Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2015, 04:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

That hasn't helped me with my gear lust issues. >"<

09-05-2015, 04:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for sharing. It looks great. Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind my asking, about how much would my spouse need to save up between now and Christmas?
09-05-2015, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Bogen by Manfrotto Nord. Your setup looks like a really sturdy and versatile tool. I also have the 150-500 and have it on my K-5IIS. Those are very informative images of how you use your Wimberley attachment.
09-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Billk Quote
That hasn't helped me with my gear lust issues. >"<
I was going to put a warning at the top of my post: "WARNING! Severe LBA may be triggered by this post. Read at your own risk."

---------- Post added 09-05-15 at 09:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mwilky55 Quote
Thanks for sharing. It looks great. Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind my asking, about how much would my spouse need to save up between now and Christmas?
The price is the same pretty much everywhere ($595).

I assume Wimberley controls that. I've watched it for several years and no one ever seems to have it at a "sale" price.

Here's the link for your spouse. That's about $200 a month in time for Christmas.

Wimberley 200 | B&H Photo Video

It's a chunk of change, no getting around it. But, unlike some other things I have bought, this feels solid and immensely useful. For me, the decrease in frustration and ability to broaden my skills will be worth the extra work I had to do to afford it.

09-06-2015, 04:48 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I have a Bogen by Manfrotto Nord. Your setup looks like a really sturdy and versatile tool. I also have the 150-500 and have it on my K-5IIS. Those are very informative images of how you use your Wimberley attachment.
Thank you.
09-07-2015, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Congrats ! thanks for the nice pictures Wimberleys are like a well kept secret. One thing about ball-heads is that not only do you have to get one that will hold twice as much as stated in the Specs, its not that easy setting your camera in the vertical position with them. Pan heads are even more awkward. I remember my struggles when I was shooting wild life.
09-07-2015, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

o

QuoteOriginally posted by Kath Quote
Thank you.
You're welcome. Nice portrayal of a product Kath. That is something I was not very familiar with.

09-09-2015, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Isn't that a handsome bit of equipment!
09-09-2015, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice piece of gear. Thanks for sharing.
09-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been drooling over one of these since I bought my Sigma 50-500. I admit using a ball head is a bit cumbersome but I have a heavy duty one that works pretty well. I often wonder how easily these are to transport. I hike around and move quite a bit. I always thought these were more for setting up and staYing in one spot. Your pictures really show the true beauty of this wonderful device.
09-27-2015, 08:09 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@scorpio71gr - your wonderings about transport are, IMHO, well-founded. With the weight that already attends a long lens and accompanying sturdy tripod, the Wimberley will add just over 3 pounds to the mix. Though it may not seem like much, my tripod is already heavy, so the total package isn't something I want weighing down my shoulder on a hike. Others may be more willing - or stronger. I have a lighter/less sturdy setup for hiking around that works well enough as a tradeoff.

I do think the Wimberley excels where you can set up and stay, as you suggest, or moving within a short range. I had two needs that the Wimberley met: 1) stability (I was tired of constantly messing with the ballhead and finding my composition altered) and 2) moving wildlife/birds in flight. I found ballheads particularly frustrating for BIF and the Wimberley has totally nailed that.

I'll be taking it out tonight to experiment with eclipse shots and, though I'm not as confident of my own abilities in nightsky photography (new to me), I know the Wimberley will give me a rock solid platform to work from.
10-03-2015, 12:52 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Addendum

Thought some folks reading this might enjoy a link to the Wimberley catalogue:

http://www.tripodhead.com/WimberleyProductCatalogue.pdf

BTW, for those who are concerned about weight or want to spend less up front, you can purchase the Sidemount version and consider adding the swing arm later. The Sidemount is the same mechanism as the full version, minus the swing arm.

Additional Note: After spending a full month with the Wimberley, I can say that my enthusiasm for it has only increased. I've used it several times for night photography and once for birds in flight. It performed flawlessly and made everything easier. I now leave it attached to my heavier tripod and grab for it whenever the mood strikes. I've added a camera mounting plate (that I keep attached to my L-plate) to pop on a camera with short lenses when desired.

