Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A bag that fits this set of equipment

Hey Guys,

I've written about bags before... and i've bought 3-4 of them over the last month and resold because they didn't fit me.
(Computrekker Plus, Amvona, Tamrac Expedition 3)

I finally found a size that I generally wanted - Adventure 9, Tamrac Expedition 9,
Computrekker.

And won a computrekker to be my travel / doesn't look like a camera bag and can hold laptop bag. Perfect in my opinion Now i'm going to the fashion week however I need one that is more accessible and more like a traditional bag... Here is the equipment I'm planning to put in

K20D / K10D with battery grips (16-50 on one, 50-135 on other)
Extra AA Batteries
Monopod
Pentax 540 with Stofen
Tamron 1.4x TC
Pentax 12-24mm
Pentax 43mm LTD / or 50 1.4
CB Mini-Rc (anyone try this on a k20d yet?)
And the usual lens pen ... cloths... etc

Bonus if it can fit a 12 inch laptop , but not a requirement.

Thanks so much everyone for their help :P I've learned a lot in a little time from here !

Last edited by Okami; 06-19-2008 at 11:20 AM.
06-18-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

...stealth reporter?
06-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tenba Medium Shootout or the PB15C. I've got the large shootout (15" widescreen laptop) and love it.
06-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Venturi, wish I knew this before i got my computrekker (though maybe i'll sell that one for this one ;P) But i'm looking more for one that has some quick access to the bag for more journalist type shooting. Thanks!

06-19-2008, 07:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

not sure if you looked into what i said, but the stealth reporter d650 would fit everything you want, plus a little more, i think

06-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Okami Quote
Thanks Venturi, wish I knew this before i got my computrekker (though maybe i'll sell that one for this one ;P) But i'm looking more for one that has some quick access to the bag for more journalist type shooting. Thanks!
You're welcome, belated. hehe
Both of those Tenba bags have "quick access" side pockets. The Shootout has 2 on the bottom and the PB15C has 4 (2 on each side). They're not quite like the Lowepro's that make a slide-out style pocket for a body/lens but they are handy for grabbing out lenses (especially the PB15C) without having to open up the whole thing. The 15C also has a fold out "desk" if you will that has extra pockets on one side for filters and other flat items.
I agonized over these 2 bags as I really wanted the PB15C but incredibly I just could not rationalize the extra $50 despite repeated attempts at circular logic and other tricks of the mind used to buy more than you really need.
06-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #7

I love my Kata R-101, which is roughly the same size as (slightly bigger than) the Expedition 3, though it may not provide the quick-access you want.

Since it's a backpack-style bag, it requires removing at least one shoulder (I prefer removing both) to access the camera via a small flap that provides access to just the camera and attached lens, leaving the other gear protected. Doesn't bother me, much, since if I'm walking around and taking pics as I go, I usually have the camera attached to the D-rings on the front. The D-rings + straps + shoulder straps act as a neck-strap replacement (and far more comfortable than a neck-strap, IMO).

The R-101 includes a laptop sleeve, though I don't use it. Padding / protection is top notch, if that's a concern.

I also like that I can expand the bag's capacity significantly by attaching the W-92 waist pack, or make for lighter schlepping of less gear by using just the W-92 on its own. YMMV.

06-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Have you given any thought to the Domke bags? I'm not sure about the inserts, but I think you could carry one in your checked bag, flattened, while you carry your backpack with gear and laptop as a carry-on. I don't think you'd really need to carry your laptop when you're actually out shooting, so the Domkes would work when you need quick access to your gear. A couple of their models that might work for you are the F-2 and the F-6
F-2 DOMKE'S ORIGINAL BAG/BLACK - Tiffen.Com
F-6 LITTLE BIT SMALLER BAG/BLK - Tiffen.Com

If you want to check out the rest of the line, then click here:
Domke Camera Bags - Tiffen.Com

They've got a good variety of padded dividers that you buy separately to customize your bag just like you want it.

HTH,
Heather
06-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Anyone use products from Think Tank?

Maker of pro photography equipment - camera bags, digital camera cases: Think Tank Photo
06-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hello All!! Just wanted to update you on my choice

First it ended with literally a coin toss between the Stealth Reporter 650 AW and the Domke F-2.

My main purpose for this bag was quick access. I wanted the laptop choice but after thought I probably wouldn't be carrying my laptop around in the situations I would be using this bag.

So it ended up to be the Domke F-2. I just got it in the mail today and the first thing I thought when I saw it was.. Wow this is kind of small.

Amazingly enough it's so far able to fit everything. My 50-135mm is at Pentax (and has been FOREVER) right now so i'll wait to take pics once I get it. I'm pretty amazed. I still might get the stealth reporter 650 later for those times i do need quick access / laptop.

Thanks again for all your help.. Now only if these divders didn't cost so freakin much! 20-30$ for a few flaps of nylon, Styrofoam and velcro???
06-26-2008, 04:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Domkes are a "system". That's another way of saying everything costs extra!

Seriously though, I am looking at the F-6 for my bigger kit, so I feel your pain...

Chris