Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

"Vintage" Camera Bag Recommendations?

I'm hoping to find a camera bag that I can use as a day to day work bag. I'm looking for a vintage-style messenger bag that can carry my iPad/small laptop, mirrorless camera + couple of lenses (maybe a flash), my wallet, cell phone, and other small miscellaneous items. I already have a large Tenba messenger bag and a large Lowepro backpack that I can use when I need to carry a lot of equipment, but they are too big for day to day use (I'm a school teacher, so I don't need too many things on a day to day basis). I would prefer something with a removable insert. A vintage leather or vintage canvas bag would be ideal. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

08-30-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

Maybe something like the Domke small or medium courier bag

Domke F-831 Small Photo Courier Bag 701-01A B&H Photo Video
Domke F-832 Medium Photo Courier Bag 701-02A B&H Photo Video

Last edited by Not a Number; 08-30-2015 at 06:51 PM.
08-30-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I carry a Land's End canvas messenger bag with a padded insert.. Room enough for my K-50, several lenses, my tablet, etc....
08-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The Domke's look like great bags, but to be honest, I've never seen one in person. Do camera shops generally carry them? Closest city to me with a camera shop is San Diego.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I carry a Land's End canvas messenger bag with a padded insert.. Room enough for my K-50, several lenses, my tablet, etc....
Land's End makes some nice stuff. Do you have a link to the one you have?

08-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got a canvas messenger bag at the local surplus/survival store (rothko I think was the brand) and then bought a padded camera insert on amazon.
08-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #6

I have been using the ONA Brixton for about 3 years now, I have taken it on several vacations and use it on a daily basis. Price is high but so it the quality, its a fantastic bag.

ONA Brixton Camera / Messenger Bag
08-30-2015, 07:12 PM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

oops - took a look at my bag.. it's an L.L.Bean bag...

let me see if they still carry it....

---------- Post added 08-30-15 at 07:18 PM ----------

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/235524255485249726/

that's a picture of it, but I don't find it at L.L. Bean's site any
longer

08-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
The Domke's look like great bags, but to be honest, I've never seen one in person. Do camera shops generally carry them? Closest city to me with a camera shop is San Diego.
The big camera stores (are there any others these days) in LA carry them. But google and yelp search on stores in San Diego came up empty. Domke was the only bag that Herb Keppler would use and endorse.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Keppler
The Wit and Wisdom of Herbert Keppler | Popular Photography
08-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AbeFroman Quote
I have been using the ONA Brixton for about 3 years now, I have taken it on several vacations and use it on a daily basis. Price is high but so it the quality, its a fantastic bag.

ONA Brixton Camera / Messenger Bag
That is beautiful, but unfortunately out of my price range... But beautiful.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
oops - took a look at my bag.. it's an L.L.Bean bag...

let me see if they still carry it....

---------- Post added 08-30-15 at 07:18 PM ----------

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/235524255485249726/

that's a picture of it, but I don't find it at L.L. Bean's site any
longer
That is also a nice looking bag. Will definitely be patient as I'm on the lookout for something like that.
08-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like the bags from Fossil and maybe you will be able to find something there. They do have also outlet stores throughout USA/Canada where you can find those bags much cheaper.
08-30-2015, 10:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never had a vintage nor fashionable bag. I've only had ugly nylon bags and Domke bags. The Domke bags are, IMO are utilitarian in their design and aesthetic. They are really well made and strong. I'd recommend them for those reasons. If I was gonna go the vintage/fashion route I'd probably go with a Billingham bag.

Billingham Bags | Home
08-31-2015, 03:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I'm a teacher and I have a Lowepro Compuday 150. It's an everyday work messenger bag with all the pockets and dividers I need plus a clever side padded zip up pocket which is perfect for my Olympus EM-5. It'll also fit a K5 and a ltd prime. It means I always have a good camera with me.
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2011/06/23/review-of-the-lowepro-compuday-15.../#.VeQk8IoViUk
They're discontinued now but you can still get them, and at bargain prices. I love mine so much I bought a second which is stored away for when the first one dies. But there's no sign of that yet.
I also have a Domke F 832 which is fantastic for travel but too big for day to day work. There's also no pockets for storage of knickknacks.
08-31-2015, 04:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Here is a website that lets you compare several bags by type and by size. The link below is for shoulder/messenger bags that hold a 15" laptop. You can change the size of the laptop by clicking on the Size Drop Down Menu.

15in Laptop or less - Cambags

Tim
08-31-2015, 02:50 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On sale. Under $50

Here is a vintage, canvas waterproof bag with a removable shockproof insert, front iPad pocket and secure inner pockets for your phone, wallet etc. Under $50. I've had it flagged on Amazon for a while, because if I needed another camera bag that would be the one that I would get. But I don't. Check it out. Sounds like just what you are looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GYL9KK0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&...REFRKYHM&psc=1