Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jcdoss's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,125
Pelican cases

Right now, I'm storing my couple dozen or so K- and M- series lenses in a cabinet. We're moving soon and I want to find something a bit more specific for the purpose of lens storage. I'm pretty sold on the idea of a Pelican case, but which one? I've got a bunch of OpTech double rear caps, so I can double a lot of my smaller lenses. I'm thinking I can get most of my stuff to fit in one 1560 case, but I need some help from anyone with experience.

10-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Fenwoodian's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,799
I own 8 Pelican cases. They are wonderful and almost bomb-proof. They are sealed against the elements, just make sure to put a couple of large sized desicants in them with your equpiment.

Who knows how much equipment you have so no way we can comment on what size works best for you. Me, I own three 1560's and find them to be a pretty good universal size.
10-06-2015, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,902
I have one Pelican case which I use for my camera body and lens when I go sea kayaking. The case I have (and I believe this to be true of others) has a foam filling which can be partially removed to fit the shape of what you would be storing. In general, I think you want go bigger than you might be thinking. I suggest you layout all of what you want to store with some space between them and some space around the outside and take some measurements (LxWxH). I did something like this when I sized mine and was glad that I went a bit bigger than I expected as, a little extra room comes in handy. Then go Pelican shopping.
10-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 5,152
They can also be fitted with more traditional spacers -- movable padded walls with velcro edges like in a backpack -- for more adaptable setups (still with foam on top on bottom layers). So just draw a box of the dimensions, or construct a cardboard one to size, and start playing with arranging your stuff in them. And yes, use desiccants -- you'll be locking in moisture as well as keeping it out....

10-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
sergysergy's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,753
My suggestion is buy one size bigger of whatever you need.
10-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 38,183
I use 1510s which is allegedly the largest size you take on board aircraft as hand luggage, but do check with the airline first mind as there's alway one...
10-06-2015, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,007
I use a Pelican 1560 for astrophotography. I went with padded dividers because they are more reconfigurable than foam inserts as I change equipment. Here it is at B&H Pelican 1560SC Studio Case with Padded Dividers, Black 1560-007-110

Pelican makes good travel cases but they are overkill for home storage. You don't need such sturdy construction if the case isn't traveling. The thick sides increase the external dimensions of the case, and all the padding means less internal space.

Consider a clear storage box like http://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/storage-boxes/clear-watertight-totes...C-A11E553420A4. It's around 1/10 the cost of a Pelican case and takes up less shelf space for the same storage volume. The lid has a gasket but not as waterproof as a Pelican so you'll change the desiccant a little more often. I use a large desiccant bag with an indicator that turns pink when it has to be recharged (a few hours in the oven, around twice a year).


10-06-2015, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
WPRESTO's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,702
If you're only storing, get a trunk-style rather than a suitcase-style shape so your lenses will all be upright rather than lying down. I forget the exact reason but a pro advised it was better to store lenses with the lens cap down.

10-06-2015, 03:53 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Kath's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Portland, OR
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 700
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Pelican makes good travel cases but they are overkill for home storage. You don't need such sturdy construction if the case isn't traveling. The thick sides increase the external dimensions of the case, and all the padding means less internal space.

Consider a clear storage box like http://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/storage-boxes/clear-watertight-totes...C-A11E553420A4. It's around 1/10 the cost of a Pelican case and takes up less shelf space for the same storage volume. The lid has a gasket but not as waterproof as a Pelican so you'll change the desiccant a little more often. I use a large desiccant bag with an indicator that turns pink when it has to be recharged (a few hours in the oven, around twice a year)

I agree. This is great advice. Pelicans can't be beat for traveling and shooting in challenging environments, but these totes are great for storage.
10-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 969
QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Right now, I'm storing my couple dozen or so K- and M- series lenses in a cabinet. We're moving soon and I want to find something a bit more specific for the purpose of lens storage. I'm pretty sold on the idea of a Pelican case, but which one? I've got a bunch of OpTech double rear caps, so I can double a lot of my smaller lenses. I'm thinking I can get most of my stuff to fit in one 1560 case, but I need some help from anyone with experience.
I have owned the 1560 with the divider set for over 10 years. It is a keeper and will probably last me many more years. I used it to carry my camera gear for traveling. It has wheels which makes it easy to roll around airports. I also owned a 1650 with foam divider which I used to hold my Alien Bees light set. I travelled with the two case a few times. One time I ended up putting them in the back of a pick up truck while it was raining pretty hard. I had full confidence that my stuff would stay bone dry. Upon arrival on location, I towel dried the outside and as I expected my gear was fully protect inside. They cost a little bit more than soft case alternatives but for ultimate protection in inclement weather, they are worth every penny.
10-25-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian
brewmaster15's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 400
Interesting thread , question for you all on these cases..and plastic bins. What dessicants are you using? Any favorites?...and how do you figure out how much to use. I can't imagine too much would be an issue but too little?

Thanks,
AL
10-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,007
QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Interesting thread , question for you all on these cases..and plastic bins. What dessicants are you using? Any favorites?...and how do you figure out how much to use. I can't imagine too much would be an issue but too little?

Thanks,
AL
I use Rem Dri 35 Desiccant - Gun Care - Gun Storage

I put it in the oven twice a year to recharge it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
lenses, pelican, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Pelican Pete daacon Post Your Photos! 8 11-24-2014 08:25 PM
Nature Pelican Sunrise weldmetal Photo Critique 9 08-24-2014 07:13 PM
Cases? fizzyvimto Pentax Q 10 08-16-2014 04:45 PM
Travel pelican feeding gybp Pentax K-3 Photo Contest 17 06-03-2014 03:58 AM
Nature Four Eyed Pelican Bruce Clark Post Your Photos! 7 01-19-2014 10:45 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:18 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top