Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2015, 09:08 AM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two Tamrac backpack bags, and absolutely love them. I don't backpack, but they are so handy to store all my gear to carry in the car to different places. Also keeps my gear clean, while stored at home.

My larger one is the Extreme Series, and holds my 2 bodies; one with a 55-300 lens attached, my 105 macro, and 3 smaller lenses. On the front there's another zippered storage area, and a net on top of that to hold smaller items. The smaller one is great to take one body and a couple of lenses. They are very well built, with nice, heavy zippers.

This is the smaller one I have:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tamrac-5371-Travel-Pack-71-Backpack-Camera-Bag-For-SL...item4aeb458fb4

Last edited by csa; 09-30-2015 at 09:19 AM.
09-30-2015, 09:14 AM   #17
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Or this: Lowepro Orion Daypack 200 The Backpack for Bushwalkers - YouTube

---------- Post added 09-30-15 at 12:07 PM ----------

This review isn't very favorable to the Lowepro Orion AW - I can't really say they are wrong. I do find it awkward to attach and reattach - but it's what I have access to.

Lowepro Orion AW Reviews - PhotographyREVIEW.com
WIll definitely look into the Orion.

---------- Post added 30-09-15 at 10:20 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I have two Tamrac backpack bags, and absolutely love them. I don't backpack, but they are so handy to store all my gear to carry in the car to different places. Also keeps my gear clean, while stored at home.

My larger one is the Extreme Series, and holds my 2 bodies; one with a 55-300 lens attached, my 105 macro, and 3 smaller lenses. On the front there's another zippered storage area, and a net on top of that to hold smaller items. The smaller one is great to take one body and a couple of lenses. They are very well built, with nice, heavy zippers.
Seen to be expensive.
Seem to have discontinued a couple series that looked nice.
I like the corona series look (except for price).
09-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A bit pricy, but I'm tempted to suggest the Think Tank Speed Freak v2.0. It'll fit a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L, so it should fit your lenses in a stack. If that's not large enough, you might want to consider the larger Speed Racer v2.0.

My primary camera bag is a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 v2.0 (discontinued; replaced with the Urban Disguise 60 Classic). It's a really big shoulder bag that holds both of my camera bodies with grips attached and all four of my current lenses, with some space left to spare. For me, though, this is more than a camera bag—it also holds most of my academic supplies (I'm a grad student), except for my laptop and textbooks, which currently go in a separate Osprey backpack (Meridian 22). My camera goes with me every day and I'm used to carrying lots of equipment

—DragonLord
09-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #19
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
A bit pricy, but I'm tempted to suggest the Think Tank Speed Freak v2.0. It'll fit a Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L, so it should fit your lenses in a stack. If that's not large enough, you might want to consider the larger Speed Racer v2.0.

My primary camera bag is a Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 v2.0 (discontinued; replaced with the Urban Disguise 60 Classic). It's a really big shoulder bag that holds both of my camera bodies with grips attached and all four of my current lenses, with some space left to spare. For me, though, this is more than a camera bag—it also holds most of my academic supplies (I'm a grad student), except for my laptop and textbooks, which currently go in a separate Osprey backpack (Meridian 22). My camera goes with me every day and I'm used to carrying lots of equipment

—DragonLord
None of these are sort of my style of bag.
But I like the idea of a camera-laptop bag.
I am more a (poor) Nature/Wildlife photographer.

09-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
The LowePros aren't bad, except for the plastic clips. Three of the bags in the past 18 months have cracked their plastic main clips and I got tired of replacing the clips, at the local luggage repair shop.
I've got several LowePro bags, but I can't visualize any "clips" on them. What is the "plastic main clip"?
09-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #21
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I like the look of the LowePro Whistler bags, if only there was something like that, but a lot cheaper!
09-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
So I need a new camera bag, can anyone help suggest one?
My current one is not that comfortable and a bit small (National Geographic Camera Sling Bag)
Requirements:
  • Backpack (not sling bag) (I would like a waist belt)
  • Fits K-50 with 18-55 (nice if hood can stay on, but can live without) and 50-200
  • Room for 2-3 smaller lenses
  • Tripod attachment
  • Room for other items (light coat, first aid, snacks, water)
  • Relatively cheap

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Tamrac Evolution 6 maybe?
09-30-2015, 10:12 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I wish I had the money for those f-stop bags...
They are pretty much what I exactly need.
The Sukha would be nice for backpacking. Only $300 hrm...

