Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Battery Pack?

I have an old Honeywell Strobonar 800 that used the Eveready 497 510v (discontinued) battery and when you can find these batteries they are in the $120 range as opposed to the $20 I used to pay for them. Does anyone know of a battery pack that can be used as a replacement? I like this old strobe but I sure don't want to pay that much for a battery that can't be recharged. I still have the wall charger that plugs directly into the flash but obviously that doesn't do any good in the boonies.

CW

06-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, that takes me back...tough assignment there, Straightshooter. Most of the Eveready 497/NEDA 471 510v non-rechargeables seem to be running $85-120; pretty stiff for a one-time carbon-zinc cell. I found this old reference to a Sunpack rechargeable pack (requires a separate battery, but the "more" link on the page indicates which one is needed): Sunpak 510v Battery Pack (510v Battery Sold Separately)

Thing is, I didn't find a reference to this battery pack on the current ToCAD website. You might have to search for a dealer with new old stock. Sorry I couldn't completely sort this one out.
06-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Straightshooter,

Did you ever get around this problem? I have a really nice Strobonar 710 but am in the same boat as you were back when you posted this.
06-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
D W
Veteran Member

The Sunpak rechargeable 510V battery has been discontinued for over 10 years. However you can find a used dead one and just replace the cells inside. It is 12 V consisting of 10 1.2V nicads.

06-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The strobanar 710 appears to have 4 sub-C nicads in the head that are soldered together in series. I'm going to get some from Radio Shack or elsewhere and give it a go. This unit is in excellent condition and works fine while plugged in and will even fire once on battery. If one of these cells wasn't so corroded, I wouldn't worry about it as much since I plan to use it with an umbrella mostly. All though it is kind of cool using it on its bracket with the H3 and SV. Plus, it may work with the 6x7.