Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2008, 06:23 AM   #1
Ed in GA

Tripod Head, time for a decision

I wonder how many here use the Manfrotto 3265 (Joystick) Head?

Your likes? Disllikes?

If you have it and don't like it, what head would you replace it with?

TIA

Ed

06-20-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Haven't used it. I've got a Benro KS-0 now and like it a lot. It's a relatively standard ballhead, with one of the most important features being that it uses the de facto Arca-Swiss quick release standard. (As opposed to Manfrotto, who can't even standardize quick releases within their own company, as opposed to across multiple manufacturers!)
06-20-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
Forum Member

I've never used that head, I use the 486RC2 Compact Ballhead. It only costs $70 compared to the other heads which can go up to $200+. It works well and carries enough weight for my uses, and it's not that heavy or big. The only problem I have is that like all ballheads it doesn't have a handle so it's hard to carry since I have a heavy tirpod. It's a good head and you should definitley look into it.
06-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
i use two ball heads from amvona(ebay).. both have 3 locking wheels and support 10k, or 22lbs.. both were under 25usd delivered. i'm VERY happy with them.. oh!! they both use the Arca-Swiss plate.. these are a gitzo knockoff.. more info?? pm me

06-20-2008, 07:42 AM   #5
Ed in GA

Well, thanks for the info guys.

But, I guess I need to re-phrase my query.

I already own a bogen/Manfrotto monopod with the 234RC quick release head and want to standardize my own QR so that I don't have to change them, my question is.

Does anyone have/use the 3265? If so, what are your likes and/or dislikes? If you have/had the 8265 and don't like it, what manfrotto QR head would you suggest.

Thanks and sorry for not including enough information in my original query.

All answers/help greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ed

Last edited by Ed in GA; 06-20-2008 at 10:03 AM.
06-20-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
i use two ball heads from amvona(ebay).. both have 3 locking wheels and support 10k, or 22lbs.. both were under 25usd delivered. i'm VERY happy with them.. oh!! they both use the Arca-Swiss plate.. these are a gitzo knockoff.. more info?? pm me
Just as an FYI - The Amvona heads that have Arca mounts are 100% identical as far as I can tell to the Benro/Induro Arca-based ballheads. I believe Benro is the original manufacturer for all three.

Similarly, all of the Amvona Pro tripods appear to be Benros. There may be a quality control difference, I'm not sure. Previous generation Benro tripods were apparently quite flawed but the current "n6" ones (the same as the Amvona Dynatrans?) are pretty nice. Earlier Benro/Induro/Amvona ballheads had some serious design issues, these may have been resolved, as I see mostly positive reviews of all of them nowadays, despite the part number not changing.

To the original poster - Do you know if the 234RC can be converted to a normal 234? An Arca-clamp-on-234 is a very popular combo.
06-20-2008, 09:56 AM   #7

I guess...

that this 8265 is the same unit as 222 in Europe? I have been happily using its elder brother (322 RC2) for some years and very satisfied both on mono (685B IIRC)- and tripod (055WNB). Only thing is that with bigger glass it has a tendency to creep unsless You apply maximum tension to friction. It suits me very well as there is no need to level the tripod and it gives me great freedom in composing while on tripod. Try it out at local shop and see if it fits Your needs.
Best and happy action-gripping, JR

06-20-2008, 10:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reps they are the same. 222 is the manfrotto version the other bogen (same company). I have the Dynatran (Amvona) version which uses the 3157 Manfrotto plate. I use it on my monopod and it's fine for that. I have the same setup as Roy for my Tripods and much prefer those for the tripod. The grip style head is easy to use but I just don't find it quite as solid with a heavier lens. But the range of movement is fine.

So I'm sort of a fence sitter on this one. Good but not great. One issue was that the head was too wide to get it on my Sigma 70-200mm. I had the FA* 80-200mm for awhile and forget using it on that at all for the same reason. Fine on the Bigma since the tripod mount is bigger and further from the camera. The QR release lever couldn't move to get the lens on the head (using the lens tripod collar). So in order to use the grip, I had to mount the lens first and then the body (can you say dust issues in the field) or use the head backwards which is a royal pain either way.
06-20-2008, 11:39 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
Haven't used it. I've got a Benro KS-0 now and like it a lot. It's a relatively standard ballhead, with one of the most important features being that it uses the de facto Arca-Swiss quick release standard. (As opposed to Manfrotto, who can't even standardize quick releases within their own company, as opposed to across multiple manufacturers!)
Manfrotto has at least three different release standards. They are based on the size and type of camera they can handle. My 0168 ball head is designed for up to 4x5 inch cameras, so the plate is not completely hidden by the camera. This is the large hexagonal plate. It still works fine with my 35mm and K10D cameras, and under the M 400/5.6, which it is usually attached to.
06-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi montezuma

Re your comment:

QuoteQuote:
The only problem I have is that like all ballheads it doesn't have a handle so it's hard to carry since I have a heavy tirpod.
Only curious, but what's a tirpod ?

Best regards
Richard
06-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
Well, thanks for the info guys.

But, I guess I need to re-phrase my query.

I already own a bogen/Manfrotto monopod with the 234RC quick release head and want to standardize my own QR so that I don't have to change them, my question is.

Does anyone have/use the 3265? If so, what are your likes and/or dislikes? If you have/had the 8265 and don't like it, what manfrotto QR head would you suggest.

Thanks and sorry for not including enough information in my original query.

All answers/help greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ed
Ed, buy the 322RC2 instead and then just grab an extra mount to put on the end of the grip. That way you can work it both ways. The "joystick" model does not have this flexibility.
06-21-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
Ed in GA

Thanks all for your input.

I went by the local camera store and looked at the the 3265/222 and the 322/RC2.

Being the hard-headed type, I went ahead and ordered the 3265 along with a good tripod on which to mount it.

Worse case will be that I don't like the 3265 and end up with it on the marketplace or e-bay. Best case is that I like it, keep and use it.

Thanks again.

Ed
06-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi montezuma

Re your comment:

Only curious, but what's a tirpod ?

Best regards
Richard

...and why aren't my pictures shrap?
06-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Hi brothereye

QuoteQuote:
..and why aren't my pictures shrap?
Cos my hansd won't stpo shaknig....that's why I knead a tirpod, stewpid.......lol !

Best regards
Richard
06-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brothereye Quote
...and why aren't my pictures shrap?
Some of mine are pretty shrap, but I'm working on getting better.