Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2015, 06:39 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
It's pretty nice. It's too big for the legs to close up completely over, though. It's a bit of a pain to precisely adjust with the 60-250 + k3 & grip on it. Actually, it's a bit of a pain to precisely adjust with anything on it, but that goes for every ball head, I suppose. (I'm probably going to end up with a gimbal eventually. Just wincing at spending that much cash and giving up the portability).
I have a Graf Studioball 68mm ball head - that it's a very easy to use head and relatively precise and easy to handle even with large lenses. I used it with the FA* 300 and a 1.7x teleconverter last week and it was able to handle that long heavy lens stack. Remember the FA* 300 has no tripod mount, so this was all weight in front of the tripod socket on the camera. But this is a large ball weighing 3.5lbs, it is far too large for that travel tripod.

09-28-2015, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

I really meant more like "compared to how a gimbal seems to work" rather than "compared to a studio tripod with a ball the size of a tennis ball.
The sirui isn't that hard to adjust. Just a little annoying sometimes. (Part of that would probably be resolved if I screwed the tripod plate on tighter)
09-29-2015, 06:06 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

http://www.amazon.com/Benro-IT15-iTrip15-Aluminum-Travel/dp/B00LL9W354/ref=s...ds=benro+itrip
09-29-2015, 05:20 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Those iTrip legs are pretty good (in a Benro kind of way, meaning a bit stiff to set up, but stable), but the head they bundle with it isn't very good. Better than a Sunpak, but nowhere near even a Sirui C10x head. You have to really crank those cheaper Benros down to get them to stay put with even a lighter load.

That said, under $100 for just the legs is quite a deal, so maybe the head is a good stopgap until you spring for a Sirui or a nice, used Sunwayfoto. Sunwayfoto makes great smaller-ball heads, like their FB-28) I have an older DB-36 and it punches way above its size and weight.

10-23-2015, 03:41 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Revival!

I received a bonus at work, and since the car repair that I prioritized was almost half the price anticipated, I've increased my tripod budget to $250. That leads me to a tripod I cut from my selection earlier:

Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10X Ball Head BSRT025X

Any final thoughts before I put my finger on the trigger?

Thanks for the help along the way!
10-23-2015, 04:05 PM - 1 Like   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

While I tremble at your fyoori if you don't like it, I think you'll like it. The compact size & weight mean you don't have to put a lot of thought into "am I going to need that?", but it's not flimsy. Having wandered around your flickr pages, I think it will suit your shooting style very well.

And always, if I'm wrong, it's Heie's fault.
10-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Revival!

I received a bonus at work, and since the car repair that I prioritized was almost half the price anticipated, I've increased my tripod budget to $250. That leads me to a tripod I cut from my selection earlier:

Sirui T-025X Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10X Ball Head BSRT025X

Any final thoughts before I put my finger on the trigger?

Thanks for the help along the way!
I don't know how tall you are but for me (5'11") using the Sirui would be a form of torture - it's simply too short. I don't think enough consideration is given to the working height of a tripod, instead too much emphasis seem to be on the weight of the tripod but if you don't feel comfortable behind the camera/tripod combo because the tripod is too short you won't be using it much. To be sure, a tripod like the Sirui has a place in many photographer's kit - if you travel a lot by air, a light and compact tripod is a good thing to have but for your main tripod, you should take working height into consideration as well.

10-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is another tripod that I like but have not used. It might be worth a comparison.

3 Legged Thing EVO3 Punks Rick Carbon Fiber Tripod and E3RICK

It is rated for much more weight (44 vs. 13.x) it is slightly taller, and offers the monopod feature you liked when you talked about another tripod earlier. It is heavier, and not as small folded up.
10-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
I don't know how tall you are but for me (5'11") using the Sirui would be a form of torture...
Good thoughts. I'm 5'9". I did consider the height, and it does seem kinda short... BUT the compactness of it attracts me, because of the portability issue.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
This is another tripod that I like but have not used. It might be worth a comparison.
Good eye! I actually looked at that one too, because as you pointed out, reading the lowest-star reviews is a good idea, and I see a lot of folks are not happy with the stability of the Sirui T-025X. The 3 Legged Thing seems right on the money. I just wish there were more reviews for me to read on them... It might be worth it for me, though, to just order it from B&H and send it back if it's awful. :-)

Since B&H won't be checking me out until Monday, anyway, I'm gonna think about it over the weekend and order SOMETHING on Monday, with the idea that if it obviously isn't great I'll send it back...
10-24-2015, 05:47 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Good thoughts. I'm 5'9". I did consider the height, and it does seem kinda short... BUT the compactness of it attracts me, because of the portability issue.

