Help me choose a camera bag

New to photography as a hobby and am now in need of a camera bag to take on an
upcoming vacation.

Equipment:
K100D Super
Pentax DA 18-55mm
Tamron 70-300
Pentax FA 50mm

I would like something that is easy on the eyes yet very functional. Most of all, I would like a small bag that is just enough to fit these items with the addition of some spare batteries and cards. Color is not a huge preference, just no wild colors...shades of brown or black would be nice. Don't quite know what most camera bags go for, but I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for one just yet. Thanks for any help!!

06-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

lowepro Rezo 170 AW. should be about 60 bucks..
06-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I have to admit to being a really big Crumpler fan-boy. Not only is their site really funky (Crumpler USA I think), but their bags are good looking, don't look like a camera bag and comfortably hold a whole bucket-load of stuff.

I have the 5 million dollar home (maybe a bit big for you) and carry a couple of 3-4" lenses along with a 5-7" lens (7" pretty much HAS to be off of the body, though). Sometimes I'll have the two shorter lenses and the AF-540 instead of a long lens.

I found when I went on holidays, though, I wanted to take my 50 f/1.4 with me for low light shots... So I bought a small crumpler pouch which attaches nicely to the side of the 5 million home - I have the pouch on during the flight but usually limit myself to three lenses at a time at the destination.

I've also got a crumpler backpack and recently landed a second hand 7 million dollar home to drag a ton-o-lenses (tm) along with a flash or two when doing some people photography.

I will enter voluntary therable for my BBA (bag buying adiction) some time next week.
06-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Try the PENTAX sling, not too obtrusive, just the right size to carry around. On top of that it's got
a nice PENTAX logo. I tried the Lowepro but the PENTAX is more convenient for me. Available from Henry's Camera for $69.99.

Cheers,

Rene

06-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Keep em coming guys, appreicate the input. I like the Lowepro and those Crumplers look really nice (site is cool, lol).
06-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote
Try the PENTAX sling, not too obtrusive, just the right size to carry around. On top of that it's got
a nice PENTAX logo. I tried the Lowepro but the PENTAX is more convenient for me. Available from Henry's Camera for $69.99.

Cheers,

Rene
You took the words right off of my keyboard. I waas about to suggest the same bag. I can easily fit the following in my Slingbag:

- K100D w/Sigma 17-70 mounted
- Tamron 70-300
- Pentax FA50
- Pentax 10-17
- 2 spare SD cards w/cases
- 49mm CPL and ND filters for the FA50
- 77mm CPL for 17-70
- 3 sets of Eneloops and a small Eneloop charger
- Rocket Blower
- Lens cleaner and cloth
- Business cards

I even have room to squeeze a 28mm prime or 2x TC in there too, but I normally don't carry either of them with me.
06-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OPTMEKX& Quote

Cheers,

Rene
Thanks man, I actually searched a bit, and I think Wal-Mart has it for 45.00

06-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FckShoes Quote
Thanks man, I actually searched a bit, and I think Wal-Mart has it for 45.00
The only thing you may want to do is sew a patch over the PENTAX logo. Having a bag that screams "Camera Inside" is not necessarily a good thing.
06-23-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
WJW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
The only thing you may want to do is sew a patch over the PENTAX logo. Having a bag that screams "Camera Inside" is not necessarily a good thing.
I have one on order and O was thinking black Sharpie...........
06-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been looking recently for a bag that's good for hiking or on the street and the Kata T-214 looks like a decent setup. It's a littler smaller than I'd like but I like the sling style and it's not ugly like the LowePro slings or sorry, Pentax. Kata are a little expensive but then again so are most camera bag.

Here's a awesome list of Kata bags and options of gear you can hold:

Kata Bag Chooser

Just looking through the list, never really payed much attention to this one before, the DR-465 and DR467 look awesome, inexpensive and you can pick your choice of color - nice Red/Black to go with the PENTAX colors.

Kata | DR-465 Digital Rucksack | KT DR-465-BR | B&H Photo Video
Kata | DR-467 Digital Rucksack | KT DR-467-BR | B&H Photo Video

-Greg

Last edited by F-Stop; 06-24-2008 at 01:07 AM.
06-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just want to say: great username
06-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Lowepro | Off Trail 2 Camera Beltpack | 2011810 | B&H Photo Video

I have been looking at a new bag myself and I am thinking about this one myself, it looks like it would be a good light travel kit to me.
06-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, I think I have narrowed it down to the Domke or the Crumpler line. I've decided that I would rather have a shoulder bag than a back pack at this point. Any places that sell Crumplers besides online? I've checked local chain stores with no luck (I figured).
06-25-2008, 05:15 PM   #14

I bought a slightly used billingham 206 a couple of months ago from ebay for about 90GBP includin postage to Greece. You can find many of them as low as 60GBP depending on condition. It is a bag that will last for the rest of your life. It also very stylish giving that old news reporter feel with the canvas and leather details. I love it. It is a bit heavy but when on the strap i can hardly feel it even with the heavy film-era Nikon F90x, 3 lenses and a flash unit. I ahas room for filters, spare sd cards (or rolls of film...), a rear A4 sized pocket and a water resistance canvas all over...
06-26-2008, 10:22 AM   #15

Original Poster
Just ordered a Crumpler 6 million, thanks for all the replies!