Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaiowas Quote
A bit offtopic, but as far as i know the Camera exposures a second time in Bulb Mode with closed shutter to have a "Noise Negative" and then to distract it from the real image. So i guess there is still a big plus for using Bulb Mode instead of normal Shutter Speed even if i Bulb less than 30 seconds?
Slow shutter speed NR works in all modes as far as I know. I think it triggers on anything over 1 second but I can't recall the exact details. I do know for sure Bulb mode is not required.

09-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks alot for all the replies! Indeed i didn't need more than 30 Seconds Exposure, because Stars started to draw lines. Simply used 2s Delay Mode.

A bit offtopic, but as far as i know the Camera exposures a second time in Bulb Mode with closed shutter to have a "Noise Negative" and then to distract it from the real image. So i guess there is still a big plus for using Bulb Mode instead of normal Shutter Speed even if i Bulb less than 30 seconds?
Investigate the astrophotography threads here for strategies using or not using the dark frame subtraction. The star guys here are an active and helpful group, definitely not a den of villainy.
09-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #18
Pentaxian

...A bit offtopic, but as far as i know the Camera exposures a second time in Bulb Mode with closed shutter to have a "Noise Negative" and then to distract it from the real image. So i guess there is still a big plus for using Bulb Mode instead of normal Shutter Speed even if i Bulb less than 30 seconds?
There's a menu setting to control whether or not the dark frame is taken. If you only plan to take a few random sky shots, I suggest using it for less noise. Turn it off when you are taking many photos, especially for a time lapse or for stacking later.
09-14-2015, 04:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The OP mentioned that their phone loans the ir port needed.
Loans the ir port???? Perhaps you mean it lacks it.

09-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Loans the ir port???? Perhaps you mean it lacks it.
Whoops. Yes indeed.
09-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The background subtract can be set three ways: 1) Auto (default), 2) On always, and 3)Off. When set to Auto, it may be invoked in any mode where the combination of ISO and shutter time is likely to result in excess noise. I was able to get it to kick in when at 10 seconds and ISO 3200 on the K-3 in multiple modes. Likewise, short exposures in Bulb will not invoke the background subtract when set to Auto.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-14-2015 at 06:22 PM.
10-10-2015, 08:03 PM   #22
eye
Inactive Account

Hi everyone,

currently i am on holidays in the middle of nowhere in Poland, and the Starlight is just beatiful. Unfortunately i dont have any kind of Remote control for long Bulb exposures. So i wanted to know if there is any way to cheese a remote for my Pentax k-5, any kind of trick?

I tried a Samsung App, but it needed some kind of infrared Extra to work. Second thought was to try out a TV-Controller, maybe it's infrared could trigger my cam, but no success. Lastly i got a Mecablitz 58-2 Flash but there i also couldn't find a way to trigger my camera.

If anyone has another idea i would be thankful.

best,
Kaiowas
If you cannot do what you want to with bulb mode, an intervalometer may help. They can be wired, or not. If you want to be able to trigger the camera (or change your programed set of pics) at a big distance, you want one that uses wifi to communicate (not IR or bluetooth).