Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AF-540AGZII Long Battery Recycle

I noticed that the flash is taking an extremely long time to recycle sometimes. I am using freshly charged Eneloop 1900mha batteries. Often the ready light is on but the flash does not fire. It seem a bit irregular but often it takes 20 seconds to fire. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? The manual says 3 second recharge with 2500 mha. I will pick up a set of those to see if that makes a difference. The 1900mha batteries work fine in my older AF360 and in a couple of Sony Flashes I have used them in.

07-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming you mean the AF560FGZII - I have the previous model AF560FGZ and use it with Eveready 2200ma Ni-MH batteries. I have not seen this but I rarely need quick flash recycle so I could be missing it - but I don't think I am. How long between flashes is it taking?

Since there are so many settings, what mode, what type of scene, what distance, what focal length? Or is this constant without respect to settings?
07-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
As far as I can tell there is no AF-560fgzii. There is an AF360FGZII. Yes, there are many settings. I have tested the flash on both the K3 and the K3ii with identical results. I have also tried every possible setting. I suspect it needs the higher mha batteries and will try them. My question asked if anyone else has had the problem. If no one else has this issue than I will know that it is either the batteries or my unit Thanks for the response but I do not need trouble shooting help at this point - maybe later.

Last edited by Mikesul; 07-14-2015 at 09:49 AM.
07-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
As far as I can tell there is no AF-560fgzii. There is an AF360FGZII. Yes, there are many settings. I have tested the flash on both the K3 and the K3ii with identical results. I have also tried every possible setting. I suspect it needs the higher mha batteries and will try them. My question asked if anyone else has had the problem. If no one else has this issue than I will know that it is either the batteries or my unit Thanks for the response but I do not need trouble shooting help at this point - maybe later.
PENTAX AF 540FGZ II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database ???? Not sure what you are saying. You wrote AF560AFZII I wrote AF540FGZII.

07-14-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
PENTAX AF 540FGZ II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database ???? Not sure what you are saying. You wrote AF560AFZII I wrote AF540FGZII.
This is strange. Look at the title of the thread and your first. On my computers I say 540 and you say 560.. I did mess up and type AGZ instead of FGZ. Not that any of it really matters.
07-14-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
This is strange. Look at the title of the thread and your first. On my computers I say 540 and you say 560.. I did mess up and type AGZ instead of FGZ. Not that any of it really matters.
OH!!!! LOL - I typo'd too. Sorry. Yes the A vs. F confused me. I have the series 1 version and haven't seen any poor cycle times with my Ni-Mh batteries which I think is what I hoped to contribute.
07-15-2015, 02:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The over-heat sensor seems tremendously sensitive and goes off a lot earlier than I would expect.
Are you taking several successive shots? Or basically just right off the shelf after being turned on?

I've really good luck with quick recycle times, especially at lower power.
It is really nice to take several or three shots in a row without waiting a second, even at lowest power!!! But that can cause overheating really quickly.
I think the extra long delay in the older model allowed for better cooling.