Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reversing ring that works?

Has anyone purchased a Pentax K mount reversing ring that works? I tried one from Amazon, a Fotodiox 49mm, and it barely makes it on, and could easily get stuck on. I'd like to find one that works.

And BTW, could I use such a reversing ring on a cheap set of macro tubes? Might be a way around the issue of getting it stuck on the camera.

And just to be clear, I'm not talking about a two-lens stacking solution; this is for just reversing one lens.

08-02-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've normally had good luck with Photodiox brand items. Maybe you got a defective one?

You might try ebay for a Pentax one, they do show up occasionally.
08-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #3
Banned

I've got a couple of "Flashpoint" brand from Adorama. Never had any fears they were mounting too tight. I believe they were fairly inexpensive too IIRC.
08-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oakland Rob Quote
Has anyone purchased a Pentax K mount reversing ring that works? I tried one from Amazon, a Fotodiox 49mm, and it barely makes it on, and could easily get stuck on. I'd like to find one that works.

And BTW, could I use such a reversing ring on a cheap set of macro tubes? Might be a way around the issue of getting it stuck on the camera.

And just to be clear, I'm not talking about a two-lens stacking solution; this is for just reversing one lens.
I've always used the Pentax reversing rings in 49mm and 52mm diameters and had no problems with them.

Regards

Chris

08-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never had an issue with a Pentax one for either 35mm or 6x7 formats. Always stick to the OEM ones and you will not have any problems.

Phil.
08-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ones I have for straight lens reversal - ie k-mount to filter thread, cheap ones from China via Ebay - do work, but yes they are sometimes hard to remove from the mount. So what I do is always leave them on a short extension tube (12mm) and never put them on the camera body directly. That way I'm not worried about damaging the camera, and if one does get stuck on that tube, well, the short tube is not a big loss for use with non-reversed lenses.
08-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The ones I have for straight lens reversal - ie k-mount to filter thread, cheap ones from China via Ebay - do work, but yes they are sometimes hard to remove from the mount. So what I do is always leave them on a short extension tube (12mm) and never put them on the camera body directly. That way I'm not worried about damaging the camera, and if one does get stuck on that tube, well, the short tube is not a big loss for use with non-reversed lenses.
Think I'll try that. I don't believe there are any Pentax OEM reversing rings, but maybe my search skills just aren't good enough. Thanks.

08-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't believe there are any Pentax OEM reversing rings,
Sure there are. I have two in fact, 49mm and 52mm. They are hard to find, mostly because they cost so little it is not worth the time to list them on ebay. Try looking a old film camera kits with bags and filters and so on. Sometimes they will list or show a reversing ring in the picture. That is how I got both of mine. Rarely if ever use them.
08-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry, I meant there aren't any available. I'll grab one if I run across one, but meanwhile it was easier to grab an extension tube, as suggested, and pretty useful to boot. It kinda surprises me that Pentax bothered making them. And I had issues with cheap extension tubes sticking in the mount. I used an old teleconverter that I took the glass out of.
08-05-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I meant there aren't any available. I'll grab one if I run across one, but meanwhile it was easier to grab an extension tube, as suggested, and pretty useful to boot. It kinda surprises me that Pentax bothered making them. And I had issues with cheap extension tubes sticking in the mount. I used an old teleconverter that I took the glass out of.
Sorry, misunderstood. Back in the day Pentax (and I assume the other camera companies) made a lot of stuff. There were not the third party makers available back then and I assume a lot of that stuff like filters, reversing rings, extension tubes and so on was high margin add on sales. I have a couple boxes full of odds & ends like that I have picked up over the years when I bought up complete camera outfits. Not much call for most of it anymore and what there is usually is covered by cheap versions on ebay.
08-06-2015, 07:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I bought two used generic ones from KEH last year for 4-5 dollars each (49 and 52mm to cover pretty much all of my primes). They work well, unless they are pretty crooked I can't see how they would get stuck on the camera.

Reverse rings are so much fun. This is my sweater taken on top of my work desk... (Rokinon 24mm 2.8 inverted, at f16, onboard flash)

08-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #12

Even OEM adapters can be slightly off spec. I have an OEM Minolta adapter for Leica lenses that is very tight in the mount - on all my camera bodies and bellows. It's not so tight that it jams but I can't remove it with my bare hands. I have to use the removal tool or use a rubber grip to get enough friction so that I can move it by hand.
09-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
All experienced folk here so I'm singing to the choir...
I suspect another reason good reversing rings are hard to find if that you have to also have glass with a built-in aperture ring. Otherwise the lens can only be used wide open when reversed.
09-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
... you have to also have glass with a built-in aperture ring. Otherwise the lens can only be used wide open when reversed.
I suspect this depends on the type of mount of the lens you are reversing - and when you're reversing, you're fine to use non-Pentax glass - but for Pentax lenses, it's the other way. A reversed lens without an aperture ring will stay at its most closed (often F/22). I've seen various workarounds suggested to open it up (a bit) by pushing on the aperture lever, but since I use lenses with aperture rings, I've never actually tried any of those workarounds...

Last edited by Doundounba; 09-09-2015 at 06:51 PM. Reason: clarification
09-09-2015, 08:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Possibly build a reversing ring out of a body cap, or a short extension tube, and a filter step down/up ring?

Construction process would likely include a Dremel tool and some epoxy....

Trying to work it out in my head, but not seeing all the pieces now,