Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Right angle finder, Pentax KX & P30t

Hello!

I have a right angle finder for the Pentax KX, but since the camera has been misbehaving lately, I bought a P30t while I save some money to CLA it. It happens that the angle finder won't fit the P30t!

Is there some kind of adapter that could be used?

Regards!

08-01-2015, 03:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you are meaning the Pentax KX film camera then NO the right angle finder will not fit on a P30t.

Pentax made a change in the dimensions of the eyepiece when they introduced the M series cameras, ME and MX first, in 1976.

Eyepiece accessories fall into two groups.

1. Pentax Screw mount and K series bayonet mount (K2, KX, KM, K1000) or
2. M series and all later cameras including DSLRs.

If you want a Pentax right angle finder you will need either a Ref-converter M or a Ref-converter A. The A version has slightly changed optics to show any information below the viewfinder.

Regards

Chris
08-01-2015, 04:28 PM   #3

The Ref-converter M and A will fit on the earlier camera bodies - but not snugly. They could even possibly slip off if you invert the camera.

Some people were taking a viewfinder cover and modifying it to replace the bracket on the earlier Ref-converter and magnifier eyepiece.
08-02-2015, 03:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies!

So we have the Refconverter II for older cameras and the M and A for newer. And there are no adapters... I guess I'll have to make one, then!

Regards!

08-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The M and later VF frame is larger than that on the K bodies. It was designed to accommodate the new, larger viewfinders and all the new information showing in the margins. Making an adapter for the frame was, at the time, less useful than making a new Refconverter that was optimized to the new viewfinders (the A Refconverter takes this a step further, making the info on the BOTTOM of the viewfinder visible).