I'd also like to report that I've emailed Wimberley twice for help in planning unusual configurations and gotten a quick personal response (i.e., a phone call back immediately) both times, problem solved.
10-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm a long-time Wimberley Sidekick user, and would also like to add a recommendation for the company. I originally bought from them for a number of reasons:

1. For US residents, they offer a 60 day free test drive if requested. They hold your CC info, and don't charge against it for 60 days from ship date. After this, once the charge is applied, you have another 60 days to return the items, no-questions-asked for a full refund (you pay the shipping back though). This means that you could conceivably use a Wimberley for up to 4 months and still return it for a full refund if not satisfied. According to them, they have never charged a customer for scratches and dings during either the test drive or return period. They also include a 5 year warranty.

2 Their Customer Service is top notch. I bought my Sidekick about 9 years ago, and there was about zero information on the web about what plates to buy to adequately balance a Sigma or Pentax 300/2.8 lens on a gimbal, and they went to great lengths to research this for me so they could make a recommendation. At the time, there was pretty much only Wimberley and Jobu for gimbals, and Wimberley was easily more willing to help, and that plus the free test drive offer was enough to seal the deal for me.

3. They offered some neat accessories, like a flash bracket, and at that time, an Arca compatible conversion clamp for my Manfrotto 469 Hydrostatic ball head, which came with an RC2 QR.

This is really a first class company to deal with.

As I mentioned, I use a Sidekick. For me, it's all I need as the largest lens I shoot is an FA* 300/2.8 with TC(s) (just under 7 lbs for the lens alone w/hood and plate), and this is in the same weight class as any long glass that's readily available for Pentax shooters. The exceptions, of course are the A*400/2.8, the FA* 600/4, and the FA* 250-600/5.6, which are all considerably heavier at @ 13 lbs, all extremely rare, and all very expensive. The DA 560, DFA 150-450, Sigma EX 500/4.5 and all of the big Sigma zooms are all within the weight range for a Sidekick.

At first, I thought that mounting the gimbal arm on a ballhead was kinda stupid, but have found in almost a decade of use, I actually prefer this arrangement. Using the ballhead as the base, I can tilt the gimbal arm either backward for direct overhead shots, or forward for close to the ground macro work with a big lens like the Sigma 180/3.5 Macro. For my use, this is a much more flexible system. In addition, the arm alone is much lighter at just over 1 lb, cheaper at @ $200-250, and much more compact to pack. Also, I don't need to swap heads if I want to use the ballhead alone -- all I have to do is detach the gimbal arm and stick it in a pocket, then mount the always present Arca compatible plate on my camera bodies to the ballhead and I'm ready to shoot.

Of course, you need a good quality ballhead with an Arca compatible clamp, with a smooth panning base to make the Sidekick a reasonable alternative, but heads with these qualities are much more common and affordable than they were 10 years ago. I commonly use my Sidekick mounted on a Vanguard ABH 120K, which is an ultra lightweight travel ballhead (but a very good one, BTW), and this works fine if I want to travel light. More often, I use my Manfrotto 469 Hydrostatic, which is much heavier duty, but still lightweight at @ 1 lb. The only real downside is that it's a side mount gimbal, and with heavy lenses, it's a bit harder to mount the lens/camera than on a bottom mount system.

I liked the way this system worked enough to also buy a Jobu Micro Gimbal Ballhead adapter if I want to go even lighter weight and easier packing. This serves me well for my adapted lens with Q super tele work as well as use with my DSLRs. It's not quite as good with the big glass because there is no additional offset, so the setup is a bit less stable because the weight is most likely to be off-center in relation to the tripod legs, but this is easy enough to adapt to (and they offer an offset adapter if you really need it). This guy only costs $125 (got mine on a closeout at less than $100). Jobu is also a quality company to deal with

IMO, Pentax shooters looking for a quality gimbal should at least consider the Sidekick.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to add some comments in favor of this great company. . .and no, I don't work for them. . .

Scott
10-13-2015, 08:13 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can attest to the Sidemount being a great alternative. I went with it due to weight and portability - it's easier to pack for travel. However, I like that I have the option to upgrade if I want to go for a full gimbal head.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
10-14-2015, 04:41 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The side mount has far less potential for vibration as well. Taking mine off (Jobu BWG-2) has given me about two stops lower shutter speed without resorting to mirror up or live view.