---------- Post added 30-09-15 at 09:49 ----------

Problem with these are they are shoulder bags, not backpacks.
Domke does make backpacks.

http://www.amazon.ca/Domke-702-02S-F-2-Backpack-Sand/dp/B001RNPD2E/ref=sr_1_...ke+camera+bags

They are pricey, but after experience I do believe in that you get what you pay for. I have a LowePro shoulder bag for my Canon equipment. It's ok. I also used to have a Kata backpack.

I found with the backpacks, I have to be careful with ensuring how I place the bag, when I'm getting equipment out of them. I need to remember to zip up the bags, before I lift the bag up, after I've put equipment back into the backpack.

Have had equipment fall out, twice, when I forgot to zip the backpack up. Lucky so far, no damage to fallen equipment. But that's me.

What I've done is gone to standard bags, where even if they're 'open'...stuff doesn't fall out. Again, just me, others probably are more careful and don't have the same issue with backpacks.

---------- Post added 09-30-15 at 12:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
I've got several LowePro bags, but I can't visualize any "clips" on them. What is the "plastic main clip"?

It's the main clip holding the top cover of the bag...to the bottom of the traditional bag. Even in my LowePro backpack, I notice the plastic clips are the same quality . My issue with LowePro is the quality of the plastic clips they use. Other than the plastic clips that seem to break on me, the rest of the LowePro bags are very good. Padding is excellent and other than the clips....the LowePro's stand up pretty well.

Now with one of my LowePros I had a luggage shop put in a heavier duty plastic clip to replace the original. So far so good. It's an older (7 years) Nova 4 AW. I like this bag and would consider seeing if a shoemaker could rig maybe an old fashioned leather strap, if the plastic clip gives way.

What I'm saying is that LowePro makes a generally good product and I would recommend anyone consider them. But the plastic clips may give way as they have with me. If they do you can always get them replaced by a luggage repair shop for around $ 20-25.

Now, I do use my camera equipment and bags , probably moreso than the average guy. So I'm probably giving them more wear, through use.

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-30-2015 at 10:26 AM.
09-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #24
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Tamrac Evolution 6 maybe?
I like the look of it, but the Evolution 9 might be a better size.

---------- Post added 30-09-15 at 11:34 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Domke does make backpacks.

http://www.amazon.ca/Domke-702-02S-F-2-Backpack-Sand/dp/B001RNPD2E/ref=sr_1_...ke+camera+bags

They are pricey, but after experience I do believe in that you get what you pay for. I have a LowePro shoulder bag for my Canon equipment. It's ok. I also used to have a Kata backpack.

I found with the backpacks, I have to be careful with ensuring how I place the bag, when I'm getting equipment out of them. I need to remember to zip up the bags, before I lift the bag up, after I've put equipment back into the backpack.

Have had equipment fall out, twice, when I forgot to zip the backpack up. Lucky so far, no damage to fallen equipment. But that's me.

What I've done is gone to standard bags, where even if they're 'open'...stuff doesn't fall out. Again, just me, others probably are more careful and don't have the same issue with backpacks.

---------- Post added 09-30-15 at 12:17 PM ----------

It's the main clip holding the top cover of the bag...to the bottom of the traditional bag. Even in my LowePro backpack, I notice the plastic clips are the same quality . My issue with LowePro is the quality of the plastic clips they use. Other than the plastic clips that seem to break on me, the rest of the LowePro bags are very good. Padding is excellent and other than the clips....the LowePro's stand up pretty well.

Now with one of my LowePros I had a luggage shop put in a heavier duty plastic clip to replace the original. So far so good. It's an older (7 years) Nova 4 AW. I like this bag and would consider seeing if a shoemaker could rig maybe an old fashioned leather strap, if the plastic clip gives way.

