Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 12:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF240FT and other legacy flashes

I've had a AF240FT for about a year, but haven't used it much if at all. I usually use vintage Sunpaks, and when I do use a legacy Pentax flash, it's the AF280T. Today I thought I would put the AF240FT on my K5IIs and see what would happen. The most noticeable thing was that the flash set the shutter to 1/90th when Trailing Curtain Sync was turned on. I came back and read the manual; surprisingly the flash was originally designed for the SFX/SF1. That's great because that's my main film camera. What legacy flash has the most compatibility with recent Pentax DSLRs?

06-29-2015, 03:04 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tighelander Quote
I've had a AF240FT for about a year, but haven't used it much if at all. I usually use vintage Sunpaks, and when I do use a legacy Pentax flash, it's the AF280T. Today I thought I would put the AF240FT on my K5IIs and see what would happen. The most noticeable thing was that the flash set the shutter to 1/90th when Trailing Curtain Sync was turned on. I came back and read the manual; surprisingly the flash was originally designed for the SFX/SF1. That's great because that's my main film camera. What legacy flash has the most compatibility with recent Pentax DSLRs?
Since I've recently acquired an AF280T I'd be interested in the answer to this.
06-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

AF240FT has TTL and 2-power level manual.

K-series Pentax DSLRs don't support TTL. In that mode, the flash will fire at full power. AF240FT is essentially a manual flash, with 2 power levels.

AF280T has TTL, 2 level auto (thyristor) and 3 power level manual. The auto mode makes it a much better flash than the AF240FT.

I prefer auto and no p-TTL than p-TTL and no auto.
06-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
One thing that the AF240FT has going for it is the focus assist light which has 50% more reach than the beam in the SFX body. You can switch it so that the AF light is the only thing working on the flash.