Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #1

M* 300mm

Hello all,
I'm shooting at low light and try to keep my ISO down. To do that with a M*300mm I need to put it on a Mono Pod.
I'm looking for a Collar for it to mount on my Mono Pod that Fits, it has to be near perfect. Anyone an Idea?
Thanks!

10-07-2015, 07:17 PM   #2
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Curious how old is this lens?
10-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

if it's this lens:

SMC Pentax-M* 300mm F4 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I'm not sure I would use a tripod collar...
10-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There really is no place to attach a clamp on collar. The lens is so light I would just attach the monopod to the camera. The solid construction of the lens won't be bothered by hanging off the camera, IMHO.

10-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Was introduced in the mid-80s, they made an A* star version too,
Nice little package, but front heavy and no tripod collar on it. I mostly used mine hand-held, outdoors
I find it does not balance well on my digital bodies, but was OK on my film bodies.

With the big, wide, focusing ring, there is not much place to put a collar on it.
You might consider a piece of flat bar stock with a 1/4-20 tapped hole in one end and a smooth hole in the other for a 1/4-20 bolt up into the camera, sized to get the monopod under the center of gravity, needs to be 2 or 3-inches long?
I've seen some brackets for long lenses that may be adaptable.
Some of the other bright folks on this site may have some better ideas.
10-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After some trying, I finally have found a way to get a tripod collar attached. It works, but it is - I have to confess it - the 'better than nothing' way to go.
I had to use this type of collar, as collars normally are to broad to be fixed. I took a model that's a bit too wide, to get some small felt pads between collar and lens. I could have used some kind of small rubber belt or a similiar material instead. I cannot see the numbers on the distance ring any more, but focusing is possible without any problem and tripod usage is enabled.

Better ideas? Very welcome!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
10-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Forest_bear59's approach is similar to mine , and also implemented on the k300/4, but I made my own

The difference is that using the third party mount for the canon 100/2.8 macro requires padding the mount with leather, and on its own does not give a solid grip to the lens, it is still a little free to "wobble" around inside the collar.

My approach was to make a cradle for the lens, but to also link this to the camera's tripod mount

Linking the lens mount to the tripod mount eliminates the wobble, gives the opportunity to attach the tripod mount where you wish it to be for best balance, but at a cost. You can no longer rotate the lens in the mount for vertical format

If you don't' have the fabrication abilities to make a mount like what I have done, but want the stability of linking the camera to the lens collar, you can purchase a piece of flat aluminum stock at almost any DIY store ( I got mine from Home Depot) and cut to the length you need, add any slight bends to get the alignment (vertically) between the lens collar tripod socket and the camera socket, and link the two together. All you need is a short 1/4-20 screw for the camera attachment. You should be able to go through the 2mm aluminum and engage the tripods screw into the lens collar.

It's not perfect but it works
10-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Neither Forest_bear59 or Lowell Goudge are showing the M*300, IMHO.

10-07-2015, 10:31 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Neither Forest_bear59 or Lowell Goudge are showing the M*300, IMHO.
Never claimed to and also noted it was implemented on the K300/4

But the same approach can be done with the M300. It is just you need to deal with a smaller diameter lens barrel

The M300 is only in the big at the front element where as the K300 is pretty big all the way to the aperture ring

If you look closely at mine you will also see I have designed it to also accept the 1.7x AF converter between the lens and camera. The reason for this is at 300mm especially with SR and the high ISO capabilities of the modern DSLR you don't really need a tripod for much, but at 500mm(I.e. With the AF adaptor) it becomes more important.
10-08-2015, 12:45 AM   #10
pid

I have the A*300/4 and with Converter I use a simple String odd chain Tripod. Cheap and effective.
Take a look: The String-Tripod
10-08-2015, 03:22 AM   #11

Original Poster
Hello all,
Thanks for your advice, true, the lens is well balanced on a SLR, I use it on LX and you don't need a support outside. However, I want to shoot it at 1/30 or 1/60 inside, hence my question. I'm using am APS-C camera, a Fujifilm X-E1 for inside classical music (Church). Very small and not well adapted to the lens. I'll just stick with my Nikkor 300 ED-IF w/collar. Brilliant sharpness but less character versus the M*. Thanks all!
10-08-2015, 04:16 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've used a Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support, it's very similar to the support that Lowell Goudge made. I got it several years ago when I purchased a used manual 400mm lens. The seller included it with the lens and it works pretty well with the A*300 so I imagine it would work just as well with the M300. It is adjustable in length so it can be adapted to multiple lenses, the only issue I have with it is the front support is not adjustable in height.
10-08-2015, 05:16 AM   #13
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

Manfrotto 293

there's also this option, which I would have found sooner for myself and my K/300:

Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support Review