Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2015, 04:51 PM   #1

Bag Needed

I've got four bags around here and none will accommodate the 6x7 and 2-3 lens. Can someone make a suggestion on a shoulder bag that will work. I don't like back packs but ran across some that would work. It seems most of the shoulder bags I've found are for 35mm smaller cameras and lens. Some of the suggestions others recommended I've read about, those bags are no longer available.

09-13-2015, 05:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always recommend Domke bags; IMO they're the best.
The Domke F-6 might work yet is still pretty compact:

Domke F-6 Little Bit Smaller Bag Olive Canvas - 700-60D

If you want something larger Domke has many other models.

Chris
09-13-2015, 05:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
That one looks a tad small for large 6x7 lens. I'll check out the others.

---------- Post added 09-13-15 at 08:58 PM ----------

I
'm wondering if the F-2 may work.

Last edited by ColColt; 09-13-2015 at 06:04 PM.
09-13-2015, 06:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ColColt Quote
I don't like back packs
I am just back from a trip with the RB67 and its wide angle lens.

I took it in a 1980's video camera bag ( upper right)
- remember the days when video cameras were huge? -

However the stitching is coming undone,
so i now need a new medium format bag too!
I would like a bag that can contain the RB67 with prism, plus the standard , and the wide angle, plus the spare back.

Last year I took the 2x3 Graflex in a backpack on the same trip, but that backpack was a bit of a pain in the.. neck... to take off and get the camera out.

The above video bag was a lot easier, as it has a wide padded strap which can be slung across to the opposite shoulder.
It was easy to get the camera out "on the run".

The lower black bag is a Pentax holster which held the passports etc and an M43 milc camera. In retrospect the holster bag and the M43 were not really needed.
I am learning how to estimate exposure without a dslr or a light meter.

To the left is the main case that was checked as baggage with the M43, while the RB67 and the film and the M43 battery were hand carried in the video bag.

Incidentally,
On top of that case is an interesting book acquired on this trip about a project by authors Bate, McGillivray and Nickson, published in 1986.
They published photos from Victoria, Australia.
They recognised the need to collect negatives from private albums, and they archived them in a database,( I think SQL, which is still the mainstream db) and made microfiche copies of the b/w negs.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 

Last edited by wombat2go; 09-13-2015 at 06:24 PM.
09-13-2015, 06:28 PM   #5

Original Poster
I remember the first time I saw a video camera. It was at the 1982 World's Fair. I thought the couple were employees of the local TV station as I saw none before or after the one they had. He had the camera and the wife, or whoever she was, was pushing a small grocery type cart behind him with a battery inside connected to the camera. Must have been Beta or VHS format.
09-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Domke F2 is excellent, an might work for what you want.
For my Pentax 67 kit (body, 4 lenses, prism, ad WLF) I've got an old LowePro Magnum 35. It's not something I'd want to pack around on my shoulder for long, but it's an excellent well made and well padded bag.
09-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I remember too. The problems were that the media was serial, so the poor end user ( not always a voluntary viewer)
had to endure minutes or more of shaky movie usually of no interest and with no punch line.

I was never interested in it, and thought the 35mm print was the way to go.

I remember going on a tour in Spain, and one of the tourists had a heavy military looking thing on his shoulder the whole time.
He was a complete slave to the thing, I suppose it was a costly beast at the time.

09-13-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
I think I may give the F-2 a try and if it doesn't work it will be among friends. I don't need to carry a lot, some film, a few filters and 2-3 lens and maybe a hood or two.

Those VHS cameras when they first came out were around $1800. A former co-worker had one and that's what he paid. Imagine that.
09-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I always recommend Domke bags; IMO they're the best.
The Domke F-6 might work yet is still pretty compact:

Domke F-6 Little Bit Smaller Bag Olive Canvas - 700-60D

Chris
Looks good! Do you have any experience with this waxed canvas in the rain?
I tend to get caught in the rain with my gear quite often (main reason I choose Pentax in the first place, K200 was the cheapest WR camera available at the time) and would not exchanges my good old Crumpler for something less waterproof.
09-14-2015, 12:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The sahara 113F or 115F from naneu will fit the 6x7. They are both very roomy Sahara 115f Shoulder Camera Bag Sahara 113f Shoulder Camera Bag
Other wise the largest bag in the Lowepro nova series should work (I have the old nova5, which is now replaced by the novasport & L or the nova 200, and that does fit the 6x7) Lowepro | Nova Series Camera Bags
09-14-2015, 12:25 PM   #11

Original Poster
Every bag nearly seems to be oriented around 35mm. I know they dominate(including DSLR) but there are other cameras besides those. I wish manufacturers would recognize that. Even the 115f bag shows Nikon equipment and 6x7 lens are much larger
09-14-2015, 10:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try lowepro bagfinder - use hassleblad to get your estimates.
09-15-2015, 12:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Every bag nearly seems to be oriented around 35mm. I know they dominate(including DSLR) but there are other cameras besides those. I wish manufacturers would recognize that. Even the 115f bag shows Nikon equipment and 6x7 lens are much larger

Don't be fooled by what you see in the pictures (actually never be fooled always try them. As some bags will be bigger than what they look like, and some will be smaller). I have seen the F115 and 113, they are big enough to fit the 6x7. Also the lowepro's should be big enough.
But if a backpack would be an option, then naneu also has one which will fit it (as it is designed for video) Adventure K4F Video Camera Backpack
otherwise, f-stop gear has a backpack also for video, so should also fit the 6x7. Brand New 2015 Mountain Series | f-stop
09-15-2015, 02:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I think I may give the F-2 a try and if it doesn't work it will be among friends. I don't need to carry a lot, some film, a few filters and 2-3 lens and maybe a hood or two.

Those VHS cameras when they first came out were around $1800. A former co-worker had one and that's what he paid. Imagine that.

look at the innersize, and you will see that the domke is tiny bit smaller even that the 115F. So if ti fits the domke, it will fit the naneu. Pictures don't always tell the whole story
Cambags
09-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

just remembered, petrol bags should also have something. they make bags for video systems

Petrol Bags - Camera Protection with Hard Wearing Bags and Cases