Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
A Zeiss 8X20 monocular

Wow thats real pretty. I bet its nice to use too. Certainly not cheap though

08-29-2015, 09:55 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, not cheap at all. The Zeiss monocular is quite expensive, but it offers performance equal to the more expensive (and ergonomically challenged) 8X20 Leica monocular.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-30-2015 at 04:35 AM.
08-30-2015, 03:28 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
No the Zeiss monocular is quite expensive, but it offers performance equal to the more expensive (and ergonomically challenged) 8X20 Leica monocular.
My Zeiss 8X20 is tiny and almost as pocketable as a Lens Pen, but the FOV is very narrow making it difficult to fix on a small subject such as a bird, and also extremely difficult to hold steady. Also, it does not focus very close at all. Consequently, it has rested in a drawer far, far more than in my camera bag where I though to carry it, and been used far, far less frequently than any of the multiple pairs of binoculars I've owned since. Many decades have passed since I purchased my Zeiss 8X20 monocular, so the design may have changed profoundly and the one that digitalis has may be far better. It would not take much to make an improvement over mine.

To select from the recommendations I made earlier the two that I think are most important:
1) go to a merchant where you can try multiple different binoculars and try as many as possible. From the responses here, it is self-evident that each person has different tastes in magnification, weight, FOV, design, close-focus, exit pupil size, PRICE*, "feel," etc. etc.
2) the one design parameter I find most important is FOV. 8X binos, a very ubiquitous magnification, can have a FOV @ 1000' of anything from 320' to over 400'. "Ultrawide" binos, unfortunately, commonly introduce a lot of edge-of-field distortion.

*The least expensive binos I've found satisfactory cost under $100, the best about $900. I've looked through $2000 Swarovski and they are really fine, but to me not worth more than double what I paid for my expensive Nikon ED binos.
08-30-2015, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Many decades have passed since I purchased my Zeiss 8X20 monocular, so the design may have changed profoundly and the one that digitalis has may be far better. It would not take much to make an improvement over mine
Being a bit of a Leicaphile myself, I compared the Zeiss 8X20BT*P* and the Leica 8X20 Monovid side-by side in the store. Optically both were excellent with equally bright views but in terms of optical quality there was a slight advantage to Zeiss. However, the FOV was even narrower on the Leica when compared to the Zeiss*, Also the Leica monocular is internally focusing, nitrogen filled monocular** and has a price tag that was twice that of the Zeiss monocular, and the focus dial on the Leica Monovid is near the front of the barrel, not at the eyepiece like the Zeiss, which is more accessible. I prefer to hold the body of the monocular in the palm of my hand and turn the focus dial with my thumb. Also the Leica monovid does not have an eyecup - which is a perplexing design blooper. How can anyone enjoy the Leica optics they paid for when their view is obscured by glare?

*Though to be fair the the Leica Monovid did focus closer, but you had to turn the focusing dial through several rotations to get there. There is also no visual, or tactile indicator of which direction you need to turn the dial to focus - the Zeiss had this, which is very useful.
**which is a pair of features that are complete overkill for a monocular.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-30-2015 at 05:12 AM.