Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,909
It is an extension tube. Same as these:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Macro-Extension-Cameras-Close-ups/dp/B003Y5T4...ension+tube%27

Amazon.com : Neewer Macro Extension 3 Ring Tube for Pentax K/PK Camera Lens K-x K-7 K2000 K200D K-m : Camera & Photo

09-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,905
It is likely two things. The extension tube PLUS a reversing ring. Remember that once he removed the top part it went from being a K to threaded to being a K to K plus a K to threaded part. The K to threaded part appears to be a reversing ring which makes sense - someone had a reversed lens on the front of their extension tube.
09-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,909
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It is likely two things. The extension tube PLUS a reversing ring. Remember that once he removed the top part it went from being a K to threaded to being a K to K plus a K to threaded part. The K to threaded part appears to be a reversing ring which makes sense - someone had a reversed lens on the front of their extension tube.
No, it's just a cheap tube. They make them that way so they can put different mounts on them and so each part doesn't need the mount, whereas better sets you can grab any of the tubes in the set and they will just work. But with these you choose your size and screw the front and back mounts on the tube (or front and back directly together for the shortest option). The threads will not fit any filter ring I assure you, I've got one right here.
09-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,905
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
No, it's just a cheap tube. They make them that way so they can put different mounts on them and so each part doesn't need the mount, whereas better sets you can grab any of the tubes in the set and they will just work. But with these you choose your size and screw the front and back mounts on the tube (or front and back directly together for the shortest option). The threads will not fit any filter ring I assure you, I've got one right here.
Have a look again. He has three k mounts in the last picture. Not two. I know how the cheap Extension tubes work typically you have one male and one female k and some threaded tubes that go between them. This appears to be that plus something else or more than one of those.

Originally the way it looked was MaleK ----tube---silver release knob/seam---Threads Then he realized he could separate it at the release knob and then had: MaleK--tube---Female K; plus MaleK---Threads. The MaleK -- Threads could be a duplicate of the male end of the first tube - without calipers and some things to look at closer I can't tell. But it could also easily be a reversing ring.

09-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #20
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,909
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Have a look again. He has three k mounts in the last picture. Not two. I know how the cheap Extension tubes work typically you have one male and one female k and some threaded tubes that go between them. This appears to be that plus something else or more than one of those.

Originally the way it looked was MaleK ----tube---silver release knob/seam---Threads Then he realized he could separate it at the release knob and then had: MaleK--tube---Female K; plus MaleK---Threads. The MaleK -- Threads could be a duplicate of the male end of the first tube - without calipers and some things to look at closer I can't tell. But it could also easily be a reversing ring.
Right, right, I thought you meant the threads on the back of the tube could also be used as reversing ring. If he has an extra part there it is either reverse ring or a screw mount that also fits the tube...
09-02-2015, 12:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member
ntrao's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Photos: Albums
Posts: 384
Original Poster
@UncleVanya, you are absolutely right. I try to reverse mount my kit lens and yes it worked. There are two extension tubes and the third one is a reverse mount adapter, attached to the extension set.
Attached Images
     
09-02-2015, 04:12 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
UncleVanya's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2014
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,905
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Are the threads male or female? They look like male threads in that photo. What is the diameter of the threads? If they are male and 49mm it is a K mount reversing ring.
Here is the person deserving the thanks. This was the first mention of a reversing ring.

---------- Post added 09-02-15 at 07:13 AM ----------

Also of note. If you want to protect the rear element you can find adapters to allow mounting a filter on that end.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, extension, lens, m42, m42 extension, macro, ring, threads, tripod, tube
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Ricoh Japan K mount manual extension tube set 17dew Sold Items 2 01-08-2014 04:43 PM
Extension tube PK mount pixie Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 14 11-07-2013 07:17 AM
m42 Extension Tubes -> K-Mount AND EF? Eulogy Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 04-07-2012 04:48 PM
m42 extension tube question gokenin Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-23-2010 01:54 PM
For Sale - Sold: Asahi Pentax 50mm K Mount extension tube fletcherkane Sold Items 4 11-10-2008 08:15 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:00 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top