Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2015, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ive used a few different types over the years but for my landscape work, I very much prefer a 3-way head (i think what you are calling a pan head) over the ball head because i like to lock in 2 axes and then have precise control over the third. I also used to get a subtle drop of position when using heavy gear on a ball which i do not get with the 3-way.
Mine are long obsolete but I use a couple of Manfrotto 329RC4 heads. This model supports 20lbs IIRC.

10-31-2015, 05:40 PM   #32
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mike; yes, I think for me; a 3-way head would be the best for me. Thanks for your post, I'm pretty sold on Manfrotto.
10-31-2015, 05:54 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've always used a Pan/Tilt Head (Manfrotto #3126); and am wondering what are the advantages/disadvantages of Ball Heads over this type of head?
I use a pan/tilt tripod head (on left tripod) when panning or shooting stationary or slow-moving subjects.

I use a gimbal tripod head (on right tripod) when shooting fast-moving subjects with long and/or heavy lenses. The gimbal head uses balance and counter balance to neutralize the weight of my heavy lenses.

I use an Acratech Ultimate ball head when shooting fast-moving subjects with a moderate telephoto lens. I tend to use my ball head more on a monopod than a tripod.

Last edited by Narsuitus; 10-31-2015 at 08:03 PM.
10-31-2015, 06:06 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a Leica TiltAll on the left! I just got one for my dad.

10-31-2015, 06:51 PM   #35
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I know Leica & Acratech are out of my price range; but the equipment sure is beautiful!
10-31-2015, 06:54 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Carol I use a ball head myself, and yes they can drop after tight in them, but for birding I would never go back to a pan head. I have a Three Legged Thing tripod I bought from Outdoor Photo Gear. The Ball Head supports my K3, grip and the Sigma 50-500 with no problem. I know I could find nothing under two hundred dollars that would work. Outdoor Photo Gear has a demo delight section with heavily discounted items. I have been buying from them for a long time and have always been happy https://www.outdoorphotogear.com/tripods-heads-supports/. I have this tripod as a lightweight travel pod and it works ok with my K3 and 55-300 plus the AF 540 flash with the Better Beamer https://www.outdoorphotogear.com/tripods-heads-supports/. The head is not the strongest but it will work with my Sigma 50-500 too.
Michael
10-31-2015, 08:17 PM   #37
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Michael, thanks so much for the link!

10-31-2015, 08:20 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Hi Carol. Looks like you're going towards the Manfrotto pan or ball, but thought ai would offer my .02 anyway. I love the Manfrotto 055 legs, I have two different-weight sets of aluminum 3-section. Very sturdy. Howver, I've switched from using Manfotto heads because of their proprietary clamp system. The darn thing can't accept anyone else's brackets and arca-swiss type have become nearly universal for most everyone else. I got caught with the Manfrotto clamps at first and wound up replacing them.

I don't like panheads for the type of photography I do. They still work great for slow-setup landscape shots, but for anything potentially in motion, there's too much to mess around with. That's why so many folks started using ballheads. One hand does it. Take a look at SunwayFoto ballheads. Less expensive than the bigger names, but very sturdy and well made, imo.
11-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #39
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for such an informative post; I never realized that about the Manfrottos, and that definitely might be a game changer! I'll look into the SunwayFoto heads also!

I'm getting lots of great information & tips here, and it's certainly appreciated from one that really doesn't know what head to consider!
11-01-2015, 07:21 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Thanks for such an informative post; I never realized that about the Manfrottos, and that definitely might be a game changer! I'll look into the SunwayFoto heads also!

I'm getting lots of great information & tips here, and it's certainly appreciated from one that really doesn't know what head to consider!
At least on your human body you only have one head to think about (Unless your Zaphod Beeblebrox...)
11-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #41
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, but my head is the most difficult to think about!
11-01-2015, 08:24 AM   #42
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Looks like I'm going to go with the Induro Ballhead & legs. There's a deal on one setup; but I can't get it right now.

https://www.outdoorphotogear.com/induro-grand-turismo-agt214-aluminum-8m-tri...all-head-deal/

If it's gone, then I'll go with the BHM2 Ballhead, and the AT114 legs.
11-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Looks like I'm going to go with the Induro Ballhead & legs. There's a deal on one setup; but I can't get it right now.

https://www.outdoorphotogear.com/induro-grand-turismo-agt214-aluminum-8m-tri...all-head-deal/

Looks like a good deal.

Earlier on in the thread you were sold on 3-way heads...
11-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Carol I looked at that one too. I do need need a better setup for the Bigma.
11-01-2015, 09:10 AM   #45
Pentaxian

i've got an induro leg set and I like it alot. well done