Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2015, 09:28 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beachcomber, I just noticed where you live. Nice bit of country.

Now I did warn you I seem to have a photo of darn near everything. So that be you down there then somewhere in the distance of the photo below.

[Taken just before sunset from the Best of All lookout on the NSW/Qld border a couple of months ago]

Some more shots taken that day can be found here: Headiní for the Hills (this time behind the Gold Coast) | Photo Morsels

07-24-2015, 11:47 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is shot a little north of where I am, but yes I'd be in the landscape somewhere there
07-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
I see that this discussion has wandered a bit, as these internet discussion forums seem to do. Thank you all for your input, it has been helpful.

I did decide to get the HP Stream 8 Signature Edition Tablet for Racer's birthday this year (I hope he doesn't see this post before his special day arrives!). It should satisfy his desire to pester friends, relatives and coworkers with some of the thousands of pictures he has taken. It is small enough to carry around easily, and large enough to show detail. Having the Windows operating system means he can have whatever editing and viewing software he chooses for viewing and light editing tasks. There is also a memory card slot to have room for even more pictures, and a micro USB port.

Racer is a Gadget Head. He has so many gimcracks and geegaws that I have lost track of them all.

I think he will be happy with this thing.
07-27-2015, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #34
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm sure he will love it! I thoroughly enjoy seeing Racer's photos, plus he's a super nice guy!

07-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm sure he will love it!
Finding gifts for him is difficult. He has 'everything' already. As a mechanic and gadget guy he has amassed a sizable collection of tools and such.

I thoroughly enjoy seeing Racer's photos, ................
He gets a lot of compliments on his work. Thanks for another!

.................... plus he's a super nice guy!
I think so!

( Most of the time. )
10-25-2019, 11:11 AM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I gave Racer the HP Stream 8 tablet instead of a digital picture frame. Unfortunately it didn't work so well, he says because of that "WinBlows8" operating system.

Several of you suggested an Android tablet, but since the recommendations are 4 years old, maybe there are more up to date versions that I might look at? Christmas is coming, and I like to get my shopping done early, you know.

Thanks for any and all help!

Mrs.Racer 2.0
11-13-2019, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Android tablet market has somewhat imploded in the past few years, with many recognized names leaving the market.

I had an ASUS I liked until I replaced it with a refurbished iPad. My mother has a Samsung she got with a deal from her phone service provider. She likes that as well.

I would suggest a minimum of 64Gb memory. Though additional memory can be added to some Android tablets, it cannot be added to all of them (or to iPads), so be careful.

I havenít found either the Android or Apple tablets to be ideal photography companions, but the Apple is less of a pain. I suspect much of that is because Iím invested in their ecosystem otherwise (the Apple TV does great slideshows over my home network, for example...)

In either case, get a good case for it. Not a lousy generic one that fits anything about the right size, but one thatís properly fit for your tablet. It will save you headaches later when your tablet does not fall out of its case...

Good luck.

-Eric

11-16-2019, 04:51 PM   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The Android tablet market has somewhat imploded in the past few years, with many recognized names leaving the market.

I had an ASUS I liked until I replaced it with a refurbished iPad. My mother has a Samsung she got with a deal from her phone service provider. She likes that as well.

I would suggest a minimum of 64Gb memory. Though additional memory can be added to some Android tablets, it cannot be added to all of them (or to iPads), so be careful.

I havenít found either the Android or Apple tablets to be ideal photography companions, but the Apple is less of a pain. I suspect much of that is because Iím invested in their ecosystem otherwise (the Apple TV does great slideshows over my home network, for example...)

In either case, get a good case for it. Not a lousy generic one that fits anything about the right size, but one thatís properly fit for your tablet. It will save you headaches later when your tablet does not fall out of its case...

Good luck.

-Eric
Thank you for the help Eric.