Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #1

pentax split image focus screen

Looking at buying one for a K100D, to help with focusing with manual lens, has anyone used them, still using one? Are they any cop? Can they be easily removed if needed?

Cheers guys

08-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #2

I have K100D also Turned it upside down looked inside and I would say changing might be little bit trickier. Check from other thread What I did for K-3. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/297282...ml#post3335015 It was my first time. And same e-bay dealer has K100D screens also if I remember correctly.

And I don't need focus screen for my K100D as it has already good split image micro prism screen So I don't have K100D experience.
08-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can find a Katzeye out there that's the best. They are out of business but someone might still have the K100D screens. Looks like K100/K200/Kx/Km/Kr all used the same screens.
08-07-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i use ones from jinfinance they offer single and dual split diagonal focusing screens, go for the dual split it is better for accurate focusing than the single split image screen since it moves a whole wedge out of line

08-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #5

One caveat -- in my experience, for accurate manual focusing, replacement screens ALWAYS need shimmed -- and that's a problem because the shims are hard to get. I suspect that because the stock screens are so crappy they're never shimmed properly, and that is exacerbated by putting a decent screen in.
08-07-2015, 11:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect the stock screens are fine and the Chinese replacements are not the right thickness and that is why shims are needed. People who buy the Pentax grid screen don't need to shim because they are the correct thickness. I recently went through the ordeal of replacing the damaged original focusing screen on an older Rolleiflex with the Chinese made replacement. The Chinese screen required extra work to get the focus right.
08-08-2015, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought that the bottom of the screen was the critical distance - which renders thickness irrelevant as long as it fits.

The theory is that the stock screen has so much slop in terms of imprecise focus (you can't distinguish between finely focused and sort of focused) that the shimming done at the factory is not actually accurate enough for the split prism screens.

Replacement factory screens suffer from this lack of precision also so no one notices any problems when replacing them with another even one with gridlines.

08-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Are there actually Pentax interchangeable screens. I had not heard of them here before. But remember using with MX way back. I really liked the old SG screen - ground glass with grid. I did not like split image and microprism much because of the blacking out effect with slower lenses.
08-09-2015, 06:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are a couple of things to note here.

First, yes for some cameras, such as the *IstD there were optional Pentax screens

Second, the thickness does not change accuracy, you are looking at the focused image in the front of the screen

Third, many people have posted that the entry level cameras had less accurate placement of the screens. My K10D and *istD (both flagship cameras) never had an issue. The replacement screens were spot on

Lastly, I is true that the stock screen makes accurate focus for fast lenses (below F4 ) impossible, due to its design, you can't really distinguish what is in or out of focus.

For split image focusing the most accurate is when you intersect the subject edge at 90 degrees but that is not always possible with a horizontal split image, which I is why I like the diagonal ones. While it may be only my imagination , the impression I have is that with a dual split image,ms once you move a slice of the subject out of line, it seems easier to nail the focus. Which is why I recommended it.

As for blacking out of the viewfinder. This is a function not just of the split image but your eye alignment , and for many people it is not an issue because you want accurate focusing for FAST lenses, the depth of field for slow lenses is good enough that you usually don't need the precision.
08-17-2015, 02:13 AM   #10

+1 for dual split.

I have single split in K100 and sometimes center AF led hits to the split just right and then I see nothing for a while. On K-3 and dual split there isn't this problem.
08-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used a Jinfinance one in my K10 and it didn't need shims. Worked great, too.