Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-14-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Portable photo storage and display?

Racer has a birthday coming up. He already has 'everything', but said he always has the desire to share his pictures with family, friends and coworkers.

He is looking for a device that he can put pictures in, with one of those memory things like the camera uses to record the pictures on. It needs to be between 5 x7 and 8 x 10 inches, self powered (rechargeable, and also useable with a power cord). It would be better if he could put that photo software that comes with the camera for viewing the files straight out of the camera.

One of those multi function tablets that also acts as a phone isn't really what he is looking for. He says, "I already have a phone, one is enough!"

I have searched and the amount of choices is intimidating.

Does anyone know of or use something like this?

07-14-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Get Racer an ipad or equivalent, or any sirt of tablet
07-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's one and it doesn't even need batteries...
07-14-2015, 11:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A digital frame is IMHO not very practical esp. re. viewing files (esp. RAWs) straight from the camera.
An Android tablet is IMHO the best solution, maybe paired with an OTG cable and possibly an usb sd card reader (even if it already has a microsd slot), and a raw viewer such as Photo Mate R2.

07-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
An Android tablet is IMHO the best solution, maybe paired with an OTG cable and possibly an usb sd card reader (even if it already has a microsd slot), and a raw viewer such as Photo Mate R2.
That is my suggestion as well.

Steve
07-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Digital photo frames are generally junk because the manufacturers handicap them with bad displays.

For digital display, I'll second the Android tablet idea mentioned above. That will be less expensive than an iPad. Yes, it is a multifunction device that can do a lot of other stuff but he doesn't have to use those functions.
07-14-2015, 03:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I second wolfeye! That's what we use.

07-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is what I use. Even run Lightroom 5.7 on it sucessfulty.
http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Detachable-Touch-Laptop-Storage/dp/B00OBQ5...ds=transformer
07-14-2015, 08:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
A digital frame is IMHO not very practical esp. re. viewing files (esp. RAWs) straight from the camera.
I brought my July 4th snaps and video to my mom via Asus android tablet with hi resolution screen & she loved it. I just saw an odd brand android 4.4 7-inch on sale locally for $39..not the best screen I'm sure but decent.

---------- Post added 07-14-15 at 19:06 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
This is what I use. Even run Lightroom 5.7 on it sucessfulty.
http://www.amazon.com/Transformer-Detachable-Touch-Laptop-Storage/dp/B00OBQ5...ds=transformer
Wow I paid $220 a couple months ago. I know the android better but this 10" is great with long battery life.
07-14-2015, 11:11 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use an EyeFi card to transfer pictures straight from camera to either an Ipad or Note 4 phone, depending what I am traveling with at the time. No need for converters/card readers with this set up. I shoot RAW + small JPEG and just send the JPEG through to the iPad/phone. Easy with the K-3 as I send RAW to a large fast SD card in slot 1 and the small JPEGs to the EyeFi card in slot 2. The K-3 also gives the option to send all jpegs through automatically or just selected files. EyeFi creates its own Wifi network so transfers can be done anywhere and no need for roaming mobile data plans when travelling overseas. Could send through the RAW files as well if I choose and have the capacity on the tablet/phone to cope with the size of RAW files. The EyeFi app displays the JPEG embedded in the RAW files so you can still see what is going on by using the viewer in the EyeFi app, even if you don't choose to save as RAW + JPEG in the camera.

Both of the current generation iPads and the Samsung AMOLED screens (either phone or tablet) are the best and most accurate small screens for colour accuracy available in the market. Avoid the mini iPad through, its screen is sadly sub-par vs its big brothers.
07-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Here's one and it doesn't even need batteries...
He already has a lot of those.

But they aren't very practical when the storage capacity is compared to today's digital solutions.

Thanks for the reply though.

Last edited by Brand X; 07-15-2015 at 10:58 AM.
07-15-2015, 10:58 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
The Android sounds promising. Can the Pentax Digital Camera Utility be installed on one?
07-16-2015, 04:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brand X Quote
The Android sounds promising. Can the Pentax Digital Camera Utility be installed on one?
No, in a word. Needs Windows. But there are a few light duty photo editors out there for Android and iPad for quick'n'dirty edits while on the move. Traveling tonight and don't have my iPad here but I think the app I installed is called Photosmith. Not available on Android though. Gives you a pretty good set of the basics to tidy up an image in order to email or post to the net while on the road.

Last edited by southlander; 07-16-2015 at 04:56 AM.
07-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, does anyone have any experience with tablets that have Windows operating systems?
07-16-2015, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brand X Quote
OK, does anyone have any experience with tablets that have Windows operating systems?
QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
The above quoted from my earlier post is a tablet essentially with the bonus of a nice keyboard and more ports.