Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Need a new camera bag

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So I need a new camera bag, can anyone help suggest one?
My current one is not that comfortable and a bit small (National Geographic Camera Sling Bag)
Requirements:
  • Backpack (not sling bag) (I would like a waist belt)
  • Fits K-50 with 18-55 (nice if hood can stay on, but can live without) and 50-200
  • Room for 2-3 smaller lenses
  • Tripod attachment
  • Room for other items (light coat, first aid, snacks, water)
  • Relatively cheap

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by bertwert; 09-30-2015 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Added more.
09-30-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I swear I'm goin to start making backpacks. That's the same thing I'm looking for with the addition of it needing to look relatively stylish. All the packs that can hold that much camera gear are specifically for cameras. I also need something with space for extra stuff. But now you're looking at something like an fstop bag for backpacking. I've been using a lowepro sling bag but it's only big enough for my camera+lens and another small lens or a flash. I can get a jacket and some other stuff in there but not enough camera gear. And it gets heavy and uncomfortable. I'll let ya know if I find anything tho.
09-30-2015, 08:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I have two Domke Original F2 bags. Got them this year.

I have 5 LowePro bags I've used for a number of years. I used the LowePro's as dedicated bags for my 4 camera bodies (Pentax and Canon) and one large LowePro as a 'home' lens storage bag.

The LowePros aren't bad, except for the plastic clips. Three of the bags in the past 18 months have cracked their plastic main clips and I got tired of replacing the clips, at the local luggage repair shop.

A buddy who also has a LowePro also has a cracked main clip.

So, although I've kept the LowePros...with non broken plastic clips for light duty, I now carry my 3 Pentax DSLR's and lenses, flash, etc...in the Domke F2 bags.

So far, although it is early yet to make any final judgements, the Domke F2's are excellent. I need to add that the Domke F2 bag has as Domke says military grade metal main clips. I'm no metallurgist , but the metal Domke clips seem strong, to my inexpert eye.

The F2's might be a bit big for you currently, but Domke does make smaller sizes.

Just my experience.
09-30-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are going to get 100 answers with 100 different backpacks so let's get this started

It is on the bulky side but I suggest the Lowepro 250

09-30-2015, 08:42 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can't beat this - I've used it hard and it's in like-new condition.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JD3R7U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00
09-30-2015, 08:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Another dyemention Quote
I swear I'm goin to start making backpacks. That's the same thing I'm looking for with the addition of it needing to look relatively stylish. All the packs that can hold that much camera gear are specifically for cameras. I also need something with space for extra stuff. But now you're looking at something like an fstop bag for backpacking. I've been using a lowepro sling bag but it's only big enough for my camera+lens and another small lens or a flash. I can get a jacket and some other stuff in there but not enough camera gear. And it gets heavy and uncomfortable. I'll let ya know if I find anything tho.
I wish I had the money for those f-stop bags...
They are pretty much what I exactly need.
The Sukha would be nice for backpacking. Only $300 hrm...

---------- Post added 30-09-15 at 09:49 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have two Domke Original F2 bags. Got them this year.

I have 5 LowePro bags I've used for a number of years. I used the LowePro's as dedicated bags for my 4 camera bodies (Pentax and Canon) and one large LowePro as a 'home' lens storage bag.

The LowePros aren't bad, except for the plastic clips. Three of the bags in the past 18 months have cracked their plastic main clips and I got tired of replacing the clips, at the local luggage repair shop.

A buddy who also has a LowePro also has a cracked main clip.

So, although I've kept the LowePros...with non broken plastic clips for light duty, I now carry my 3 Pentax DSLR's and lenses, flash, etc...in the Domke F2 bags.

So far, although it is early yet to make any final judgements, the Domke F2's are excellent. I need to add that the Domke F2 bag has as Domke says military grade metal main clips. I'm no metallurgist , but the metal Domke clips seem strong, to my inexpert eye.

The F2's might be a bit big for you currently, but Domke does make smaller sizes.

Just my experience.
Problem with these are they are shoulder bags, not backpacks.

Last edited by bertwert; 09-30-2015 at 08:57 AM.
09-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
One brand I like in particular is Mindshift Gear. They are not that cheap but have some good solutions and nice materials. I like the rotation/belt system they have...

But as Sergy said, hundreds of replies will follow your question...😜

09-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
You are going to get 100 answers with 100 different backpacks so let's get this started

It is on the bulky side but I suggest the Lowepro 250
Fastpack 250?

It might work.
But a waist belt would be nice.
09-30-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the amazon basics backpack - it's pretty good until you ask for gear other than camera gear to be stored inside. While you can customize the interior I'm not sure how effective it will be. What about getting a good hiking backpack and an insert?
09-30-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fact: There is no such thing as the perfect camera bag. That's why we have so many of them.
09-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw you mention waist belt. Look on Ebay for a Lowepro Orion - there's one there in good shape I saw the other day. It's a giant fanny pack style camera bag with an attachable backpack. I have one and they are pretty neat. The attachable backpack crushes down inside a pouch on the belt bag and then when if you need it you can attach it. Pretty slick honestly. You have to unclip the backpack to rotate the bag to the front which can be awkward, but it does work.
09-30-2015, 08:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexZav Quote
One brand I like in particular is Mindshift Gear. They are not that cheap but have some good solutions and nice materials. I like the rotation/belt system they have...

But as Sergy said, hundreds of replies will follow your question...😜
I really like the rotation180 idea...
But a bit expensive.
09-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I really like the rotation180 idea...
But a bit expensive.
The Orion I mentioned is similar but you have to attach and detach the backpack.
Lowepro Orion AW Belt Pack with Day Pack MFR LP00603 PEF | eBay
09-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have the amazon basics backpack - it's pretty good until you ask for gear other than camera gear to be stored inside. While you can customize the interior I'm not sure how effective it will be. What about getting a good hiking backpack and an insert?
I have thought of that.
My current hiking bag would be nice for that.
But it would also be a sort of day-to-day bag. Unless it had shoulder strap points... hmm

---------- Post added 30-09-15 at 10:03 ----------

I saw you mention waist belt. Look on Ebay for a Lowepro Orion - there's one there in good shape I saw the other day. It's a giant fanny pack style camera bag with an attachable backpack. I have one and they are pretty neat. The attachable backpack crushes down inside a pouch on the belt bag and then when if you need it you can attach it. Pretty slick honestly. You have to unclip the backpack to rotate the bag to the front which can be awkward, but it does work.
Interesting.

---------- Post added 30-09-15 at 10:03 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Fact: There is no such thing as the perfect camera bag. That's why we have so many of them.
Agreed!

---------- Post added 30-09-15 at 10:04 ----------

The Orion I mentioned is similar but you have to attach and detach the backpack.
Lowepro Orion AW Belt Pack with Day Pack MFR LP00603 PEF | eBay
Catching up with replying.
So hadn't seen your post yet.
(And I have to wait 25 seconds between posts.)
09-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Or this:

---------- Post added 09-30-15 at 12:07 PM ----------

This review isn't very favorable to the Lowepro Orion AW - I can't really say they are wrong. I do find it awkward to attach and reattach - but it's what I have access to.

Lowepro Orion AW Reviews - PhotographyREVIEW.com