Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 05:16 AM   #1

Suggestions for small holster/bag?

I am looking for a small bag, probably holster style, to carry my K-50 with the 18-135 along with another lens (or maybe 2). The other likely lenses would be my 50mm and 100mm macro.
90% of the time I will carry my full backpack but would like the option of only carrying a few of my smaller lenses in a comfortable convenient bag for part of our vacation.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

06-29-2015, 05:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like my "Crumpler 4 million dollar " bag for K50, the 18-135 and one small lens (plus extra SD cards, battery adapter, lens wipes). You could try the 3/4/5/6/7/8/9 million dollar versions based on your needs.

Edit: This is a messenger bag style.
06-29-2015, 07:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look into the Think Tank mirrorless bags or the belt changer system.

Change Up - beltpack

Digital Holster 20 V2.0 - Holster - I have this one and use it all the time. Fits my K3/grip with DA*50-135 attached hood forward. FA31, FA43,or FA 77 at the bottom, hood of the DA*50-135 surrounds it. It's my event photography setup.
06-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If the 3 lenses are relatively small, such as about the size of a 18-55 DA give or take a little, this one could work:

http://store.lowepro.com/toploader-zoom-50-aw

It can be found for around $30. It has a small velcro partition that allows me to fit my K30 with a lens and an eyepiece magnifier attached on the left side of the partition, and another lens can fit on the right side. There is room for the strap above the lens on the right. I can also fit as large as my A 135mm f2.8 lens (77mm long) in the side pocket, when turned on its side. There is also a zipper pocket on the inside of the flap that zips open, and can fit an extra battery and memory card, and I keep a rubber collapsible hood inside the pocket that contains the rain cover. This is completely maxxing out the bag though, if you use a lens as large as 111mm long attached to your camera (my longest lens) it will still work but you may have to rearrange the partition when swapping lenses to lay the big lens more on its side in the bottom of the bag.

06-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Case Logic

https://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/products/camera/holsters/slr-camera-holst..._-_306_-_black

I use one of these for my K-x and small K/M primes. I use an extra divider from one of my other bags to make it a two-story compartment... on the bottom is usually a lens about the size of a M135/3.5, and the camera with a similar lens sits on top. This small holster bag has two zippered side compartments in which I keep extra batteries, a Raynox, a Lens Pen, and an ND filter. The divider I use came from a Lowepro bag and is not attached to anything... it just fits in there snugly. The bag will not come with a divider. I've even fit two cameras inside (the K-x and a Sony NEX-6, both with small K/M primes attached) but it's fairly tight. I have one other Case Logic bad I'd recommend you consider...

https://www.caselogic.com/en-us/us/products/camera/shoulder-bags/medium-slr-..._-_202_-_black

...although I found the side compartments on the second bag to be a little tight. Both are of excellent construction quality. The smaller bag is carried with me almost every day. I've replaced the sling straps on both bags with OpTech straps I already had, and both are quite comfortable to throw over the shoulder. The smaller holster has a belt loop, too.

Both bags were obtained quite cheaply... I think I purchased each one for <$20.

edit: It is possible to carry two small lenses in the bottom compartment if you use one of these: https://optechusa.com/lens-mount-cap.html
I've done this before with small primes, and I strongly suspect the Limiteds could be carried this way.
06-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably a touch small for all 3 lenses, but a Clik Elite DSLR chest pack (can also just be worn over 1 shoulder) would likely fit your 18-135 and 50mm macro along with a few accessories (battery, cards, etc). They also make a pro DSLR chest pack that has a bit more room. I have the smaller one and love it...I typically carry 3 primes (Da 15, Fa 31, Fa 77) but have also managed to squeeze in Da 12-24, Fa 31, and Fa 43 on one backpacking trip.

-Brandon
06-29-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Think Tank's
Hubba Hubba Hiney + Skin Belt.

Last edited by wed7; 06-30-2015 at 07:10 PM.
06-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tamrac has a few nice ones in this range, too.
06-29-2015, 10:36 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is a website that will let you compare several manufacturer's offerings. If you search by "By Size", you can browse by what bags will hold your small kit.

Camera Bags Reviews Homepage - Cambags

Tim
06-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I used a Tamrac 515 with a couple of lens pouches on the sides to do this. Their holster bags are set up so you can clip their lens pouches and other accessories on and off as you need to.
06-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by postal33610 Quote
I am looking for a small bag, probably holster style, to carry my K-50 with the 18-135 along with another lens (or maybe 2). The other likely lenses would be my 50mm and 100mm macro.
90% of the time I will carry my full backpack but would like the option of only carrying a few of my smaller lenses in a comfortable convenient bag for part of our vacation.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Digital Holsters, Holster Camera Bags - Think Tank Photo
Really well built, access zipper is reliable and easy to use. Adjustable for longer lenses. Not bulky.
06-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the medium DSL bag from Case Logic. I have the older version - actually it's on loan to my dad - and love it.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-SLRC-202-Medium-Camera/dp/B001TZWNF0/ref=sr...logic+slr+case

So I second what was said earlier about this bag. I have routinely carried my AF540FGZ on one side, two primes with a back to back cap or small leather pouches, accessories, and a medium long lens like the DA 18-135 or even the DA* 50-135 (no hood) in the center.
06-29-2015, 06:41 PM   #13

Original Poster
Wow. Thanks for all the suggestions.
I was looking at the Case Logic Medium bag before this post and it's nice to see it recommended by a couple of people. Time to go shopping and see if I can find a few of these options in person.
06-30-2015, 12:37 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bpv_UW Quote
Probably a touch small for all 3 lenses, but a Clik Elite DSLR chest pack (can also just be worn over 1 shoulder) would likely fit your 18-135 and 50mm macro along with a few accessories (battery, cards, etc). They also make a pro DSLR chest pack that has a bit more room. I have the smaller one and love it...I typically carry 3 primes (Da 15, Fa 31, Fa 77) but have also managed to squeeze in Da 12-24, Fa 31, and Fa 43 on one backpacking trip.

-Brandon

Yep, I have the Pro chest pack. And it will fit the camera and one more lens. It might even fit 2, but haven't tried that yet. On the otehr hand, the Trekker is also nice from them. That for sure will fit camera with lens and 2 extra lenses. It is a waistpack, so normally worn around the waist, but also has a shoulder strap, so it can convert into a shoulder bag easy.