Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

OMG, y'all, I had a very lengthy response all typed up, but apparently I took too long and it timed out and going "back" on my browser did nothing, so I'm just lost.

Here's the basic gist:

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
would for sure choose it over the one in your cart right now
Why do you say that? I'm comparing the features, too, and I just want to hear your perspective. All input is valid!

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Here's a 3 section Manfrotto tripod that should suit your needs except maybe the compactness
GREAT find! I've since gone on a Manfrotto investigation, but they're all big. Like. Really big. My current tripod is no where near the quality of the Manfrotto, but it's about the same size as the model you linked there, and I'd really like to go for something more compact, that I'll be more likely to have with me.

SOMETHING is going to head my way on Monday. Promise.

10-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #47
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've enjoyed following your thread, as I'm also looking for a new tripod. I do have a very sturdy TeleVue, that I use with one of my astronomy scopes; so it's built! But it's fairly cumbersome, heavy; but am looking for something more easy to carry around. I do already have a Manfrotto 3126 head, and a RedGed RP-3 ball head; but am interested in the suggestions posted here. So thanks for starting this thread!

Last edited by csa; 10-25-2015 at 03:14 PM.
10-25-2015, 11:20 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Why do you say that? I'm comparing the features, too, and I just want to hear your perspective. All input is valid!
Well from the quick comparison I did, the T-025X is significantly lighter, and more compact. The only thing it loses in the trade is an inch or two in max height and the twisty instead of snappy legs, but I don't see those as big deals. Portability (size and weight) is such a big deal... We have to be willing to carry these things... I have one of these (that I love) and it goes with my way more often (always actually) than my big heavy tripod... Ultimately I'd like to have a small, medium, and large tripod to suit my mood and need for the moment... Someday... I do carry my heavy tripod on hikes (with an Op Tech carry strap that helps) but I am feeling it after...
10-25-2015, 11:34 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Well from the quick comparison I did, the T-025X is significantly lighter, and more compact. The only thing it loses in the trade is an inch or two in max height and the twisty instead of snappy legs, but I don't see those as big deals. Portability (size and weight) is such a big deal... We have to be willing to carry these things... I have one of these (that I love) and it goes with my way more often (always actually) than my big heavy tripod... Ultimately I'd like to have a small, medium, and large tripod to suit my mood and need for the moment... Someday... I do carry my heavy tripod on hikes (with an Op Tech carry strap that helps) but I am feeling it after...
Whoa! That little foldable Velcro enhanced tripod is wild! Probably not something that I would want, but... very innovative.

Thank you for your input on the T-025X versus ET-2004. At this moment in time, I'm still leaning towards the ET-2004 (despite the greater weight and compacted size), because of the snappy legs with fewer leg sections, the (numerous) reviews of the T-025X that say it is wobbly, and the higher weight rating of the ET-2004.

My current tripod is 23" folded and weighs 6.5lbs! It's also got broken knobs and the most obnoxious 3-way head you've ever had to adjust PLUS it droops like there's no tomorrow. Trust me. If I could find a rock with a standard tripod screw on it, it would be an improvement over what I have now.

10-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wobbly
Aha... That was my false assumption then (that it was sturdy enough)... It's always a trade off, and that's what I appreciate most about my big beast, that it's really sturdy... And that it goes up to over 70" which is sometimes handy... But it's folded length is 25 inches and weighs 5.3lbs without the head...
10-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have not found the T-025x to be 'wobbly' - reading through the reviews, I suspect some people were using it for the wrong role and/or don't know the weight hook is for. (And the one that complained about vibration due to wind on a Hawaiian volcano - I just have to shake my head). The T-025x is a travel/hiking 'pod and very lightweight. It's easy to make a light tripod heavier, but impossible to make a heavy tripod lighter. That said, if you prefer clip locks and fewer leg segments, go for it. I thought I did, too, but I haven't had any issues with the twist locks - and they are less likely to catch on things when pulling it out of my backpack.

