Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I need a bag with wheels. Suggestions?

My pro friend has a wheeled Thinktank. It is big enough to carry lots of gear and thin enough (maybe) to get through an airplane aisle (and therefore long). This got me thinking about getting a wheeled bag/case. My increasing amount of gear is stored and carried in several smaller bags, which often is fine, but for those times when I need to tote lots of gear, it is awkward. I could get a wheeled bag/case, and then if necessary sling another bag on top of that and roll them both.

What are your experiences with wheeled bags and cases? Worthwhile? Too big to fly with? Not lockable if you need to check them on a flight? Weight? Detachable from the wheels (as the Ape 4000 is)? Other criteria I should be considering?

Suggest away.

07-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I have taken my Think Tank Airport Takeoff as carry on for domestic trips. I can wear it on my back in case I need to drag another small roller to avoid checking in luggages.
07-01-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No idea, but I am also interested in any suggestions.
07-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife has her own car! /rimshot

07-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
[Rodney Dangerfield voice] Let me tell you about my family. Take my wife. No, go ahead, TAKE HER! She crashed the car into a tree. I asked her how she could crash the car into a tree. She said, "Well, I beeped!"[end RD voice]

My fault for setting up the gag line. Back to your regular channel...
07-01-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
ThinkTank for the win.
Most of my bags are Thinktank, and I have pretty much all of their rolling bags (and many of the same) up to the Logistics Manager.
07-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
ThinkTank for the win.
Most of my bags are Thinktank, and I have pretty much all of their rolling bags (and many of the same) up to the Logistics Manager.
Thanks, Lauren. Why, though? Did you try other brands? What do you like and not like about the Thinktanks? Flight-capable? Lockable? Detachable from wheels? Size problems? Weight problems? Talk to us....

07-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The Porter Case is an incredible invention. I have two of the earlier models (Elite, which I got first not realizing it was smaller, and the PCII, which I use anytime I travel now). (They're actually made here in South Bend. I actually found out about them by accident while looking for someplace local that could fix my old suitcase).

It's sized to be a legit carryon for any airline (a lot of carryon sized bags are too large for many airlines, especially now that several US lines have reduced the allowed size). It has large ball bearing wheels. And most importantly, it unfolds to become a handy cart that you can fit all your other luggage on.

It's made my travel so much easier, whether I've got my camera gear in it or not (mostly I remove the camera dividers and use it as a carryon bag and carry my camera gear in my saddleback gadget bag). I remember going through a 2.5 week long honeymoon (my last vacation before buying it) with wheeled bags tethered to each other like a dysfunctional train, and every few minutes one of them would flip or something and I'd have to stop and untangle it... it was just a huge pain in the butt. With this thing, I just flip the handle, pile the bags onto it, clip the strap to the base and thread it through the handle, and I'm good to go (only really need the strap if I'm carrying something small/lightweight on it, like my normal camera bag or laptop case).
07-01-2015, 10:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Porter cases look excellent. Some wheeled bags, though, allow you to detach them and then they become backpack or knapsack. That doesn't look like the Porter's capability. Just curious; I'm not committed (yet) to a wheeled bag that can detach and become a backpack/knapsack.
07-01-2015, 11:14 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, you would't want to carry any hard case on your back, I expect they would be most uncomfortable. Not really sure why you'd remove the wheels on anything, unless it's like "I won't need these today, I'll leave them home" or something, to save a little weight. Covering them up so you don't get road dirt on your clothing, or they don't catch in hair or something, that I can understand, and I had an old gym bag with a feature like that (the wheels were just tiny little nearly useless things though. You basically unstrapped a patch of nylon and velcro and wrapped it over them).

Whatever you end up getting, I highly recommend checking eBay for a used one in good condition. Luggage has a ridiculous markup with a much lower resale value, so you could probably get whatever you want for 1/3 the retail price, or less. (Amazon warehouse deals is another good option if you prefer pristine gear. That stuff is usually brand new buyer-remorse return, or "box got dinged up in the warehouse too much so we can't sell it as new" -- I got a couple hundred dollar discount on a weber genesis grill last year because it had a dinged up box.)
07-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
I need a bag with wheels. Suggestions?
Have a look at the Pelican 1510, wheeled, tough, watertight and cabin walk-on permissible with most airlines.
07-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Have a look at the Pelican 1510, wheeled, tough, watertight and cabin walk-on permissible with most airlines.
Looks somewhat similar to the Porter. By the way, on sale at Pelican now, for anyone interested:
Pelican 1510 Carry On Case and Lid Organizer | PelicanCasesForLess.com

Why do you like the Pelican over, say, Thinktank designs?
07-01-2015, 01:11 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
Why do you like the Pelican over, say, Thinktank designs?
I've used their products over the years without drama, read the specs... IMHO they are second to known.

If you value your kit , these cases do what you need to protect it.
07-01-2015, 02:14 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ridgid or Husky

Ridgid
RIDGID 22 in. Pro Gear Cart, Black-222573 - The Home Depot (Should work for my gear. Needs DIY foam dividers)

Husky
Husky 35 in. Mobile Job Box-222167 - The Home Depot (Too big for me but pretty sturdy and smooth to ride with heavy stuff in it. Needs DIY foam dividers)

I like them for the shear reason that they wont cost you an arm and a leg like pelicans or porters would. Also they are less paparazzi-ish. As in won't catch much attention from the thieves.
Both are water tight and have a tubing to prevent water from entering. Both are prety smooth to ride with heavy stuff in it and solidly built (Duh.. they are built to hold tools after all)

---------- Post added 07-01-15 at 05:17 PM ----------

They also have $5 off on $50 going this week. coupon code is -> RWBEVENTHD

07-01-2015, 02:34 PM   #15
Forum Member

Bag with wheels

Hi,
Last summer traveled to Laos, Thailand, Viet Nam, Cambodia and Burma.
My wife and I bought 2 Osprey Meridian bags with wheels, a retractable handle with 60 litre capacity; The smaller 20 litre zips off. I used mine for my complete kit. The 40 litre wheeled bag we used for clothes, toiletries and Scotch (for medicinal purposes) but is padded enough would easily hold 2 more kits and a medium format set.
The beauty of the set is they are carry on when split. 40 litre in the baggage compartment and 20 litre in front of you. This allowed us to never have a baggage wait,You and your partner keep mindful of each others stuff while in flight and Know they have not been thrown into the hold. To end, the two can also be used as one unit with backstraps concealed behind a zippered flap on the 40 litre bag! They are still like new. Cost us $400 CDN ea.