Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

SD card for K3

What difference would I experience between these two SD cards in a K3?

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC?SDXC UHS -1

SanDisk Extreme Class 10 UHS-1 Ue SDXC

It's very confusing with the different types of cards available. I wish however to stick with SanDisk.

Which would you recommend?

10-10-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have stuck with the Extreme Pro ones just to be consistent but I think a more accurate measurement is the speed marked on the card rather than the marketing blurb. I have Extreme Pro cards rated at 45mb/s and 95mb/s but they have the same label. My wife uses the Extreme line, (Which keeps us from getting the cards mixed up), and her cards are also rated 45mb/s. I have seen tests that indicate the k-3 maxs out at about 45mb/s or at least there was no significant improvement with cards faster than that.

Anyway, my suggestion is pick one and go with it. I'm sure there is some difference between the Extreme and Extreme Pro but most likely it is not going to make any real world difference for most of us.
10-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What difference would I experience between these two SD cards in a K3?

SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC?SDXC UHS -1

SanDisk Extreme Class 10 UHS-1 Ue SDXC

It's very confusing with the different types of cards available. I wish however to stick with SanDisk.

I have a pair of 95MBps SanDisk Extreme Pro cards and am exchanging emails with SanDisk as with all my computers (Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1) and using different card adaptors (USB2, USB3, built in) I cannot get a read speed of above 18.9MBps or a write speed of above 9.9MBps, so am not convinced these cards will perform as claimed. I have a pair of 45MBps Extreme Pro cards for my K5IIs and these read/write at about the same speed...
10-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #4

I just ordered 2 32gig sandisk 95mb/s ones to improve on the performance on the standard speed ones I have. Apparently (according to a post I read before ordering) if you use regular sd cards in the k3 it takes about 45 seconds to dump the buffer into the card. Where as if you use the 95mb/s one it takes less than 27 seconds. Anything to improve that speed is welcomed by me lol.

10-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob Shepter Quote
I have a pair of 95MBps SanDisk Extreme Pro cards and am exchanging emails with SanDisk as with all my computers (Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1) and using different card adaptors (USB2, USB3, built in) I cannot get a read speed of above 18.9MBps or a write speed of above 9.9MBps, so am not convinced these cards will perform as claimed. I have a pair of 45MBps Extreme Pro cards for my K5IIs and these read/write at about the same speed...
Just like the camera, your computer needs to have powerful enough hardware to be able to leverage the faster speeds.

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
The extreme pro card offers the best performance money can buy, but Extreme cards with write speeds of 45 Mb/s or 60 Mb/s come very close, so any of them will work. Check out our K-3 review for a card performance test.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just like the camera, your computer needs to have powerful enough hardware to be able to leverage the faster speeds.
I am sure you are right but other SDHC cards manage read speeds of over 40MBps and write speeds of over 30MBps, so I think my quad core Intel machines are fast enough for Extreme Pro cards...

Last edited by Rob Shepter; 10-10-2015 at 11:27 PM.
10-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Adam, thanks; I didn't know there was a card performance test for the K3!

10-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just a clarifying question. What is your test method?

Here is a fairly recent test:
Review: SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 32GB SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - Camera Memory Speed Comparison & Performance tests for SD and CF cards
10-10-2015, 12:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am sure you are right but other SDHC cards manage read speeds of over 40MBps and write speeds of over 30MBps, so I think my qiad core Intel machines are fast enough for Extreme Pro cards...
Sandisk Extreme Pro cards have a good reputation and command a relatively high retail price. Which makes them perfect targets for counterfeiters. There have been quite a few stories about fake Sandisk cards floating around. Just FYI.
10-10-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
Inactive Account

go for SDXC 64GB or Mobi Wifi Pro 32GB. I have both at a time in my K-3 Premium Edition
10-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I am sure you are right but other SDHC cards manage read speeds of over 40MBps and write speeds of over 30MBps, so I think my qiad core Intel machines are fast enough for Extreme Pro cards...
There could be lots of possible causes, but your CPU certainly wouldn't be the bottleneck.

In my laptop's case, upgrading the hard drive to an SSD resulted in a huge transfer speed boost with the on-board reader, for instance.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I subscibe to the possible counterfeit card theory.
10-10-2015, 10:00 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-3 came with a Sandisk Extreme rated @ 45Mb/s. I used it for several months and then replaced it with a Sandisk Extreme Pro rated @ 95 Mb/s. The latter clears the buffer noticeably faster and is worth the extra $ in my opinion.
10-11-2015, 12:29 PM   #14

Man, I really hope mine aren't counterfeit. They were way way cheaper than retail stores. Only paid 40 bucks each for 32gigs 90mb/sec ones. Gonna have to put them through the benchmarks when they get here
10-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sysdmg Quote
Man, I really hope mine aren't counterfeit. They were way way cheaper than retail stores. Only paid 40 bucks each for 32gigs 90mb/sec ones. Gonna have to put them through the benchmarks when they get here
If the price was too good to be true, they could be. When did you buy them? The current retail price for those cards is only $29, but a year or two ago that figure would have been much higher.

Adam