Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 06:45 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Faster cards vs. higher capacity

I have a couple of 2GB Sandisk Extreme III cards, but i've been thinking about getting a 4GB or an 8GB card for when I travel. I usually shoot in RAW mode (simply because I can, and I like the idea of the stuff I can do with it in Lightroom), so more capacity would be great.

However, in my searching on the internet for a good deal, I found a nifty 4GB Lexar media SDHC card that is SUPER fast, for when i'm shooting action (the kids, mostly), but it's a bit pricey. I can get that card for around $70, or I can get an SDHC 8GB that's not as fast for less. Tough decision...Opinions, anyone? I am very much a brand snob. I'm not of the opinion that I could go cheap and get an "A Data" card (for example) and use it until it falls apart in a year. I'd rather spend more money for something that is going to last a long time.

Also, I have seen some of the cards listed as an 8GB class 6 or an 8GB class 4 (or even a class 2). What does that mean? What is the difference in classes?

06-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought two 8 Gbs Extreme III witha great rebate for about $40. And they are freaking FAST!

Check Adorama for them, i think the rebate still goes on....

also, google SD class for definitions. IIRC is has to do with transfer rates. But still, I have not seen a card as fast as the Extreme III, and I have a bunch of SD cards, because of my canon and my car stereo.
06-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
I bought two 8 Gbs Extreme III with a great rebate for about $40. And they are freaking FAST!

Check Adorama for them, i think the rebate still goes on....
Hmmm....can't find that one. I can find ONE on Amazon for about $55 before shipping.
06-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can get a Transcend 16gb with a USB reader for somewhere between $60 and $70. I bought one about a month ago and have been very happy with it.

06-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I got the 8GB Sandisk extreme III card as well, and i'm thinking about getting another. if i had bought two at once the rebate would have been bigger, but...

the rebate is until the 29th of june.

8GB Extreme III
06-17-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I ordered 2-4GB Extreme III cards from Beach Camera last week and I'm looking forward to getting them. That'll mean that I'll have 4-4GB cards and 1-1GB card (the play card) for a total of 17GB of memory. I figure that should get me through a week's vacation.

My total for the new cards after rebate: $25.98.

Heather
06-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yetidesign Quote
I got the 8GB Sandisk extreme III card as well, and i'm thinking about getting another. if i had bought two at once the rebate would have been bigger, but...

8GB Extreme III

I dont think you have to buy them at once. I first bought one 8GB III and liked it so much that I purchased the 2nd 8GB III also from Adorama.

I submitted my rebate info and it seems like it go approved for $90 rebate.

06-17-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would stay with "class 6" cards -- they're the fastest.
06-17-2008, 03:51 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
You can get a Transcend 16gb with a USB reader for somewhere between $60 and $70. I bought one about a month ago and have been very happy with it.
If this is the same one i bought, it's a good choice.

works in *ist DS with 2.02 firmware fine (had issues with an Extreme III 8GB). Class 6, so nice and fast. 955 shots in Raw, 935 in Raw + 2MP * JPG on a K200D

It's my backup card when i fill my 8GB Extreme III, 4GB Ultra II and 2x 2GB Ultra II
06-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yetidesign Quote

8GB Extreme III
Thanks! I pulled the trigger and bought one of these. Unfortunately, it won't be here in time for my trip to Arizona in ten days...it's on backorder!
06-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nakey Quote
If this is the same one i bought, it's a good choice.

works in *ist DS with 2.02 firmware fine (had issues with an Extreme III 8GB). Class 6, so nice and fast. 955 shots in Raw, 935 in Raw + 2MP * JPG on a K200D

It's my backup card when i fill my 8GB Extreme III, 4GB Ultra II and 2x 2GB Ultra II
Yup. I can't decide whether to get another one for back up or wait for the 32GB to drop in price.