Good eye! I actually looked at that one too, because as you pointed out, reading the lowest-star reviews is a good idea, and I see a lot of folks are not happy with the stability of the Sirui T-025X. The 3 Legged Thing seems right on the money. I just wish there were more reviews for me to read on them... It might be worth it for me, though, to just order it from B&H and send it back if it's awful. :-)

Since B&H won't be checking me out until Monday, anyway, I'm gonna think about it over the weekend and order SOMETHING on Monday, with the idea that if it obviously isn't great I'll send it back...
I am a firm believer that a stable tripod is one that has the least amount of centre column extension. Of course, the centre column is designed to be extended but all of these new travel tripods where the centre column extension makes up up to 40% of the maximum tripod height, is basically a monopod sitting on a tripod. With that in mind, I look for a tripod that will accommodate my height with the centre column collapsed (or as close as possible).

Something along the line of this should suit your needs: Oben AC-1451 4-Section Aluminum Tripod AC-1451/PD-117 B&H Photo

And please do take the claimed load weight with grains of salt - like 5 pounds' worth. I have the Art 028 tripod as seen here: The History of Bogen Imaging by Jon Sienkiewicz | Take Great Pictures Even this is only rated at 12Kg by Manfrotto. A 5 section tripod like the 3 Legged Thing, the skinniest section at the bottom is about as thick as a Bick's ball point pen.
10-24-2015, 06:30 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Generally the weight rating is something less than true, but I'd bet the three legged thing one was stronger than the sirui, also neither of these pics really have a center column of any size. The monopod is made by removing a leg.
10-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am absolutely destroying my Saturday night shopping for tripods. It's pretty delightful.

The more I learn about the features, the more I think I'm able to intelligently consider what I would value.
  • It's got to be a ball head. I'm not effing around with a "three-way-pan" for one more second.
  • The ball head can't drift. Fyoori.
  • I'll be displeased if it's wobbly (but I probably won't be fyoorious).
  • A heavy tripod isn't a deal-breaker, but it should at least be compact.
  • I think I will prefer the "snap" legs instead of the "screw/twist" legs. (I know myself pretty well.)
  • I see tripods out there with ungodly numbers of leg sections - let's keep that to a minimum.
  • Minimum height was brought up as a potential issue, but I don't think it'll matter much to me, especially with the K-S2 (flippy screen).
  • Foot spikes seem like a good idea.
  • I probably don't "need" the monopod feature.

So here's what's sitting in my cart right now.

Sirui ET-2004 Aluminum Tripod with E-20 Ball Head BSRET2004 B&H

Thoughts! Let's have them!
10-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm partial to snap style legs and I think aluminum is fine. I don't know anything about that model directly. I like the manfrotto tripod I have but it is 20 plus years old and still working so that's something.
10-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thoughts! Let's have them!
I have a big heavy honkin' sucker myself and while I am happy enough with it, would really enjoy also having something like that T-025X and would for sure choose it over the one in your cart right now. It just doesn't seem to have enough over the T-025X, but maybe I'm missing something... (My tripod has snap legs and man does it hurt and piss me off when they pinch me hahaha)...
10-24-2015, 09:58 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Here's a 3 section Manfrotto tripod that should suit your needs except maybe the compactness: Manfrotto 294 Aluminum Tripod with 496RC2 QR Ball MK294A3-A0RC2 I have the MT294A4 + 496RC2 ball head, a 4 section tripod that's as compact as the one in your cart (centre column removed) but it has been discontinued although I still see them in the stores.