Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #31
mee
Pentaxian

JJC ET-74 clone Tulip hood arrived today. Sadly it is getting late and is stormy today.. so no testing vignetting outside.

I will say it is the same size as the real Canon ET-74 just with tulip cutouts. And it also fits BETTER on the bayonet of the 50-135mm than the Canon .. snugger but not too tight. If I can find a method of making it click into place that would be icing on the cake.

Will report back on a sunny day (maybe Friday) about performance outside.

09-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
By the way - the hood that I prescribed in the original post locks in place for the 50-135.
09-09-2015, 05:52 PM   #33
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zbrueningsen Quote
By the way - the hood that I prescribed in the original post locks in place for the 50-135.
If it is modeled accurately to the ET-74 it is supposed to be modeling, then I don't see how.

That is also the issue with this JJC hood.. it doesn't click into place and thus is not oriented 100%. This appears to be due to the length of the grooves. I looked at two pentax lenses and OEM hoods (55-300 WR and DA* 16-50) and they have the same design.. counter grooves with flat edges.. once it hits the end of the groove, it catches the flat, counter groove edge and thus you get that click into place.

The Canon hoods don't appear to be structured in the same manner. Well.. It is a similar concept but they use these fat 'humps' in between where the grooves end instead of a gap and then a flat edge as seen on the Pentaxes.

I will try to measure them and see if they can be shaved down.. fun arts and crafts project.

---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 08:04 PM ----------

Actually, from the promo shot on Amazon, the Movo hood might not actually be modeled in the Canon manner.. zbrueningsen, would you be willing to take a photo of the mount end of your ET-74 clone and share here please? I'd like to see a more detailed image of the locking mechanism (the spot where the grooves reverse edges).
09-09-2015, 06:23 PM   #34
mee
Pentaxian

Here is the issue in a photo... I have purposely set the hood outside of the groove to show the issue.

The red arrow points to the end of the groove on the lens itself. The green arrow shows the location of the edge of the lens hood groove if it were to be in proper orientation. As you can see it is wayyyyy off. The motion to lock the hood onto the lens (from the image's point of view is counter-clockwise.. so we would have to go much further past the actual stopping point on the hood to get it to orientate correctly on the lens.

You can get away with it with a tube type hood.. but on the tulips, they HAVE to be orientated correctly. Not sure there is anything possible to make this particular hood to function.

---------- Post added 09-09-15 at 08:39 PM ----------

I'm pondering cutting out the humps and fashioning new ones where I want them. then i could actually build the edge properly too. Just a thought at the moment..

Attached Images

09-09-2015, 06:49 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I will try to tomorrow.
09-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #36
mee
Pentaxian

Sunny skies today.. so off I go to test the new hood.. it performs better than the Canon deal.. but I must also point out the tulip version is not sitting correctly (see photo above) and thus the vignetting 'fingerprint' is likely not correct.

That said.. here is what I have currently..

without
with Canon
with JJC tulip

---------- Post added 09-10-15 at 05:46 PM ----------

Once/IF I get the bayonet lengths sorted properly, I'll re-examine it..
Attached Images

09-11-2015, 03:02 PM   #37
Veteran Member

That's not bad vignetting.Probably easy to fix it in post.

09-11-2015, 03:14 PM   #38
mee
Pentaxian

No its not terrible.. but it is. And therefore it needs to go!

---------- Post added 09-11-15 at 05:47 PM ----------

Ok I have now resolved the issue with the hood being cocked slightly to the right. Now it sits straight as it should.. it even clicks into place now!

The humps had nothing to do with it. the middle groove edge on the lens was simply hitting the outer edge of the groove on the hood. I used a hobby knife and whittled that outter edge on the hood back a bit in 2 places and voila.

I learned, in the process, that the humps are removable parts. there is a pressure clip thingy on each side inside of the hood.. push that down and then the clips will fall out (the clips have the humps on them). I removed those both and noticed the hood still wasn't fitting any better (just a bit more loosely!) and that is what lead me to noticing it was hitting the outer groove on the hood. I put the humps back in place.. it now is nicely snug and clicks into place.

I still vignettes slightly though haha.. so I will ponder taking a sander or something to the front later.. this plastic it is made of is very flimsy so care will need to be taken.

---------- Post added 09-11-15 at 05:49 PM ----------

Thanks to zbrueningsen though for directing me to these type of hoods.. saved me some money!
09-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
[/COLOR]Thanks to zbrueningsen though for directing me to these type of hoods.. saved me some money!
Which specific hood is it that you like now? The JJC?
09-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #40
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Which specific hood is it that you like now? The JJC?
Yes, the JJC tulip after modification to it's bayonet ring. As I mentioned in a post above, I will still need to shave off a small portion from the front of the hood to remove the vignetting 100% but as it is, the vignetting is quite minor.
09-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes, the JJC tulip after modification to it's bayonet ring. As I mentioned in a post above, I will still need to shave off a small portion from the front of the hood to remove the vignetting 100% but as it is, the vignetting is quite minor.
Any chance you could post photos of the mod?
09-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #42
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Any chance you could post photos of the mod?
Certainly.. a hack job for sure... I just chopped off a chunk of each groove on each side to roughly the same amount slowly (until I got the hood to mount where I wanted it).

Please note on the left side of the image, I actually chopped through the retainer at one point due to the softness of the plastic.. so be very very careful. That said, this damage has NOT caused issue to the rigidity of how tight the hood fits as the hump things keep pressure around the ring.

---------- Post added 09-12-15 at 10:34 AM ----------

Btw if you are wondering about orientation, the white, JJC label is located roughly between the green arrow on the left and the silver hub in the background. That is centered on top when mounted on the camera lens.
Attached Images

09-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #43
mee
Pentaxian

Hope it was useful...
09-20-2015, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #44
mee
Pentaxian

No responses so apparently it wasn't... for those lurking I have resolved the slight vignetting by having serveral millimeters of the front (both top and bottom) of the hood shaved off (miter saw, sure a dremel would have worked just as well) and then sanded down the edges. Works very well.. much better than spending 45 dollars on OEM!
09-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK - here's my solution. I have a 50-135 and a 60-250 but only one original hood. I swapped it back and forth for a long time but when my dad borrowed the 50-135 I sent him with a rubber hood which he wasn't thrilled with. So I bought a metal "67mm telephoto hood" with integrated 72mm lens cap. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251810714951?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The hood is slightly narrower - in fact it can fit inside the original hood but can't pass through it due to the bayonet mount bits on the lens side of the original hood. It is just a small bit shorter than the shortest points on the flower hood - which with the narrower diameter seems about right to cover 50mm.

It takes up a lot less room in the bag - slightly longer when mounted but significantly narrower. The cap is nice but a standard 67mm pinch cap would be easier to use - finding the press tabs on this one is hard since it fits so well.

I see no evidence of vignetting. I don't doubt this hood is not quite as strong of a protection from off axis light. The flower shape adds additional protection on the top and bottom that this round hood cannot provide. However I imagine that side protection is very similar and overall performance is close.

Here are two sky shots. Sorry they aren't more uniform - the clouds didn't cooperate today:

Can you tell which is which? The flickr description gives it away.

Here's the small metal hood nested inside the big plastic one:

Here they are compared:

Length - marked with the red band on the first spot light can go through - the short lobe:
[

Length - the red band is lined up with the end of the hood (not the cap which was removed):

Last edited by UncleVanya; 09-23-2015 at 12:58 PM.