Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

It is an extension tube. Same as these:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Macro-Extension-Cameras-Close-ups/dp/B003Y5T4...ension+tube%27

Amazon.com : Neewer Macro Extension 3 Ring Tube for Pentax K/PK Camera Lens K-x K-7 K2000 K200D K-m : Camera & Photo

09-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is likely two things. The extension tube PLUS a reversing ring. Remember that once he removed the top part it went from being a K to threaded to being a K to K plus a K to threaded part. The K to threaded part appears to be a reversing ring which makes sense - someone had a reversed lens on the front of their extension tube.
09-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
It is likely two things. The extension tube PLUS a reversing ring. Remember that once he removed the top part it went from being a K to threaded to being a K to K plus a K to threaded part. The K to threaded part appears to be a reversing ring which makes sense - someone had a reversed lens on the front of their extension tube.
No, it's just a cheap tube. They make them that way so they can put different mounts on them and so each part doesn't need the mount, whereas better sets you can grab any of the tubes in the set and they will just work. But with these you choose your size and screw the front and back mounts on the tube (or front and back directly together for the shortest option). The threads will not fit any filter ring I assure you, I've got one right here.
09-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
No, it's just a cheap tube. They make them that way so they can put different mounts on them and so each part doesn't need the mount, whereas better sets you can grab any of the tubes in the set and they will just work. But with these you choose your size and screw the front and back mounts on the tube (or front and back directly together for the shortest option). The threads will not fit any filter ring I assure you, I've got one right here.
Have a look again. He has three k mounts in the last picture. Not two. I know how the cheap Extension tubes work typically you have one male and one female k and some threaded tubes that go between them. This appears to be that plus something else or more than one of those.

Originally the way it looked was MaleK ----tube---silver release knob/seam---Threads Then he realized he could separate it at the release knob and then had: MaleK--tube---Female K; plus MaleK---Threads. The MaleK -- Threads could be a duplicate of the male end of the first tube - without calipers and some things to look at closer I can't tell. But it could also easily be a reversing ring.

09-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Have a look again. He has three k mounts in the last picture. Not two. I know how the cheap Extension tubes work typically you have one male and one female k and some threaded tubes that go between them. This appears to be that plus something else or more than one of those.

Originally the way it looked was MaleK ----tube---silver release knob/seam---Threads Then he realized he could separate it at the release knob and then had: MaleK--tube---Female K; plus MaleK---Threads. The MaleK -- Threads could be a duplicate of the male end of the first tube - without calipers and some things to look at closer I can't tell. But it could also easily be a reversing ring.
Right, right, I thought you meant the threads on the back of the tube could also be used as reversing ring. If he has an extra part there it is either reverse ring or a screw mount that also fits the tube...
09-02-2015, 12:54 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@UncleVanya, you are absolutely right. I try to reverse mount my kit lens and yes it worked. There are two extension tubes and the third one is a reverse mount adapter, attached to the extension set.
Attached Images

09-02-2015, 04:12 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Are the threads male or female? They look like male threads in that photo. What is the diameter of the threads? If they are male and 49mm it is a K mount reversing ring.
Here is the person deserving the thanks. This was the first mention of a reversing ring.

---------- Post added 09-02-15 at 07:13 AM ----------

Also of note. If you want to protect the rear element you can find adapters to allow mounting a filter on that end.