Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gossen sixty colour meter

Just wondering if anyone owns one and is it worthwhile to buy. Are the colour temperature reading fairly accurate?

Thanks

Randy

09-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I used to have a Gossen Sixticolor and I still have the Gossen Luna-Color attachment for my Luna Pro system. Both of these are two color meters (red/blue) as opposed to 3 color and they are both Daylight/Tungsten only, no fluorescent lighting. I used to use them when I shot a lot of transparency film and needed to get the right filters to get the correct color balance, but I have not used either since going to digital. If I remember correctly, and it's been quite a few years, the Sixticolor was very accurate in it's color temperature readings, and if you still shoot transparency film I'd say it was worth it. If I was going to get one now I would try to find an old Minolta or one of the newer model Gossen ones that were 3 color (wanted one back in the day, just too darned expensive....and they may still be, I don't know). I just don't think they are nearly as useful or necessary in the days of digital cameras and darkrooms. Just my 2 cents.

Steve
09-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I used the Gossen Sixticolor for maybe 2 decades before switching to digital. It is reliable and as accurate as need be for color correction via filters--for unscientific applications like general color slide material. I used the mired system and mostly Kodak (later sold by Tiffen I believe) gelatin filter material.

I cannot say (in a very scientific way) how accurate it is--it generally gave readings consistent with the lighting (I am sure I checked it vs. Tunsgten lights) and I cannot check it more now, as as I lent it out and got it back broken. But my engineering sense is it was likely accurate to about +/- 200K.

It is not very sensitive--you are monitoring the incident light--but under conditions where it is generally useful--it was adequate. It also is a very neat/attractive product, and the cost (used today) is quite low--as opposed to a 3 (internal) filter system like Minolta that is much more costly.

Frankly it is a very nice device to use and I think anyone even thinking it may be useful should actually get it. The process (that one is actually controlling it!) is quite meaningful.

Last edited by dms; 09-02-2015 at 06:04 PM.