What I'm saying is that LowePro makes a generally good product and I would recommend anyone consider them. But the plastic clips may give way as they have with me. If they do you can always get them replaced by a luggage repair shop for around $ 20-25.

Now, I do use my camera equipment and bags , probably moreso than the average guy. So I'm probably giving them more wear, through use.

Don't really like the look of the Domke bag...
09-30-2015, 10:43 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I need a new camera bag, can anyone help suggest one?
My current one is not that comfortable and a bit small (National Geographic Camera Sling Bag)
Requirements:
  • Backpack (not sling bag) (I would like a waist belt)
  • Fits K-50 with 18-55 (nice if hood can stay on, but can live without) and 50-200
  • Room for 2-3 smaller lenses
  • Tripod attachment
  • Room for other items (light coat, first aid, snacks, water)
  • Relatively cheap

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
what is relatively cheap?
That is for everybody different.
But the Clik Elite Venture 30 0r 35 are very good backpacks. Clik Elite Venture 30 Backpack CE709GR B&H Photo Video Clik Elite Venture 35 Backpack CE710GR B&H Photo Video (I have the 30, and it is a very good one, very comfy)
Also very good The Naneu pro Alpha or Alpha L are very good. Bit heavier thatn the CLiks, but also cheaper. Naneu Military Ops Alpha-L Backpack (Gray) APL007 B&H Photo Naneu Military Ops Alpha Backpack (Gray) APH007 B&H Photo Video (I have the Alpha L. It is a very good and comfy bag, but a bit too bulky for me)

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Shop-by-Brand-Clik-Elite/ci/4/N/4294255798...h=clik%20elite
09-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #26
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
what is relatively cheap?
That is for everybody different.
But the Clik Elite Venture 30 0r 35 are very good backpacks. Clik Elite Venture 30 Backpack CE709GR B&H Photo Video Clik Elite Venture 35 Backpack CE710GR B&H Photo Video (I have the 30, and it is a very good one, very comfy)
Also very good The Naneu pro Alpha or Alpha L are very good. Bit heavier thatn the CLiks, but also cheaper. Naneu Military Ops Alpha-L Backpack (Gray) APL007 B&H Photo Naneu Military Ops Alpha Backpack (Gray) APH007 B&H Photo Video (I have the Alpha L. It is a very good and comfy bag, but a bit too bulky for me)

Clik Elite | B&H Photo Video
The Click Elite and Naneu bags look nice.
Just what I'm looking for the Naneu Alpha-L specifically.

By cheap I don't really know what I mean, and don't know what to expect for how much.
But low as price as possible, preferably under $100.
09-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #27
Pentaxian

yes, 100s of possible answers.
I recently travelled australia with a lowepro flipside sport aw 15L
absolutely loved it.
it's available in two sizes i believe & ticks all your boxes..
09-30-2015, 11:06 AM   #28
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
yes, 100s of possible answers.
I recently travelled australia with a lowepro flipside sport aw 15L
absolutely loved it.
it's available in two sizes i believe & ticks all your boxes..
Flipside sport doesn't really have any extra room.
09-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Flipside sport doesn't really have any extra room.
yes, it does...
you can store a lot in there. It looks deceivingly small. especially the 20L is big & deep.
You can rearrange the paddings so there is place on top.
Quality for your money & sturdy

I bought the 15L as i have also a bigger lowepro transit. Which is an option as well btw..
But it is missing the place for a waterbottle as in the flipside sport series.
hatchback series is also an option :-) really need to try in a shop...
09-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #30
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grispie Quote
yes, it does...
you can store a lot in there. It looks deceivingly small. especially the 20L is big & deep.
You can rearrange the paddings so there is place on top.
Quality for your money & sturdy

I bought the 15L as i have also a bigger lowepro transit. Which is an option as well btw..
But it is missing the place for a waterbottle as in the flipside sport series.
hatchback series is also an option :-) really need to try in a shop...
Misconception from the pictures.
The 20L might work for me...
Water bottle problem - I would use a camelback in a flipside if I had one.
22L Hatchback might also work.
Transit: Like, but no like.