Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #1

Any way to get my Pentax remote-controlled?

Hi everyone,

currently i am on holidays in the middle of nowhere in Poland, and the Starlight is just beatiful. Unfortunately i dont have any kind of Remote control for long Bulb exposures. So i wanted to know if there is any way to cheese a remote for my Pentax k-5, any kind of trick?

I tried a Samsung App, but it needed some kind of infrared Extra to work. Second thought was to try out a TV-Controller, maybe it's infrared could trigger my cam, but no success. Lastly i got a Mecablitz 58-2 Flash but there i also couldn't find a way to trigger my camera.

If anyone has another idea i would be thankful.

best,
Kaiowas

09-13-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
CDW
Site Supporter

I believe this page may be helpful:

https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/bulb-mode-on-a-k5-38488
09-13-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Some TV remotes do work, you just have to find the right code (a universal remote where you can program it for any TV is helpful) and the right button. And then you'd set the camera for 1st press down and 2nd press up for bulb mode. (You can't "hold" a button with IR remote.)
09-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaiowas Quote
Hi everyone,

currently i am on holidays in the middle of nowhere in Poland, and the Starlight is just beatiful. Unfortunately i dont have any kind of Remote control for long Bulb exposures. So i wanted to know if there is any way to cheese a remote for my Pentax k-5, any kind of trick?

I tried a Samsung App, but it needed some kind of infrared Extra to work. Second thought was to try out a TV-Controller, maybe it's infrared could trigger my cam, but no success. Lastly i got a Mecablitz 58-2 Flash but there i also couldn't find a way to trigger my camera.

If anyone has another idea i would be thankful.

best,
Kaiowas
What phone do you have? Some have ir, some don't.

There are inexpensive ir triggers available, probably at a camera shop.

09-13-2015, 01:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Self timer is insufficient?

Wired cable remotes use a headphone jack plug. My guess is you could rig one with a small switch and headphone cable.
09-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

"DSLR Remote" App for Android...uses the IR blaster on most recent Android phones. Free.

Steve
09-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaiowas Quote
...If anyone has another idea i would be thankful...
Use manual mode. You'll be limited to 30 seconds but anything much longer than that is going to cause the stars to trail, anyway. Set the shutter mode to 2-second delay to prevent vibrations from pressing the button.

If there's a local store selling Canon but not Pentax supplies, note that some Canon wired shutter release cables fit Pentax. Canon uses 2 different jack types and 1 of those is the same as Pentax.

09-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

+1 for DSLR remote. Works with my Android phone and k5lls.
09-13-2015, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Use a hat of something to cover the lens without touching it. Cover the lens, trip the shutter manually, move the hat - letting the light in. Then reverse it when you want to end the exposure - cover the lens with the hat, and trip the shutter again to close the shutter. There is an option in one of the menus to allow you to push the shutter once to open it and again to close it. Pull the camera manual on line and search for the option.

09-13-2015, 03:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Use a hat of something to cover the lens without touching it. Cover the lens, trip the shutter manually, move the hat - letting the light in. Then reverse it when you want to end the exposure - cover the lens with the hat, and trip the shutter again to close the shutter. There is an option in one of the menus to allow you to push the shutter once to open it and again to close it. Pull the camera manual on line and search for the option.

Duh. You win. The rest of us blinded by technology...
09-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer:
There is an option in one of the menus to allow you to push the shutter once to open it and again to close it. Pull the camera manual on line and search for the option.
On my K-3 and K-S2, the 7th option in the C menu is "Bulb mode options". Set that to option 2.
Then use either a hat as suggested above, or the Pentax Infra-red remote control. The latter is inexpensive, weather sealed and works well. But so is the hat I guess
09-13-2015, 06:00 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
+1 for DSLR remote. Works with my Android phone and k5lls.
The OP mentioned that their phone loans the ir port needed.
09-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If it helps -- Pentax uses the same wired remotes that Canon does.

Or you can just program it in interval mode. Have it take a 30 second shot every 45 seconds or something.
09-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #14

Try the Jue Ying Remote Control RC-4, mentioned somewhere in this website as a remote trigger. If you have other makers DSLRs or even some film SLR cameras, you will need only this one.
09-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks alot for all the replies! Indeed i didn't need more than 30 Seconds Exposure, because Stars started to draw lines. Simply used 2s Delay Mode.

A bit offtopic, but as far as i know the Camera exposures a second time in Bulb Mode with closed shutter to have a "Noise Negative" and then to distract it from the real image. So i guess there is still a big plus for using Bulb Mode instead of normal Shutter Speed even if i Bulb less than 30 seconds?