I've shot the moon with a 500mm reflector lens on a 2x teleconverter, and the T-025x seemed stable enough (even though that's kind of a dumb combo). Any softness was due to the glass, not vibration.

Last edited by THoog; 10-25-2015 at 01:06 PM.
10-25-2015, 01:39 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would help to see that moon shot with a heavy tripod and this one side by side especially if the glass was super sharp. It would make it easier to lay the concerns to rest.

Carbon fiber is supposed to ring less and that's a plus on top of the weight saves.

10-25-2015, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, if Heie's experiments with a freakin' laser pointer taped to the top of a camera weren't good enough to demonstrate vibration damping, then nothing I can do will be. I was just trying to show that mine isn't "wobbly" with two pounds of glass hanging off the front of the camera.
10-25-2015, 03:13 PM   #54
Veteran Member

OMG, y'all, I had a very lengthy response all typed up, but apparently I took too long and it timed out and going "back" on my browser did nothing, so I'm just lost.

Here's the basic gist:

GREAT find! I've since gone on a Manfrotto investigation, but they're all big. Like. Really big. My current tripod is no where near the quality of the Manfrotto, but it's about the same size as the model you linked there, and I'd really like to go for something more compact, that I'll be more likely to have with me.

SOMETHING is going to head my way on Monday. Promise.
If you are wanting a compact but sturdy Manfrotto, then look for an MT294A4 with 496RC2 ball head used or NOS, online and in stores. I bought mine because it was compact (17.5 inch leg height minus centre column) and when fully extended (centre column down), it's as tall as my 055 tripod. I think that you can squeeze the MT294A4 into a carry-on luggage if you remove the centre column.

Here's one being auctioned off on eBay right now: Manfrotto 294 Tripod Brand NEW Free Shipping 719821324119 | eBay All you will need to do is to find a suitable ball head for it and you will be set.
10-25-2015, 03:58 PM   #55
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a couple that I'm deciding between, you might be interested in also.

Giottos Pro Series 9354 Aluminum YTL Silk Road Tripod YTL 9354

Manfrotto MT290XTA3US 290 Xtra Aluminum Tripod MT290XTA3US B&H

They are pretty comparable in pricing, weight, etc.
10-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I have not found the T-025x to be 'wobbly'
I guess I didn't realize you owned this one! thanks for the input...

It's easy to make a light tripod heavier, but impossible to make a heavy tripod lighter.
Excellent point.

they are less likely to catch on things when pulling it out of my backpack.
Never thought of that!

I've shot the moon with a 500mm reflector lens on a 2x teleconverter, and the T-025x seemed stable enough (even though that's kind of a dumb combo). Any softness was due to the glass, not vibration.
Gotta admit, that is probably not the best example image. To my eye, it is a very soft image, and it's fine to excuse it with the glass (I 100% believe you!), but for selling me on the tripod, it's not pushing me over the edge...

Well, if Heie's experiments with a freakin' laser pointer taped to the top of a camera weren't good enough
I didn't see that video???

Honestly, though, after all that, maybe the T-025X is the way I should go. If I get it and it's sufficiently sturdy (which I'm sure that it probably will be, Hawaiian volcanoes aside...), I'll never "miss" having a sturdier 'pod, PLUS I will already have in my possession a super light, super compact tripod...
10-26-2015, 05:17 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I don't know how tall you are but for me (5'11") using the Sirui would be a form of torture - it's simply too short.
I'm 6 feet tall and the Sirui T-025X is my main tripod. I have no gripes with the height, and rarely extend the center column.
10-26-2015, 05:42 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This review may seal the deal.

The SIRUI T-025X Travel Tripod — Tools and Toys

Impressive review and good discussion of competing products.

---------- Post added 10-26-15 at 08:45 AM ----------

And this one:

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
10-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
T-025X. Done. Ordered. Should be here Thursday. Woohoo! I will definitely update with how my expectations were fulfilled (or not).
10-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #60
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! Looking forward to your update!