take. Thanks again.....jtg

07-07-2015, 04:55 AM   #5
Banned

Just did a quick test. My grip battery was about ready for the charger, so I set the camera to fire off 200 shots at 5 sec. intervals. The camera started out on the depleted battery and did indeed switch over to the full body battery at some point without interrupting the series of shots. This was with the K3, but I would imagine the same would be true for the K5.
07-07-2015, 12:52 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Just did a quick test. My grip battery was about ready for the charger, so I set the camera to fire off 200 shots at 5 sec. intervals. The camera started out on the depleted battery and did indeed switch over to the full body battery at some point without interrupting the series of shots. This was with the K3, but I would imagine the same would be true for the K5.
Wow that is really good news! Thank you so much for taking the time to run that experiment and post the results...very thoughtful indeed. I will gladly spend the money for an original pentax grip knowing that it will allow a very long shoot...6 hours or more I believe. Thanks to you I will have time to get it before the next new moon, which is when I prefer to shoot time lapse night skies. Thanks again....jtg
07-07-2015, 07:16 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
Wow that is really good news!

Glad I could help! Like I said, you piqued my curiosity even though I have yet to dabble in time lapse photograpy. Hopefully you'll post some of your results for all to see!

07-07-2015, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
I prefer to shoot time lapse night skies
I have a K-r & K-50 no grip option......however do you post your time lapses? maybe paste a link? I enjoy doin them as well......sunsets and stars
07-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #9

Original Poster
Well I tried to post a short clip but got a message "invalid file". I have posted photos in the past but never a video...I'll have to work on that.
07-08-2015, 07:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

ok cool.....maybe paste a link to the page the videos reside?