Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #61
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
T-025X. Done. Ordered. Should be here Thursday. Woohoo! I will definitely update with how my expectations were fulfilled (or not).
Like others I am interested in your perspective - most seem to like it. I may have to pull the trigger on it some day and do some comparison shots with a more traditionally beefy aluminum manfrotto.

10-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I'm 6 feet tall and the Sirui T-025X is my main tripod. I have no gripes with the height, and rarely extend the center column.
According to the Forum review of the T-025X tripod, the maximum height w/o centre column extended is 48.6 inch (including the ball head). Let's add 3-4 inch for the DSLR, you have 52-53 inch to the OVF. You are 72 inch tall minus 3-4 inch to your eye which means that you have to bend down/crouch a fair amount to bring yourself eye level with the OVF. This may not present much of a challenge to you but for someone like me with a pinched nerve in my back, such positioning would potentially mean repeated trips to the Chiropractor and that can get very expensive.
10-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
According to the Forum review of the T-025X tripod, the maximum height w/o centre column extended is 48.6 inch (including the ball head). Let's add 3-4 inch for the DSLR, you have 52-53 inch to the OVF. You are 72 inch tall minus 3-4 inch to your eye which means that you have to bend down/crouch a fair amount to bring yourself eye level with the OVF. This may not present much of a challenge to you but for someone like me with a pinched nerve in my back, such positioning would potentially mean repeated trips to the Chiropractor and that can get very expensive.
Can you kneel? They make a great gardening accessory it's a light waterproof foam pad you can put on the ground before you kneel that might help in those situations.
10-26-2015, 02:44 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I'm pretty young and limber, yet. ;-)

10-26-2015, 02:45 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Can you kneel? They make a great gardening accessory it's a light waterproof foam pad you can put on the ground before you kneel that might help in those situations.
I basically have two position when I shoot, standing straight with the tripod set to maximum height or kneeling with my back straight and the tripod contracted down to my eye level. In between those two position, I do not even attempt to shoot. Last time I threw my back out, it cost me 5 trips to the Chiropractor and $250.00.

For low level macro, I can sit on the ground (more or less). Any lower than that, I'd switch to Lumix G2 (now G6) and take advantage of the articulating LCD panel to focus the camera.
10-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #66
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I also cannot bend down to look thru the eyepiece on a short tripod, with a fractured, collapsed disc in my back. Kneeling is absolutely an impossibility also, both knees are bone on bone; hurts to even walk, so I can relate to that poster with the bad back; so I have to have a tall enough tripod to meet my needs.
10-26-2015, 04:22 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Here's a couple that I'm deciding between, you might be interested in also.

Giottos Pro Series 9354 Aluminum YTL Silk Road Tripod YTL 9354

Manfrotto MT290XTA3US 290 Xtra Aluminum Tripod MT290XTA3US B&H

They are pretty comparable in pricing, weight, etc.
This Giotto tripod leg looks pretty interesting. Y shaped centre column to reduce the footprint when folded and it's actually taller than my MT294A4 plus it has the feature of being able to position the centre column horizontally which will be very handy when shooting macro. Please post a review of this tripod should you decide to get this.

10-26-2015, 06:08 PM   #68
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks so much for your input. I certainly will post a review of it, or which ever one I end up getting. Right now, it looks like it will be the Giottos!
10-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It would help to see that moon shot with a heavy tripod and this one side by side especially if the glass was super sharp. It would make it easier to lay the concerns to rest.
How many super sharp 1000mm FF K lenses do you guys have lying around? The only ones I'm aware of cost several grand if you can find one. We've been spoiled by shots done with a Q on a DA* lens (which is a much better way to do this sort of thing).

Gotta admit, that is probably not the best example image. To my eye, it is a very soft image, and it's fine to excuse it with the glass (I 100% believe you!), but for selling me on the tripod, it's not pushing me over the edge...
Yep, soft as (green) cheese, but in context, it's awesome! It's a 500mm bargain lens on an uncoated 2x teleconverter, with no tripod foot so all the weight hangs off the mount - that's a terrible way to make a 1000mm lens. When I tried something similar years ago with my generic tripod - similar to yours - it sagged and bounced so badly that I could barely get the moon to stay in frame when I let go of the lens.

