Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
EyeFi creates its own Wifi network so transfers can be done anywhere
Hello southlander, not having owned a tablet before, could I ask you how are the files transferred to the iPad? Given that I understand that the iPad does not have a file manager.
Regards beachgardener.

07-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You download the eye-fi app and it uses your tablet's wireless to connect directly to the eye-fi card in your camera. The app can be downloaded from the Apple store or Google play for Android. I use the Android version for my Samsung tablet.

Michael

---------- Post added 07-19-15 at 10:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Brand X Quote
OK, does anyone have any experience with tablets that have Windows operating systems?
I don't have experience with the Windows tablet but like others I use Photomate R2 for viewing Raw files. Android needs nothing extra for Jpeg, although there are plenty of free and cheap apps to use. I transfer Raw files from the usb card with an OTG Cable (Amazon.com: niceeshop 90 Degree USB 2.0 A Female to Micro B Male Converter Host OTG Adaptor Cable: Cell Phones & Accessories) and a USB card reader. Raw files I find to be too large for wireless on my K3.
07-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
You download the eye-fi app and it uses your tablet's wireless to connect directly to the eye-fi card in your camera. The app can be downloaded from the Apple store or Google play for Android. I use the Android version for my Samsung tablet. Michael
Thank you very much for that explanation, I might just do that with an Android tablet in the future.
07-19-2015, 11:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One further question if I may.
Once the jpg image files have been transfered to the Android tablet, can the files be managed ie. deleted or arranged in folders, that sort of thing?
If I was to acquire a tablet it would be for the purposes of viewing the said images.

07-19-2015, 11:33 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
One further question if I may.
Once the jpg image files have been transfered to the Android tablet, can the files be managed ie. deleted or arranged in folders, that sort of thing?
If I was to acquire a tablet it would be for the purposes of viewing the said images.
Just use the built-in file manager, or another one of your choice that you can download from the market.
07-19-2015, 11:49 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you, seems that it can be done no worries, I think I will go for it, cheers
07-20-2015, 11:50 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
or another one of your choice that you can download from the market.
Any suggestions there?

07-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any suggestions there?
For Android you an use ES File Explorer or B1File Manager from Google Play. For Apple I do not know.
07-21-2015, 03:57 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
For Android you an use ES File Explorer or B1File Manager from Google Play.
Thank you very much for that, when I'm ready, I can go forth with new found knowledge to utilise that type of technology. I think it will be good for such thing like viewing portfolio, signing off on images or simply showing friends.
07-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any suggestions there?
Yup, one.
ES File Explorer.
07-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for that.
07-24-2015, 04:18 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello southlander, not having owned a tablet before, could I ask you how are the files transferred to the iPad? Given that I understand that the iPad does not have a file manager.
Regards beachgardener.
Sorry for the slow reply. There is a downloadable EyeFi app for the iPad. It manages the process of transferring images from the EyeFi card from the camera to the iPad. You establish the wifi connection to the card in the iPad wifi settings menu, open the EyeFi app and the downloads start. The EyeFi app has a image viewer built in. If you transfer RAW files it will display the embedded JPEG. If you transfer JPEGs, then both the EyeFi app and the standard Apple Photos app will display the photos. This access to images in the standard Photos app would suggest that the EyeFi app conforms to Apple's standard file handling protocols when moving files.

Apple has had something of a hate relationship with Adobe, I'm a little uncertain whether Apple yet provides a Dng file reader as part of the iPad Operating system to allow Dng files to display in the Photo app. I haven't transferred Dng RAW files to the iPad, only JPEGs, but have transferred Dng files to Android devices.

I find my iPad is hesitant to automatically switch to the EyeFi card's network and I need to manually initiate the connection. I have had more success in Android getting the transfers to automatically start. Might be a config issue - I'm not an Apple person and have less familiarity with Apple devices (the iPad I use is work provided).

While you can set up the EyeFi card to transfer images immediately after capture to a device eg a phone in your pocket, I find that mode puts a fair load onto the camera battery. I typically keep the EyeFi card auto transfer feature inactive while out and about and instead do a single manually initiated transfer at the end of the day when back at my accommodation or while having my evening meal.
07-24-2015, 04:49 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry for the slow reply.
No problems and thank you for the information, makes viewing images on the tablet a lot more attainable, not bought one yet, but may do with this new found knowledge.
Cheers.
07-24-2015, 05:22 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In relation to managing collections of images, my workflow is such that I use the EyeFi transfers while traveling to inspect my images out of curiosity/quality checking as I go/boring the pants off my travelling companions. Eventually I clear these images off the mobile device.

Once home, I transfer images off the SD card using a card reader and post process and edit images on my computer using Lightroom. The 'best of' images then get exported as JPEGs and uploaded to Picasa Web on the Internet, using a different Picasa Web album for each logical grouping of images.

I have a third party app on each of my Android phone, Android tablet and iPad that syncs to Picasa Web and caches locally all the Picasa Web images (while preserving the album structure and order) to each of these devices plus a pc I used as a home theatre media device. So one upload and then a simple sync down to multiple devices. I do the syncs at home over wifi for the Android tablet and iPad as these are wifi only devices. On Android I use pFolio while on the iPad I use an app called Web Albums. Both cost a few bucks but do the job well. The standard Android Gallery app will also sync Picasa Web albums but the paid app offers more control over what is going on.

Generally sync the phone over wifi as well as mobile data is relatively expensive down here and subject to monthly limits. With caching enabled, I can then display images from any of my mobile device anywhere regardless of whether I have mobile data or wifi access or not, and I'm also not incurring any mobile data charges. I can also email links to any specific Picasa Web album to friends who I might want to share the images with and they can view these via the Internet. I set my Picasa Web albums security settings to Private so that no one except those I have sent links to can view any of my images. Some of the images I post to this forum are also just links to images stored on Picasa Web. I use a separate album on Picasa Web for such images creatively called Pentax Forums so I know not to delete or move these images and accidentally break the links across to my posts.

The JPEGs I upload to Picasa Web are resized to more or less match the screen resolution of my mobile devices as the extra image resolution in excess of screen resolution is effected wasted (unless you are a big fan of zooming in). This keeps file sizes manageable for devices where there is no ability to add on extra memory via micro SD cards eg Apple devices and some of the recent Android devices. My highest resolution mobile device screen is currently 2560 pixels on the long axis so I am now exporting and uploading JPEGs at 2560 pixels at Lightroom's 70% quality setting which seems to create good looking images with no banding problems yet keeps files at sub 1Mb sizes. This neatly matches my editing screen which is also 2560 pixels. As an aside Lightroom's export quality setting bears no resemblance to what other apps typically specify as the quality setting. Lightroom at 70% seems to correspond to 90+ % settings in other apps, so it's actually quite high quality.

Overall, this works really well and now I've nutted all this out is simple to manage. To the extent I've become known (for better or worse!!!) as someone who has an image of almost anything sitting just a few clicks away in my phone. I think I have about 3500 images currently in my phone (and by implication of the above methods, the same number on each tablet as well).

Last edited by southlander; 07-24-2015 at 05:32 AM.
07-24-2015, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In relation to managing collections of images
Fantastic information, for someone like me wanting to set up a tablet for viewing images.
Yes I have the desktop with Lightroom, and I will keep in mind the screen resolution thing as well as the apps.
Much appreciated Thank you.