Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

O-GPS 1 Unit with K-3 work?

Heard that there are some compatibility issues of O-GPS 1 - GPS unit with K-3. How can I use GPS Unit is that any one here use that module with K-3 ? Also please tell how can use AF360 FZG II along with O-GPS-1 at a time.

Attached Images

10-18-2015, 08:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never heard of any issues at all. Do you have a link to this?

I used the O-GPS unit on my k-3 successfully for over a year.

Also, you cannot use any flash with the k-3 when the O-GPS unit is mounted as it uses the flash hot shoe for attachment. If you need BOTH a flash and GPS functionality then you need to get a k-3II which has the GPS built in and frees up the hot shoe for a flash.
10-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have never heard of any issues at all. Do you have a link to this?

I used the O-GPS unit on my k-3 successfully for over a year.

Also, you cannot use any flash with the k-3 when the O-GPS unit is mounted as it uses the flash hot shoe for attachment. If you need BOTH a flash and GPS functionality then you need to get a k-3II which has the GPS built in and frees up the hot shoe for a flash.
Okay thats great. Can you please tell me adoptors + cable to use both at a time. I want to use with my External AF360II flash.

---------- Post added 10-18-15 at 08:48 AM ----------

?

10-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use to the K3, K50, and K-01 with my gps unit. I know of no way to use a flash with gps unit. I do remember there being an article from awhile ago about using a flash with the gps unit but I don't remember were it is.

10-18-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I use to the K3, K50, and K-01 with my gps unit. I know of no way to use a flash with gps unit. I do remember there being an article from awhile ago about using a flash with the gps unit but I don't remember were it is.
I've already go-through from that article i think. The camera reference in the article was K-5 not K-3.
10-18-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
Resident Bagpiper
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If it was for K-5 it should just the same for your K-3.
10-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It works fine with the K-3. If you want to use a hotshoe flash at the same time as gps, I believe you'd need the K-3 II since the accessory otherwise occupies the hotshoe.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It works fine with the K-3. If you want to use a hoshoe flash at the same time as gps, I believe you'd need the K-3 II since the accessory otherwise occupies the hotshoe.
I've K-3 so please recommended me accessories for K-3 to mount Flash AF360 II.

Thanks

10-18-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're using the GPS, the hotshoe would be occupied. You could try the studio flash cables you linked above, though I've never tested it personally.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

you guys do know that the k-3 has a pc sync socket, right?

Last edited by maltfalc; 10-18-2015 at 10:56 PM.
10-18-2015, 01:34 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
you guys do know that the k-3 has a pc syc socket, right?
And so has the K-5 - but unfortunately the K-5 andK-3 manuals aren't too informative (look for x-sync) about which flashes may be used. There's only a general warning against using high-voltage and/or high-current flashes, but nothing about when 'high' is 'too high'.

Anyway, I haven't been able to find anything about using x-sync flashes and the o-GPS1 together. What some have tried with apparent success is this:

Pentax O-GPS-1

As stated over and again in this article, this is NOT an approach endorsed by Pentax and potential risks are unknown.......
10-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
And so has the K-5 - but unfortunately the K-5 andK-3 manuals aren't too informative (look for x-sync) about which flashes may be used. There's only a general warning against using high-voltage and/or high-current flashes, but nothing about when 'high' is 'too high'.
so what? the same is true for the hot shoe and i don't see that stopping anybody.
10-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maltfalc Quote
you guys do know that the k-3 has a pc syc socket, right?
+1 on this... sometimes I use PC Sync. Socket with radio trigger when I have on camera flash unit but want also some flash triggered somewhere else. Never encounter problems with this. I do not see the reason why it should not work with GPS unit as long as you don't surpass 1/180s sync speed. You just need a guy who has K-3, GPS unit and simple radio trigger to check on this. Unfortunately I do not have GPS unit.
10-19-2015, 07:56 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought the OP wanted to use P-ttl, at least that was my assumption though I could be wrong. I've used the PC Sync port a few times years ago but it is only manual, not P-ttl, I think. Please correct me if that is incorrect.

But if the OP is OK with manual then yes, it should work. A radio trigger with pass through hot shoe connections might also work. My Cactus v5 does not pass through all of the connections so that will not work. Maybe one of the other brands does.