So, getting anything in frame with a badly balanced 1000mm on a small ballhead is an achievement. It simply couldn't be done if the tripod was as unstable as those reviews made it out to be. Well, it could, if you put a lot of time and effort into it, which I wasn't going to do because I knew the setup was dumb. And it was cold. And I was standing outside my neighbors' windows at night with a camera. I was more interested in what the 20MP sensor would do, and whether I could make up for the crap glass with megapixels and post-processing. (Answer: obviously not.)

Last edited by THoog; 10-27-2015 at 11:34 AM.
10-27-2015, 05:14 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
First, I'm sorry you're hurt.

Not every piece of equipment fits for everyone, of course. For me, using a tripod standing up rarely brings an interesting composition. Often, I also use the LCD when using a tripod. And the Sirui T-025X (and other comparables, like the Travel Angel) are not meant to be the sturdiest or tallest. They're meant to be the easiest to carry with you always.

I have a 62 inches (plus head plus camera) tripod with a high-quality ball head, and I haven't used it once since getting the Sirui 18 months ago. So for me it works.

Can you kneel?
Sort of my point, put differently.
11-01-2015, 05:03 PM - 2 Likes   #71
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
First impressions are pretty good! Feels like a very well-made item.

First of all, I'm REALLY glad I went for the tiniest, lightest one in my budget/range. It is such a relief to carry this little guy around instead of that monster Sunpak. I took it out today to one of my favorite photo spots (the MO State Fairgrounds) and the weight was a non-issue, although I do need an intuitive way to carry it. I used the sleeve it came with, but I bet I could find something better - or just carry it by hand.

The twist lock legs are perfectly OK. I read a review where a person recommended gripping all the twists at once - and that's awesome. I might've figured it out on my own eventually, but I'm glad I approached it with this knowledge first. The twist lock legs and 5 leg sections are not the issues I thought they would be.

The height is very good - with all the legs extended, the top of my K-S2 lands right at my collar bone, which is plenty tall for me.

The ball head feels smooth and strong - although this month I'm playing "Single in November" (via these forums - check it out!) with the Holga lens, so I'm not exactly putting any weight stress on it!

I've only taken it out a couple times in fairly controlled environments, so I can't judge the wobbliness (or non-wobbliness) of it just yet.

I wish the center column was retractable and not fixed, but I'll deal.

The legs were WAAAAY too tight when it arrived, but I adjusted them right away with the included allen key and now they're money...

That's all I can think of for now! Thanks everyone for helping me make the selection - I think I got a winner!

11-01-2015, 05:38 PM   #72
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations! Sounds like you made a great decision for your needs!

although I do need an intuitive way to carry it.
Perhaps something like this?

OP/TECH USA Tripod Strap (Black) 1201012 B&H Photo Video
11-01-2015, 05:43 PM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Perhaps something like this?

OP/TECH USA Tripod Strap (Black) 1201012 B&H Photo Video
Exactly like that! :-) I'm gonna look around at options along these lines...
11-02-2015, 06:32 AM   #74
Pentaxian

although I do need an intuitive way to carry it
When hiking, following Heie's advice I usually use the carabiner and hook it to my belt. Otherwise, it goes on top of my Snoop Messenger bag, in its pouch. I don't like the pouch, by the way, the long ropes make it far too heavy for a lightweight tripod. I know Sunpak makes a 7$ pouch that seems to fit the bill, sold at B&H.

The ball head feels smooth and strong
It is. It sags a tiny bit, visible only when doing macro, apart from that it's impressive for the price.
11-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #75
Veteran Member

T025x is a nice choice. Just bought t2005x and happy with it so far even though it is aluminum. You will need to tell us how the graphite is working for you. Can you attach it to a backpack?