Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Remember that if you have a ball head, generally you'll need a taller monopod for vertical images.

09-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a monopod for hiking so when I get tired I can keep shooting. I am not getting any younger these days as asthma does not make things much easier. I have the monopod Support Your Cam With 3LT EVO 2 Magnesium Alloy Monopod. I use it with a Three Legged Thing ball head and I can not extend it all the way when on level ground. I am 5'9" and use a K3 plus a grip. Normally I mount the monopod it to the len's tripod foot so ta king pictures i portrait mode is not an issue. This monopod is extremely solid and doubles as a walking stick when I am tired. I will take a monopod when shooting in low light or on long hikes. Other times I will take my monopod places where tripods are not allowed.

Michael
09-12-2015, 03:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I have a Giottos....Giotto*........ MML 3260B monopod. It extends well enough for me to use. I'm 6'3", should be ok for you at 5'8". It's relatively robust, think it cost me around $ 70 CAD a few years ago.

It also has a nice foam cover near the top, which is good for holding the monopod. It's aluminum which gets cold in the winter and the foam keeps my hand warm during the snowy season.

I would recommend this model monopod..

* Not sure of the name, have seen both used.
09-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
But the important question is: did you have a good time at Udvar-Hazy? It's one of my favorite museums / gear testing grounds, since I can shoot wide, tele, macro, low-light, flash - all in air-conditioned comfort, year-round. And the hotels around Dulles are usually cheap on weekends.
I had a wonderful time. When I was there I had my K20 and you really did need some mechanical support. I have not been back with a K5, which should make it easier.

09-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I had a wonderful time. When I was there I had my K20 and you really did need some mechanical support. I have not been back with a K5, which should make it easier.

My first attempts at shooting U-H with a K100D were a struggle (I may have used the monopod then), both for shutter speed and white balance (daylight coming in the windows, tungsten spotlights, and the lights over the WWI and German WWII planes are... some kind of warm-white fluorescent? My favorite time to visit is around Christmas - they are usually open late on those weekends, and the sun goes down before 5pm, giving about an hour and a half of just spot lights.
09-12-2015, 04:30 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that the camera I had for that trip was my k100d with the 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses. I suspect that would have been quite the challenge thinking back on it. I did get good shots at air and space.