Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2015, 05:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any Progress In Tethering?

I'm hoping that from the last time I looked into it, there has been some progress in the world of Pentax tethering. My daughter's birthday is coming up and I was hoping to set up a "photobooth" for her party. I've got a K-3, flucard, way too many lenses, an old trusty laptop (just upgraded to Windows 10 on it), and a triggercord that I rarely use.

I know the flucard allows me to tether, but it is slow and it constantly disconnects from whatever device I'm using to remotely connect (I guess it disconnects after about thirty seconds of non-use). I guess I'm just hoping that there is a better way to do this. I'm pretty sure there is still no lightroom support, but is there anything else I can use? If there is no solution, I'll do my best with the flucard, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you all in advance for any help and advice.

08-16-2015, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer is: no progress, no news.
08-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Has anyone tried this?

Pentax and Samsung Tethered Capture Plug-in for Lightroom for Windows - DNA Software

It claims to be a plugin that allows Pentax cameras to work with Lightroom tethering. I haven't had a chance to research or try it out, but if no one else has, I'll try to when I get home later today.
08-16-2015, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I looked into that some time ago. I emailed them about support for the k-3. The reply was that they did not support the k-3 or k-S1 or K-S2.

They do support the k-5 but I never tested it so no idea if it actually works. Here is a link to an earlier thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/297677-tethering...5-0-above.html

08-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Isn't there a video-out somewhere on the camera? Maybe you could hook up a small TV to it and let the kids see themselves that way?
08-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I'm hoping that from the last time I looked into it, there has been some progress in the world of Pentax tethering. My daughter's birthday is coming up and I was hoping to set up a "photobooth" for her party. I've got a K-3, flucard, way too many lenses, an old trusty laptop (just upgraded to Windows 10 on it), and a triggercord that I rarely use.

I know the flucard allows me to tether, but it is slow and it constantly disconnects from whatever device I'm using to remotely connect (I guess it disconnects after about thirty seconds of non-use). I guess I'm just hoping that there is a better way to do this. I'm pretty sure there is still no lightroom support, but is there anything else I can use? If there is no solution, I'll do my best with the flucard, but I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thank you all in advance for any help and advice.
The K-S2 is the best option current out there. I wouldn't be surprised if they released tethering in the K-3's successor as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tested out the DNA software with my K-01 and Lightroom 5 (I also have Lightroom CC, but that's installed on my desktop and I don't think I'd ever use my desktop for tethering since I'd only use tethering on the go) and it works. I didn't have live preview, I'm not sure if that's a demo limitation or if you just can't preview the images. I haven't tested it out with the K-3 because the K-3 seems to use a USB 3.0 cable that I either lost, or it didn't come with the camera. I guess I'll be ordering one soon. I have to admit that being able to use develop settings on import is really awesome. It only makes me wish that Pentax would release whatever info they needed in order to be able to tether in Lightroom... Hopefully, I'll continue playing around with it and I'll keep you guys posted.

---------- Post added 08-16-15 at 10:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-S2 is the best option current out there. I wouldn't be surprised if they released tethering in the K-3's successor as well.
Does the K-S2 better at handling the flucard than the K-3?

08-16-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

the K-S2 better at handling the flucard than the K-3?
K-S2 has built-in WiFi. No need for Flucard.
08-17-2015, 12:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
K-S2 has built-in WiFi. No need for Flucard.
Wow. I wish the K-3 had that instead of the Flucard...
08-17-2015, 12:23 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Wow. I wish the K-3 had that instead of the Flucard...
Swings and roundabouts, Reivax.

You can remote shoot on a Windows or Mac notebook, with the Flucard, but not the K-S2.
08-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Swings and roundabouts, Reivax.

You can remote shoot on a Windows or Mac notebook, with the Flucard, but not the K-S2.
I guess that's an acceptable trade-off.
08-17-2015, 01:18 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Does the K-S2 better at handling the flucard than the K-3?
The built-in wi-fi works rather well. Check the in-depth review for details.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-18-2015, 06:09 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Has anyone tried this?

Pentax and Samsung Tethered Capture Plug-in for Lightroom for Windows - DNA Software

It claims to be a plugin that allows Pentax cameras to work with Lightroom tethering. I haven't had a chance to research or try it out, but if no one else has, I'll try to when I get home later today.
I also tried the demo version of the plugin with my K-5 and K-5IIs. So far it works okish but has 2 downsides:

- files do not get saved on the SD card, just in the tether folder on the PC, this sounds quite insecure for my liking.
- USB2.0 has a really slow transfer rate, but it's acceptable when using JPGs for a preview.

I am really looking for a fast, secure and reliable instant file transfer solution to review my files on the fly, this shouldn't be that much of a problem in these days, as it is sadly.